Heads up on ELD-X

143gr ELD-X handloads from 6.5 Creedmoor 100yards

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for posting those results. That's awfully impressive to me to see the bullet track so straight through and penetrate that deep.

I'm even more impressed with the weight retention since it's technically not a "bonded bullet".

Looking at how it clings to the jacket it sure looks like a well bonded bullet to me.

I'm also impressed that it didn't over expand even with the rather high impact velocity which has to be in excess of 2,650 if my off the top of my head calculations are correct.

I can't wait to see how the 220's perform in the 300Rum and the 200's do in the 300wm.

Well I finally got a chance to try out the 300 win mag ammo but my rifle was not too happy with them. I only did two groups of three but both groups were 11/8 inch. I had some Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip which gave me less than half inch groups. I intend to give them one more try because after I got it sighted in for the Federal, which took some time, I discovered my vertical adjustment was not tracking properly. I removed the scope and sent it in to get repaired.

After I got home from the camp my box of 7mag came in and they were perfect. I also made a trip to Cabelas again and they had the 308 178 grain which I checked and they were also perfect. I guess I was just lucky to get one of the worst boxes of 300 win mag.

Well I finally got a chance to try out the 300 win mag ammo but my rifle was not too happy with them. I only did two groups of three but both groups were 11/8 inch. I had some Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip which gave me less than half inch groups. I intend to give them one more try because after I got it sighted in for the Federal, which took some time, I discovered my vertical adjustment was not tracking properly. I removed the scope and sent it in to get repaired.

After I got home from the camp my box of 7mag came in and they were perfect. I also made a trip to Cabelas again and they had the 308 178 grain which I checked and they were also perfect. I guess I was just lucky to get one of the worst boxes of 300 win mag.
I think most of us have suffered from busted scopes ruin an outing at least once.

Let us know when you get a good scope mounted up and you get another chance to try them out.

Unfortunately with factory ammo it's always a crap shoot even when everything else is right.

Got the scopes back and one was repaired and the other, a Zeiss they said they could not find anything wrong with it. It was mounted on a Browning X bolt with Weaver bases and Warne rings. I checked the bases and found that they were loose. Apparently my screwdriver was biting into the sides of the holes causing it to feel tight. When I got my torque screwdriver which is straight I found they were a little loose.
The 300 win mag 200 grain averaged about 5/8 inch groups. About half of what I was getting before the scope repair.
The 308 was between 1/2 and 3/4.
The Browning X-bolt has got me puzzled. It is the one with the Zeiss on it. I was strictly going for group size so once I got it on paper I went from there. I put two shots 3/4 inch apart then the 3rd & 4th shot 5/8 inch apart but 2 1/4 inches below the first two with the same aiming point. The fifth shot was back up 2 1/2 inches with the first two shots. What the Hell??? I wrapped that one up and will deal with it later. I was at my hunting camp and on the way home stopped and picked up some Tally light weight mounts for it. Next time I get a chance I will take it out with some already proven ammo plus a spare scope in case it does it to me again.
Looks like the 300 and 308 will be happy with the ELD-X rounds. Now I just have to use up the 100 or so rounds of 308 Nosler Trophy 165 Accubonds.

Got the scopes back and one was repaired and the other, a Zeiss they said they could not find anything wrong with it. It was mounted on a Browning X bolt with Weaver bases and Warne rings. I checked the bases and found that they were loose. Apparently my screwdriver was biting into the sides of the holes causing it to feel tight. When I got my torque screwdriver which is straight I found they were a little loose.
The 300 win mag 200 grain averaged about 5/8 inch groups. About half of what I was getting before the scope repair.
The 308 was between 1/2 and 3/4.
The Browning X-bolt has got me puzzled. It is the one with the Zeiss on it. I was strictly going for group size so once I got it on paper I went from there. I put two shots 3/4 inch apart then the 3rd & 4th shot 5/8 inch apart but 2 1/4 inches below the first two with the same aiming point. The fifth shot was back up 2 1/2 inches with the first two shots. What the Hell??? I wrapped that one up and will deal with it later. I was at my hunting camp and on the way home stopped and picked up some Tally light weight mounts for it. Next time I get a chance I will take it out with some already proven ammo plus a spare scope in case it does it to me again.
Looks like the 300 and 308 will be happy with the ELD-X rounds. Now I just have to use up the 100 or so rounds of 308 Nosler Trophy 165 Accubonds.
If your current mounts and rings are installed properly changing them should not affect your groups.

The factor most likely affecting your group size is the shooter.

The 300wm with 200gr pills has enough recoil to cause most people to flinch especially as the number of shots fired increases.

If your current mounts and rings are installed properly changing them should not affect your groups.

The factor most likely affecting your group size is the shooter.

The 300wm with 200gr pills has enough recoil to cause most people to flinch especially as the number of shots fired increases.

Believe me WildRose, I know this well. I have cut my nose twice and kissed it several times since I got the 300 mag but the one giving me trouble is the 7 mag. I actually got the best groups with the 300 mag which surprised me a little since I was holding it so tight. I am not a little man, 6'2" and 205 lbs, so I can absorb a little recoil but I also am no "spring chicken" at 58 years old I can only absorb it so much before I have had enough. I have only put about two boxes of shells through it so far and once I get my data for a custom dial I will just confirm it once in a while but practice more with the 308 which is almost an identical rifle and waaaaaay more enjoyable to shoot.

First chance I get I'll get back out with the 7mag with more ammo plus a backup scope to see what happens. If everything is good I'll just have to take it back down to change the stock on it anyway as the rubber on it is breaking down and is sticky as Hell. Would like to put a McMillan Hunter on it which is what I have on the 300 and the 308 is the same design just not a McMillan. It is the stock Sako 75 Finnlight.

Believe me WildRose, I know this well. I have cut my nose twice and kissed it several times since I got the 300 mag but the one giving me trouble is the 7 mag. I actually got the best groups with the 300 mag which surprised me a little since I was holding it so tight. I am not a little man, 6'2" and 205 lbs, so I can absorb a little recoil but I also am no "spring chicken" at 58 years old I can only absorb it so much before I have had enough. I have only put about two boxes of shells through it so far and once I get my data for a custom dial I will just confirm it once in a while but practice more with the 308 which is almost an identical rifle and waaaaaay more enjoyable to shoot.

First chance I get I'll get back out with the 7mag with more ammo plus a backup scope to see what happens. If everything is good I'll just have to take it back down to change the stock on it anyway as the rubber on it is breaking down and is sticky as Hell. Would like to put a McMillan Hunter on it which is what I have on the 300 and the 308 is the same design just not a McMillan. It is the stock Sako 75 Finnlight.

I can relate to your "no spring chicken" statement.....at age 62 and 4 shoulder surgeries including a complete replacement 3.5 months ago, I can't handle long sessions at the bench either with a heavy recoiling rifle. I fixed that years ago by putting muzzle brakes on anything with any recoil at all and now I enjoy shooting them and extend shooting sessions are the norm instead of the exception! Helps accuracy Tremendously!!

I'm not far behind you on age and pretty close on weight.

For me the key to enjoying shooting my magnums is a quality muzzle brake. I use the North West Precision slotted version and like it well enough I have it on 9 rifles now.

It's not terrible on the ears if you have to take a shot hunting without ear protection and really tames both the recoil and muzzle flip.

You can order them right off of ebay. Last I checked I think they were still around 50-75.00 and worth every penny.

I got two boxes of Precision Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with the 143s from Midway.
Mainly because they were out of stock on brass, and I thought I could just fire form the factory stuff and get some shooting in. The ammo was in very good shape, and I was amazed with the accuracy I got with it. I hope to duplicate the load, I know where I'll start with the COAL, that's for sure....

I got two boxes of Precision Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with the 143s from Midway.
Mainly because they were out of stock on brass, and I thought I could just fire form the factory stuff and get some shooting in. The ammo was in very good shape, and I was amazed with the accuracy I got with it. I hope to duplicate the load, I know where I'll start with the COAL, that's for sure....

The factory ELDMs shot real good for me .298" & .465" but the Precision Hunter ELD-Xs didn't shoot as well, .712" best group.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts