Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

HI Buddy, Its Lenny. 30-06 definitely NOT dead . Not talking about the Big Brown bears of the north , or African dangerous game right now . . If a guy had to have just one rifle for all his hunting , ( Lord Forbid ) , an accurate Bolt action rifle, in 30-06 would be a top choice. It was great when it was new , and its even better today thanks to very intelligent bullet design. Loads will involve the use IMR or H 4350, and 165 grn bullets and 180 Grn . I happen to like Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Accubonds for hunting, but there are many other great ones. I'm a big .270 Win Fan for deer, but I have two 30-6 rifles I love. One is an Inter arms Mark X Mauser action, 20 Inch Barrel, Manlicher ( Spelling ) stock. I use 55 .5 grns. IMR 4350 , 165 Grn bullet. That's my NY state , Maine , woods Rifle. The other is a fully Engraved FN rifle, with German Claw Mounts , and Dual Set Triggers. Ill send you some pictures.

No. Neither is dead or even rare for that matter.

Every time I look at a Walmart, academy, or lgs there are tons of 30-06 and 308 bullets. Just as many or more as 6.5 stuff. I'm not on the 6.5 train, so I really just look over it. But I guess there are 4 or 5 different cartridges for it. From what I can tell there are just as many 308 options as there are in all the 6.5 cartridges combined. And the 30-06 is not far behind the 308 as far as availability and options. At least where I've been looking.

FWIW I have a 308, a 30-06 and a 7mmRM. Would not part with any one of them.

My number 1 recommendation for new hunters buying a rifle is a .308. Its polite, inexpensive to shoot, and is very effective for MANY hunting conditions. I'm not as much of a 06 fan because its kind of a pretender -not really a magnum but more than a 308.
Its good to have options and we are seeing a bunch of boutique cartridges offered recently. I'm not sold on the idea that the new stuff is really better(except bullets and barrels). My basic belief is that the brass mostly just holds powder and there maybe some efficiencies in design, but capacity rules the roost. So, the biggest advancement is the faster twist barrels and bullet design. Cartridges not so much.

I can't disagree with this except,

"..not much of a '06 fan because it's kind of a pretender - not really a magnum but more than a 308."

I believe this is the "06 strong suit, not a magnum. Horse power (read: powder capacity) to sent projectiles - 110 grain to 220 grain - down range with sufficient velocity for a modern projectile in the boiler works to dispatch any North American game, as well as most game world wide cleanly.

30/06 and 308W are neck an neck until one choices to go to the heavier projectiles, edge to the '06 for the one gun hunter.

Not so much recoil (7# to 9# rifle) that majority of hunters cannot shoot proficiently.

As stated above, projectile selection for prairie dogs to the big bears.

Modern projectiles, and propellants, should breath new life into the '06 and other legacy cartridges.

In the interest of full disclosure,
I am a supporter of the 30/06.
Over my lifetime I have heard the siren song of numerous new girl(s) in town. I own and hunt with numerous rifle platforms and cartridges.
Variety is the spice of life.

30/06 will do it. 1953 year of production a 721-B the only one I have ever seen. killed everything I have ever pointed at. one shot.. It really is too nice to go to the woods, but on a good day cold below freezing or a clear day I will take her out. whitetail 165 speer at 2850 will do the trick.
How do you know it is a B model?
hey AR I used to use h-414 very close t0 380 but now I use Reloader22 and a lot of it and my pressure is lower and velocity almost 2900 with 165 -- It is a very good powder from Sweden- I think i get loads from hornady manual or a Nosler book. anyway it shoot real good. also did you notice the B grade has hand cut checkered stock... I can not believe that someone in Mississippi where I lived for 55 years could let this gun go to a pawn shop. I paid less the 300 for the thing and I love it.
Montana, I have never seen a Rem 721 with z checkered stock, Thanks for the info. I have a new bottle of RL22 waiting to finish my test with H380 before I start with the RL22.

In an easy to understand term... NO... for a myriad of reasons too lengthy to go into, just a fact.

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.

Its not dead. Its better than ever with modern powders and bullets. I recommend you look closely at the offering from Steyr (Steyr Mannlicher).

The 30-06 and 308 are nowhere close to death. Most of the local deer and elk hunters around are still using one or both, and back East for Whitetail, it is just as popular as ever. I have a couple of long throated 06's that drive 165gr bullets well over 3,000fps and 180gr over 2,900fps. Those loads are still great for elk and longer range deer.

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

I'm having sub moa results with 56.5 to 58+ gr RL 16 and WLRM primer under 150 Accubond or Ballistic tip. Searching for seating depth now to tighten up the groups.

Yep, and I have never had to dump a mag of 308 into one either! Follow-up shots, well no one wants to hear about our
screw-ups!!!
My 375 H&H or cheyTac would have not done any better with that kind of bad bullet placement.

Was at a friends 4th of July BBQ couple of years ago. All the young guys were about 50 yards away from the house shooting all the "new" fun stuff....old veterans stayed up on the porch watching literally from rocking chairs.

As soon as reached in the bed of my truck and took my 1942 Springfield M1 Garand out of the case, the old guys all came down off the porch. Ended up being most everyone's favorite.

30-06 will be around as long as I'm around. And when it came around to setting of the Tannerite....they always reverted to the Savage bolt in 308.

06 and 30 30 probably killed more game in the US than all others combined...still will...whatever you like these days. I have my original Rem 06 from 1968....many Deer and Elk with it...Coyote...then I could afford more calibers...and here we are....fun times....use what you like...try them out...more the merrier....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.