Has there ever been a 22/30-06

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Well Fred, I know from reading your post. That I or anybody else has to school you on necking up or down brass, stability with velocity, (which very seldom increases enough to matter, especially across all temps and air densities.) so I say don't go over a 70gr. bullet. That way there is no false reading of a barrel shooting bad that might be a excellent shooter.

Well Fred, I know from reading your post. That I or anybody else has to school you on necking up or down brass, stability with velocity, (which very seldom increases enough to matter, especially across all temps and air densities.) so I say don't go over a 70gr. bullet. That way there is no false reading of a barrel shooting bad that might be a excellent shooter.
I said possibly, I never said it was a guarantee. But nice attempt at throwing me under the bus...

I said possibly, I never said it was a guarantee. But nice attempt at throwing me under the bus...
I wasn't throwing you under the bus mud. Just stating to Fred what he already knows.

its not always about you bud.

Anyway Fred, I wonder what powder you should use? I'm diggin this concept. I have a old 98 sporter I was thinking about a .280 or a.284 but maybe....

Last edited:
Pretty simple solution...shoot 70's first and if they shoot sub moa then try out some 80's. I would bet they would be just fine in the 9 twist out of a 22-243 or greater. My 8 twist shoots 90's just fine.

Pretty simple solution...shoot 70's first and if they shoot sub moa then try out some 80's. I would bet they would be just fine in the 9 twist out of a 22-243 or greater. My 8 twist shoots 90's just fine.
I got this itch because the barrel is a 9 twist and the thought of shooting a 223 with 55 grainers is a bummer. I'd rather get a different barrel for a .223 F-TR rig and use this one for some kind of speed daemon.

The CH4 die list is impressive.

I wasn't throwing you under the bus mud. Just stating to Fred what he already knows.

its not always about you bud.

Anyway Fred, I wonder what powder you should use? I'm diggin this concept. I have a old 98 sporter I was thinking about a .280 or a.284 but maybe....

L:DL!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 47
.224 Vias works pretty well too. Mine runs 80 gr. JLKs at 3610. A friend had a .22-284 and shot the barrel out in less than 600 rnds. He called it a Vulkarie.

There is the 2.400" 220 Howell. From the creator, author Ken Howell

1. The .220 Howell is a factory load, not a wildcat.
2. Loaded ammo and factory brass are available ...
3. ... or form from .25-06, .270, .280, '06 cases.
4. Over-all length with 75-grain Hornady A-Max seated 0.555 inch is 2.925 inches.
5. Optimum twist for this bullet is one turn in eight or nine inches.
6. More info at | American Hunting Rifles | Quality, Reliability and Accuracy
7. Optimum powders: Ramshot Magnum, IMR 7828
8. approximate performance with Ramshot Magnum, 26-inch barrel (exact performance in unknown rifle is impossible to predict):
-- 50.0 gr, ~ 3,200 ft/sec, ~ 39,000 lb/sq in.
-- 54.5 gr, ~ 3,600 ft/sec, ~ 52,500 lb/sq in.
-- 54.9 gr, ~ 3,650 ft/sec, ~ 54,000 lb/sq in.

Steps in forming case:

1. Anneal shoulder and upper body.
2. Shove outer shoulder back with 8x57mm Mauser sizer die.
3. Shove more shoulder back with 7x57mm Mauser sizer die, backed-off [by amount I don't recall exactly].
4. Shove more shoulder back with .257 Roberts sizer die, backed-off [by amount necessary)
5. Size in .220 Howell sizer.
6. Trim to 2.400 inches and deburr mouth.
7. Anneal neck and shoulder.

link with discussion on 24 hr campfire:

220 Howell | Ask The Gunwriters | 24hourcampfire

One thing to note on "heavies" is that the barrel is a 9 twist. So ~70 grains is the limit.

The recent release of the Sierra 69 grain Tipped Matchkings might be just the ticket for what you are considering. I just received some, but won't have time to work with them for awhile.

I have had excellent results shooting 69 grain SMK's from my 12 twist 22-250 down to 1000 ft ASL and 40* F. My 9 twist .223 is showing promise with both 75 grain BTHP's and 75 grain AMAX's in the same conditions.

I realize these things can be highly variable between individual rifles, but the 75's may well be worth a try in your rifle. Of course, bc loss from less than optimum stabilization could still leave bullets in the 70 grain range as the overall winners. It would be interesting to see how they stack up.

There is the 2.400" 220 Howell. From the creator, author Ken Howell

1. The .220 Howell is a factory load, not a wildcat.
2. Loaded ammo and factory brass are available ...
3. ... or form from .25-06, .270, .280, '06 cases.
4. Over-all length with 75-grain Hornady A-Max seated 0.555 inch is 2.925 inches.
5. Optimum twist for this bullet is one turn in eight or nine inches.
6. More info at | American Hunting Rifles | Quality, Reliability and Accuracy
7. Optimum powders: Ramshot Magnum, IMR 7828
8. approximate performance with Ramshot Magnum, 26-inch barrel (exact performance in unknown rifle is impossible to predict):
-- 50.0 gr, ~ 3,200 ft/sec, ~ 39,000 lb/sq in.
-- 54.5 gr, ~ 3,600 ft/sec, ~ 52,500 lb/sq in.
-- 54.9 gr, ~ 3,650 ft/sec, ~ 54,000 lb/sq in.

Steps in forming case:

1. Anneal shoulder and upper body.
2. Shove outer shoulder back with 8x57mm Mauser sizer die.
3. Shove more shoulder back with 7x57mm Mauser sizer die, backed-off [by amount I don't recall exactly].
4. Shove more shoulder back with .257 Roberts sizer die, backed-off [by amount necessary)
5. Size in .220 Howell sizer.
6. Trim to 2.400 inches and deburr mouth.
7. Anneal neck and shoulder.

link with discussion on 24 hr campfire:

220 Howell | Ask The Gunwriters | 24hourcampfire

I am a bit surprised that Ramshot Magnum and 7828 are the optimum powders for an -06 based .224. Given that similar case capacity rounds with larger bores are known to do well with Retumbo and H1000, I would expect Retumbo, and perhaps RL-33 to offer better performance with something like this.

I am just desktop troubleshooting here, since I have zero real world experience with something like this. My curiosity is definitely getting the better of me, though...

I am a bit surprised that Ramshot Magnum and 7828 are the optimum powders for an -06 based .224. Given that similar case capacity rounds with larger bores are known to do well with Retumbo and H1000, I would expect Retumbo, and perhaps RL-33 to offer better performance with something like this.

I am just desktop troubleshooting here, since I have zero real world experience with something like this. My curiosity is definitely getting the better of me, though...
I use 7828 in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI with excellent results. I haven't had a need to try H1000 or Retumbo in either of them yet, so I can't comment on those powders and how well they work. But on Reloader's Nest, there are alot of loads for '06 based calibers using H1000, as well.

I fired 75 grain Hornady and 80 grain Sierras in my Savage .223 with its 9 twist. I fired them before I heard they wouldn't work. They worked out to 724 yards. In fact my longest 'chuck kill was with the 75 Hornady A-Max at 527 yards.

Sometimes ignorance is an asset.

There was the 1960's a series of Gibbs rifles made on 30-06 or 270 280 brass. In The Gibbs Series was .22, .24, .25,6.5 mm,7mm, 30 and 35 cal cases with sharper shoulders and shorter necks. Many early experimenters used 270 or 280 brass because of the longer smaller neck to start reducing. The 22 Cheetah was a brain child of Fred Huntington of RCBS and the Outdoor Life Gun editor Jim Carmichael. They used Remington 308 BR brass with the Small Rifle primer pocket. A one time it held the 22 speed record using a Iron Sentered Rem. 22 Rocket Bullet at over 6000 FPS if my memory is right.
Foot Note The 22 Rocket was a Remington cartridge loaded in a 22 Short case with a Sintered Iron bullet, no lead. They came about 30 shells to a box that looked like a Chicklett Breath Mint box, With the little plastic window you could see the shells through. They was make in the 1950's to early 1960's. On our farm we kept them around to deal with rats in feed bins in the Grainery.

I have a 22-284. Brass is easy to form starting with 6.5-284 brass neck it down to 6 mm then down to 22. Redding dies are easy to find.
Gun is a 700 remington with a 27 inch number 4 fluted Brux barrel one in eight twist.
I am shooting a 80 grain berger at about 3650 fps using r-25 and a cci magnum primer.
Haven't pushed them any harder as they shoot really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts