6.8 Western- has it been abandoned already?

Not to mention sectional density on the heavies...penetration... And the whole new world of performance potential with the new monos.

Lots of different ways to look at this whole picture, and the differences are evident in this discussion. I'm not the type, though, to get satisfaction from trash-talking. Can we just embrace the reality that different folks have different interests, needs, and wants? It strikes as a bit insipid when someone comes across as if anything outside of their particular perspective or envelope of use & experience is rubbish. Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I'm more philosophical than that...
You're not wrong. However, a fair portion of this discussion revolves around topics that can be proved or disproved.

As they say, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but facts are facts.

You're not wrong. However, a fair portion of this discussion revolves around topics that can be proved or disproved.

As they say, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but facts are facts.
We're talking about perspectives of the "facts". It might be a fact that someone doesn't see a need for 6.5 Creed when there's a 260 Rem. Might also be a fact that someone else appreciates the unique differences between them.

What I find really interesting in these rapidly changing times is how the gun/bullet manufacturers are going nuts coming up with the next long range lightning in a bottle cartridge or bullet and then us shooters and sportsmen are buying and making custom rifles with 20 inch barrels. With the use of the suppressor nobody wants to pack around a rifle with a 30+ barrel. And let's face it 18 to 21 inch barreled rifles are so nice to carry, toss in a saddle scabbard, blind or jeep. So that ultra sleek high BC bullet for 1000 yds is now cut down to 5 or 600 with the much lower starting muzzle velocity. I see this interesting dichotomy between function and comfort. It puts guys in California in a really tough spot with the mono metals. I shoot a 20" barrel 308 quite often in CA. Have to shoot copper. So I'm using Absolute Hammers to get the highest velocity I can get. At the end of the day, it's a 400 yd rifle. I trust the bullet will function and take game responsibly at this distance. I see the most efficient cartridges coming out on top in the future and the short fat bullets 308 cal and above are going to struggle with tomorrow's hunters and shooters. Where is that niche going to be? Definitely 6.5. Definitely 7 saum. Maybe 6.8 Western. I think it has a chance. It's fun campfire talk for me. I didn't join thus group because I'm a long range hunter, I did it for the wealth of knowledge and opinions all you folks have. Long range for me with my bow is 60 yds. My 44 lever action, it's 150 yds. My 270 WSM with 170 eol's I shoot it 1300 yds. Everyone has their OWN perspective of what long range is depending on the weapon and terrain. I can appreciate everyone's perspectives. 👍

Seems like the hype has run its course when it comes to the 6.8 Western. I have yet to find a rifle chambered for it anywhere, and only found ammo in a local Bass Pro Shop, and only 3 boxes at that. It might be just me, but I feel that 6.8 Western seems to have been abandoned already by Browning/Winchester. If that is the case, it's a shame, because I feel it's a great cartridge that has some potential as a good all around cartridge. What are your thoughts? Does anyone on here own one, and if you do what do you think?
You didn't mention Remington being involved with Western. Any cartridge Remington Marketing put their spin on promptly died.

Zen

Really? Why? Was modern winchester brass of a very niche cartridge just so appealing for a wildcat? Looked at the cartridges 4 grains under wsm and went.... nah those don't do it for me give me an almost instant orphan for my wildcats....

The argument from my buddy last year was, hey its literally the only thing on the shelf with ammo and rifle and it's a barrel away from fixed when it's eventually rcm/30tc"ed. Which fair enough was a valid salient point.

As to the remington comment.... the rsaum should probably have been still born but somehow made it to high enough status that premium brass Co's made it long before wsm. The rum line was about as successful as the wsm line. The 338 and 375 probably saw a lot less action as did the 325 wsm and oddly enough the 7 never caught like it probably should have. Suffice to say remington isn't batting below winchester.

Last edited:
Zen

Really? Why? Was modern winchester brass of a very niche cartridge just so appealing for a wildcat? Looked at the cartridges 4 grains under wsm and went.... nah those don't do it for me give me an almost instant orphan for my wildcats....

The argument from my buddy last year was, hey its literally the only thing on the shelf with ammo and rifle and it's a barrel away from fixed when it's eventually rcm/30tc"ed. Which fair enough was a valid salient point.

As to the remington comment.... the rsaum should probably have been still born but somehow made it to high enough status that premium brass Co's made it long before wsm. The rum line was about as successful as the wsm line. The 338 and 375 probably saw a lot less action as did the 325 wsm and oddly enough the 7 never caught like it probably should have. Suffice to say remington isn't batting below winchester.
Interesting history lesson. You're right on.

I actually have a good number of the cartridges you've listed and some that you left out, such as the 358 and 356 Winchester! Some are pretty niche, but I was into odd ball cartridges through the years.

These days I'm sticking more to standard cartridges. They get the job done just the same and you can usually come by components more easily, the last 18 months or so notwithstanding.

I saw a shelf full of 6.8 W ammo this spring when literally every other offer was sold out. I thought the same as your buddy: If I needed a rig to go on a hunt, I'd buy one just because you could actually get ammo. If/when it goes the way of most other short magnums, a new barrel or a rebore and you can keep right on trucking.

With the emergence of high BC bullets, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a bigger resurgence in short mag cartridges. Have a short mag built in a long or medium action with the right twist and throat for heavies, and you'll have all the COAL you'll ever need. Performance is very high on these rigs because the bullet can be kept out of the powder space.

Last edited:
I think they probably will, mainly due to the increased prevalence of the xm or medium length actions. It seems it's all about timing, increase in suppressor use makes a higher need for more efficient cartridges. Probably bring back some old but good cartridges. Remember 20 years ago when trying to stuff a sleek bullet in the then flavor of the month 6.5x284.... solved now with the combo above.

I think they probably will, mainly due to the increased prevalence of the xm or medium length actions. It seems it's all about timing, increase in suppressor use makes a higher need for more efficient cartridges. Probably bring back some old but good cartridges. Remember 20 years ago when trying to stuff a sleek bullet in the then flavor of the month 6.5x284.... solved now with the combo above.
plain ol 284 is making a comeback to!

plain ol 284 is making a comeback to!
About 10 years ago it really popped up in the long range benchrest guys. Kinda surprised me but it had a few years in the sun.

I think timing of these releases really means as much as it's actual value. Brass wrapped around powder stuffed with equal bullets makes the brass darn near personal preference...

6.5 creed flopped it's first few years but survived until it had its time shine came in. Had it been released a decade earlier in the middle of magnumitis in the late 90s early 2000s it probably wouldn't hardly rank.

Conversely can you imagine winchester releasing a 243, 6.5 wssm class round now? Fast twist, sell them with light weigh game stalker stocks "suppressor" ready at 20 inches. Pitch it as the most efficient way to launch heavies in a suppressor host for alpine hunting... they would probably be all the rage. Same with the 338 rcm, had they been a few years earlier in mid pig hunting Craze it would have had a better chance.

All that to say, I know how many pink salmon it takes to make me a dollar. To get me to part with said dollar.. it's gonna have to be more than 3% different than what's in my safe.

Zen

I too believe the 7wsm would have done better. It's an amazing cartridge.

I too believe the 7wsm would have done better. It's an amazing cartridge.
The WSMs need to be on a long action to shoot the long heavies. The 6.8W and the the PRC... and the sherman shorts all do it right by seating the long heavy bullet as far out of the powder column as possible.
The 284 really needs a long action as well.

1st, why does anybody need a heavier bullet? I've shot 85% of all North American game with a 7mm-08 140gr accubond or partition. Second ,the gunsmith that builds my custom rifle's shoots 150 out of the 270wsm and shoots it accurately out to 850 with zero problems and missed fatal shots. The 6.8 will vanish in the near term.
1st , Because we wants one.

Last edited: