6.8 Western

Tex Hancock

OK I'm just looking for some help here I have a Christiansen arms 6.5 Creedmoor
And I am wanting to build a 6.8 Western can I just have a gun smith swap the barrels and open up the bolt face on the rifle I have or do I need to start with a new action?

OK I'm just looking for some help here I have a Christiansen arms 6.5 Creedmoor
And I am wanting to build a 6.8 Western can I just have a gun smith swap the barrels and open up the bolt face on the rifle I have or do I need to start with a new action?
Pull up the SAAMI Spec's for each and compare the rim dimensions.

Just keep in mind odds are pretty good the 6.8 Western probably won't be around a decade from now so you may find yourself in the same rut many of us have found ourselves in over the years a decade from now trying to find brass and such.

If I wanted a screaming 6.8 honestly I'd probably look at wildcatting using another case such as the 7mmRM or 6.5PRC.

As much as I love for example my 7mm STW's factory ammo can be non existent and even cases very hard to come by for reloading.

Having looked you might be able to use the same bolt but it's going to take quite a bit of opening up. Personally I'd call a gunsmith and ask if it's practicable to do so IF that's really the direction you want to go in.

Action length should be adequate but if it's built on a short action somewhat limiting as to how far out you can seat bullets.

might be more than just opening the bolt face you have also consider mag box and feeding issues seeing your going from .478 to .535
as for brass you can firefore saum brass in the chamber without issue. if given half a chance it is a pretty good cartridge.

Pull up the SAAMI Spec's for each and compare the rim dimensions.

Just keep in mind odds are pretty good the 6.8 Western probably won't be around a decade from now so you may find yourself in the same rut many of us have found ourselves in over the years a decade from now trying to find brass and such.

If I wanted a screaming 6.8 honestly I'd probably look at wildcatting using another case such as the 7mmRM or 6.5PRC.

As much as I love for example my 7mm STW's factory ammo can be non existent and even cases very hard to come by for reloading.
I didn't even think the longevity of the 6.8 western thank you for bringing that up.

I didn't even think the longevity of the 6.8 western thank you for bringing that up.
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but there's so little improvement over the WSM I doubt it will stick. Most new cool calibers are past their lifespan for big commercial sales within 5-10yrs. Ammo, and brass can get real tricky to come by.

Have you looked at the 27NOS?> It's a screamer.

A wildcat off of the 6.5PRC though.... . that could have promise.

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but there's so little improvement over the WSM I doubt it will stick. Most new cool calibers are past their lifespan for big commercial sales within 5-10yrs. Ammo, and brass can get real tricky to come by.

Have you looked at the 27NOS?> It's a screamer.

A wildcat off of the 6.5PRC though.... . that could have promise.
I would love a 27 Nosler but I can't find brass at all and, loaded ammo even if I could find it is 4.00/rd I am beginning to think that I should just give up the idea of a cool new rifle

I would love a 27 Nosler but I can't find brass at all and, loaded ammo even if I could find it is 4.00/rd I am beginning to think that I should just give up the idea of a cool new rifle
Naa, look around I'm sure you can find someone who's done a 6.8/277-6.5 or 300PRC.

The 375Ruger case is the 21st centery equivalent to the H&H and it's a great case to build off of.

Or of course, just go with either the 6.5 or 300PRC and stop pulling your hair out HA!

It's just a great case and people have been wildcatting with it since the first brass hit the market. Before I'm done I'll have the 6.5LRM, 6.5-375Ruger, 7mm-375Ruger, 30-375Ruger and 338-375Ruger.

Honestly I'm really surprised Hornady hasn't already come out with the 338 in a SAAMI Spec Round.