6.8 Western

I would guess that the primary motivation for creating the 6.8western vs building 270wsm rifles with faster than a 1:10 twist is for consumers of factory rifles and factory ammo ... many of those customers who bought ~165gr factory ammo and thought they'd try it in their 1:10 twisted 270wsm would be very disappointed with that ammo maker. Simply because many of those customers have no clue about twist rate and the limitations on their ability to stabilize heavier bullets. There are likely a lot more customers who don't understand than do. And that ratio is flipped on forums like this one.
I believe you are correct. There is much confusing information out there. I appreciate these forums. This allows for sharing of correct information. I learn from them every day.

I really wanted the 6.8 when the news came out that they were being released but my 270 wby with a 8 twist that I built blows the doors off the 6.8 with 165 ablr at 3180 FPS
and I can get components for the weatherby here in Canada.

I really wanted the 6.8 when the news came out that they were being released but my 270 wby with a 8 twist that I built blows the doors off the 6.8 with 165 ablr at 3180 FPS
and I can get components for the weatherby here in Canada.
This is the same as for the 270 WSM with a 7 1/2 twist barrel. Lots more room in the case for powder than the 6.8 Western. I found a node just over 3000 fps that gives me incredible tight groups. I could not find a node in the 3100 fps that was tight enough for my desire, so I stayed around 3050 fps. This is the same for both the 270 WSM and 6.8 Western. I use H4831SC. Still have room in my 6.8 Western case for additional powder. Again for me accuracy is more important than velocity.

This is the same as for the 270 WSM with a 7 1/2 twist barrel. Lots more room in the case for powder than the 6.8 Western. I found a node just over 3000 fps that gives me incredible tight groups. I could not find a node in the 3100 fps that was tight enough for my desire, so I stayed around 3050 fps. This is the same for both the 270 WSM and 6.8 Western. I use H4831SC. Still have room in my 6.8 Western case for additional powder. Again for me accuracy is more important than velocity.
Would you mind sharing the data for your 4831SC loads in both the 6.8 Western and the 270 WSM? And can you confirm those are with the 165 ABLR?
Thanks,
Rex

I know this question will generate a "healthy" discussion therefor here is comes, give me your opinion on the new 6.8 Western round recently introduced by Browning and Winchester and is it a major improvement on the 7mm magnum and other comparable magnum calibers?
BTW, this is my first post on Long Range Hunting Forum
I just finished testing one for Mossy Oak. The article on the test as well as another one "Reloading for the 6.8 Western" are on their web page. I really can't say that the rifle had any less recoil than any 7mm rem mags, but I can say thet the rifle shot great groups with everything I threw at it