6.8 Western- has it been abandoned already?

As long as there are people who have to have every new toy that comes on the market, there will be companies making new things. Even though there is absolutely no need for the new toy. Most of these new cartridges fit in this category. For the folks that like new toys, more power to them. I get along quite well with my 22LR, 223, 25-06 and 338Win Mag.

As long as there are people who have to have every new toy that comes on the market, there will be companies making new things. Even though there is absolutely no need for the new toy. Most of these new cartridges fit in this category. For the folks that like new toys, more power to them. I get along quite well with my 22LR, 223, 25-06 and 338Win Mag.
good for you , and not every person that buys a newer caliber rifle , has to have every new thing that comes out.
I bought one because 1. I want to. 2. Wanted to make sure they weren't forgotten 3. After hearing all the negetive comments I had to have one and 300 rounds of factory
ammo.
4. Absolutely a need for new ideas.
5. Not every hunter/ shooter , builds custom rifles or has them built or has friends that do , so I am glad this caliber for heavier bullets came out in a factory rifle.

Seems like the hype has run its course when it comes to the 6.8 Western. I have yet to find a rifle chambered for it anywhere, and only found ammo in a local Bass Pro Shop, and only 3 boxes at that. It might be just me, but I feel that 6.8 Western seems to have been abandoned already by Browning/Winchester. If that is the case, it's a shame, because I feel it's a great cartridge that has some potential as a good all around cartridge. What are your thoughts? Does anyone on here own one, and if you do what do you think?
Very viable and popular. You're not going to hear about it on here because there is no Fluff for Custom Rifles in the Caliber. Browning off the shelf is plenty for it's purpose.

Those were all "new toys" at one point also.

Very viable and popular. You're not going to hear about it on here because there is no Fluff for Custom Rifles in the Caliber. Browning off the shelf is plenty for it's purpose.
Can tsk tsk the purveyors of fluff and custom, but that browning is merely a response of the custom fluff that was developed in no small part by the purveyors of "here".

I mean sortta... fist predates 5 generations, 338 win mag predates my parents and the rest would classify for a meal discount with an aarp card.
Understood. Just making the point things improve in small increments. Seems like every new cartridge that comes out some people complain about because it isn't a groundbreaking invention just a little better than what we already have. I appreciate new cartridges. Although I will probably never own a 6.8 W because I already own a .270 Win. Is the 6.8W better than the .270 win.? That is for the consumer to decide.

Might be getting in the weeds a mite, but here goes.

Objectively it's better than a 270 winchester in every way save price and one down in the chamber.

That's not really most of our gripe. My issue and one that seems to resonate is why did winchester release the 270 wsm and then release 6.8 western (functionally it's ballistic twin) less than 20 years later. The only argument being one twist inch faster and 15 grains heavier factory bullets. It's more like if remington had released the 260 and then a few years later, in the midst of a component shortage and ammo drought for the 260 decided to launch a 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 300 wsm, 300rsaum, 300 rcm lifted a few eyebrows but at least it was major companies competing for market share. In this instance it's one company competing with itself for an arguably nice market. The 150-180 grain short action magnum market has got to be near saturation.

Any gun that sells is a win for the sport, doesn't mean some won't raise a few eyebrows.

Objectively it's better than a 270 winchester in every way save price and one down in the chamber.
The 6.8 is better than a factory std 1:10 .270 BUT it is not better than a fast twist 1:8 or faster .270 that has freebore to accommodate same high BC heavier bullets. The velocities are comparable virtually every bullet. The big difference is comparing a LA versus SA which is no big deal IMO.

That's not really most of our gripe. My issue and one that seems to resonate is why did winchester release the 270 wsm and then release 6.8 western (functionally it's ballistic twin) less than 20 years later.
I am guessing here but there is probably a couple reasons. The 270 WSM didn't take off the way they obviously hoped it would. They see Hornady with the 6.5 PRC and they figure they can steal some of that market with something that is slightly faster and shoots a slightly heavier bullet. Will most shooters or game animals know the difference probably not. But some shooters will say it is better just based on the numbers on the box and buy it based on that alone. Building a rifle based on a 20 year old cartridge that never really took off with a faster barrel twist will go over most shooters head and they probably feel it would flop again and they are probably right.

My point is why gripe about it? Their timing isn't great other than there are supposedly more people getting into shooting but that is their issue. A company that isn't growing is dieing and we should be thankful when companies in this industry grow. It may also contribute to more 27 cal. bullet choices in the future. I agree it wasn't "needed" but if it takes off good for them. If it doesn't they wasted their time and money.

The whole issue comes down to the failure of firearm manufacturers to historically step away from "safe" standard marketing of cartridges. When I mean safe, I mean middle road thinking and not any forethought to how the rifle market is changing with new products that provide shooters more technology to shoot further more accurately. I seriously wonder how competent their R&D and marketing groups were to interact with each other. It was like old Henry Ford adage "they can have any color they want as long as it is black".

It seems that there is a new mindset out there but unfortunately will not benefit historical cartridges that could have been significantly better. As result, so called new cartridges are being released to "fix" the "defects" of past cartridge design.

So the marketing is the new cartridges "out perform" the "old"cartridges in factory standard configurations. Which is absolutely true for most part.

This is not a bad thing to pull new shooters into our sport with the "marketing" hype. I was also thinking how many standard cartridge donor actions are now available from these new shooters that want to "step up" to these new cartridges! So this is a good result too!😂

Ok, I need another cup of coffee from wandering into la la land.

The only "Problem" I see is all the hype for "Short Actions" and down grading "Long Actions" which is a False concept. Within the United States the 30-06 is on a STANDARD ACTION which is 3.34 Inches, where a short action is 2.8". The 300 RUM & 378 WBY are true Long Action Rifles. I blame this hyperbole on Ethel Gasoline.

Last edited:
I consider 3.34 a medium action, but I know that there has been actions built specifically for 7x57 cartridges that fall in between a short action and an '06 action, so the short/medium/long delineations don't say much. Best is to list length like you did.

I own a few, but I don't see the utility in true short actions. Reductions in overall rifle length, weight and cycling times are minimal to the point of being marketing ploys. I'd take most short action cases in a 3.34 length action, especially the SAUM's and WSM's. More COAL gets the most out of any fuel tank.