Has anybody ever tested this?

Bug

It's just a what-if question, but has anyone done expansion tests at long range? And no, not on a gong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seems like every time I read about (reduced) velocity expansion testing, it has been done at fairly close range, with somewhat reduced loads to simulate impact at longer ranges.
This method also has the reduced rpm that goes along with a slower load. There might be quite a bit of difference between loads started at 3400-3500fps, and loads started at 1800-2000fps. Given that they impact at near the same velocity.
It's my idea that the centrifugal force would play a large role in bullet expansion. I thinking big game bullets here, not varmint bullets, though the same rule would apply.
While bullet speed drops rather quickly, I don't think the rotational velocity changes very much. leastwise that's what I've read.
I just got to wondering... And it seems like folks on this board have "Been there - Done that" on just about everything. Maybe someone's done this???

Shawn,
Did you do this at any distance? Guessing 600-800yds? Or, was this done at close (50 yds?) range by reducing the load/velocity?
What I'm looking for is someone that has tested full-house loads at long range and also tested the same bullets at close range with reduced velocity. Impact velocities would need to be near the same. The only real variable would be the bullet rpm, given that you would be subject to the vagaries of this type comparison. We'd have to assume barrels with the same twist.
Without looking up data, let's say comparing the 200 SMK from a .308 at 50yd & 2400 fps impact velocity, and the same bullet from a Win Mag (3000 fps muzzle velocity)impacting at about 350 yds. Even better would be a bigger case starting the bullet at 3500fps, and impactimg around 600 yd.
I just do not think the expansion will be the same, with the greater expansion being with the faster spinning bullet.
Am I clear as mud, now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have shots a variety of bullets into water, clay and wet phone books out to 700 yards. Neat challenge to hit the material, then find your bullet. Big bags of water are the easiest for hitting and locating bullets.
Have some neat images of bullets recovered in 100 yard increments out to 700 yards. I measure frontal diameter, total length and bullet weight of the recoveries. Recovering bullets at distance is frustrating, about anything that can go wrong will but the recoveries are worth it.

WEll as a matter of fact we tried it just yesterday at 500yds. We succeeded in killing 10 jugs of water and recovering two out of three bullets.

As Ian mentioned, it don't get easier the further you reach out. Even though we had things lined up properly, we lost the last bullet due to a hit just high of the center. It still blew the jugs to oblivion, and was prety neat to have captured it on video.

I can say this, the Wildcat bullets are truely awesome preformers at this range, but now we have to rig up something for further out. I like the thing with the bags, I believe I will give it a whirl next trip out.

Those .277 - 195gr missles, are totally awesome coming across the cotton field on their way to the target. There is no doubt when they are fixing to arrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.