Has anyone really tinkered extensively with the .308 Norma mag or .30-.338??

goodgrouper,

I shoot a .30-.338 Win Mag on a Springfield A3O3 action. This is a rifle I inherited from my wife's grandfather who was in the 10th Mountain Division and saw action in Italy in WWII (until he got shot three times rushing a machine gun nest and got sent home). I think that's where he developed a fondness for this action and consequently had this rifle built. I'm shooting 74.6g of VVN560 over a 180g Swift A-frame at 3065 fps MV from a 24" barrel. This load/rifle does 1 MOA. I'd like to do some more work on the rifle to tweak this grouping but it's a bit sentimental and I don't want to change the rifle too much from how it was put together. I do know that it's killed more elk that I probably ever will...

Good luck.

Jon Denham,
That rifle sounds like a lot of fun. Sentimental guns always deserve a place in the old safe. Your load sounds like it would get me the velocity I'm looking for. I really like those 5 series Vihta-Vouri powders. I shoot n550 in my .22 bjb with 55 grain bullets--only problem is price!!

goodgrooper,
when has the cost of powder stopped you from
using it if it shoot's a better group ??????
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts