Anyone shooting a 24" 338 Norma mag?

codyadams

Was recently thinking about this, a sub 9 lb .338 Norma with a 24" barrel plus brake would make a fantastic handling "everything" hunting rifle, especially since I hunt in grizzly country often. Considering the efficiency of the Norma case, I still think you would be able to get the 300's into the 2700 fps range. But that is just speculation, does anyone actually have a 24" (or shorter) barreled 338 Norma (or possibly RUM/Lapua) that they wouldn't mind sharing their loads/experience with me? It would be greatly appreciated!!

I like a 20" barrel. If I recall I was doing about 2688fps with H1000 with a rock creek 1-9.4. With a 20" barrel it was a single digit ES
I had the same barrel at 24", and it was like 2700 even. I cut it back to 20" after talking with Jimmy Sloan and the testing that had taken place at FT Benning GA.

Brian

This is good to hear. I'm also thinking about a light weight Norma or lapua improved. I'll be watching
I agree. Looking at barrels, a #5 brux, fluted with 6 flutes standard depth/width to within 1" of the muzzle and 1" of the taper, the shank/cylinder cut down 1.25" (leaving 1.5" of cylinder), and trimming the muzzle .75" finishes @24", and weighs 2.815 lbs according the the Lilja barrel weight calculator, and this would have a muzzle diameter of .715, enough to thread 5/8x24 for a brake. The same treatment to a #6 brux would result in a 3.507 lb barrel, and a .765" muzzle. Also, these weights don't take into account chambering or threading of the shank and muzzle, so another ounce or two would come off. So either of these would make it possible to build a rifle under 9 lbs, and still have a good stiff barrel. Here are the numbers entered in lilja's barrel weight calculator with the specs in the labels at the bottom.
20190413_135029.png
20190413_135304.png

Had a couple of guys build ultra lights. Titanium actions, Proof Sendero Lite cf barrels, Hightech stocks and Rem 700 bdl bottom metal. If I remember correctly the rifles weighed just under 6lbs without optics. They really were a handful shooting. A lot of recoil with Berger 300 grainers and Barnes LRX 285 grainers. Setup for LR Elk and South Africa.

Brian

Had a couple of guys build ultra lights. Titanium actions, Proof Sendero Lite cf barrels, Hightech stocks and Rem 700 bdl bottom metal. If I remember correctly the rifles weighed just under 6lbs without optics. They really were a handful shooting. A lot of recoil with Berger 300 grainers and Barnes LRX 285 grainers. Setup for LR Elk and South Africa.

Brian
The muzzle brakes they use will make a huge difference obviously, you need a top performer to make them manageable. I plan on running a terminator T3 or MBM 5 port Beast brake, which are about the most efficient brakes around for their size. Just under 6 lbs bare would make finished rifle 7-7.5 lbs, and with a less than optimum brake would be a monster!!

I am currently shooting an 11.7 lb 338 nm, and with a T3 terminator brake, it is like shooting a 10-12 lb .308. I figured dropping 2.5 lbs or so, it would still be manageable.

Ya a good brake would be key. I want to hit the 7-8 lbs finished build weight. Problem is I have a 300 win I rarely hunt with that 10lbs I'm sure I could shave weight with a few changes and save $6500. But I may be next years project.

The muzzle brakes they use will make a huge difference obviously, you need a top performer to make them manageable. I plan on running a terminator T3 or MBM 5 port Beast brake, which are about the most efficient brakes around for their size. Just under 6 lbs bare would make finished rifle 7-7.5 lbs, and with a less than optimum brake would be a monster!!

I am currently shooting an 11.7 lb 338 nm, and with a T3 terminator brake, it is like shooting a 10-12 lb .308. I figured dropping 2.5 lbs or so, it would still be manageable.

Cody, what do you project for the finished weight....scoped, loaded, and slung? What do you think the recoil, in ft/lbs. would be without the brake! It sounds like a great project, "do it all" rifle! memtb

Cody my 338SS is on a long action 29oz with a 24" #5 KS ARMS barrel wildcat VARTAC ultra lite stock Detach BM 4 port break Hawkins hybrid rings. 6.87 lbs then 21 oz scope gets me in at 8.5 lbs. You should have no issues with hitting your weight.
I'm just into my load development right now but I'm hoping for 2900+ with 250 Berger. So you should be able to get 2700 with 300s in that cartridge.

Well weight adds up like this...

Rem 700 Long action, BDL bottom metal, follower, spring, box, recoil lug, and trigger - 2.43 lbs

#5 fluted barrel cut as specified above - 2.815 lbs
or
#6 fluted barrel cut as specified above - 3.507 lbs

Tally LW low 30mm rings - .156 lbs

Then it would depend on which stock and scope was used. Lets say these....

Manners EH1 - 2.0 lbs (this from a guy that weighed his eh1 after bedding with devcon)

Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 - 1.19 lbs

Terminator T3 brake - .18 lbs OR MBM Beast 5 port - .35 lbs

So this would equal out to the following -

#5 w/T3 brake - 8.771 lbs /// #5 w/Beast 5 port - 8.941 lbs
Bare rifle - 7.425 lbs /// Bare rifle - 7.595 lbs
Barreled Action - 5.425 lbs /// Barreled Action - 5.595 lbs

#6 w/T3 brake - 9.463 lbs /// #6 w/Beast 5 port - 9.633 lbs
Bare rifle - 8.117 lbs /// Bare rifle - 8.287 lbs
Barreled Action - 6.117 lbs /// Barreled Action - 6.287 lbs

Now of course small things will change, the muzzle threads, chamber, and tennon threads will be taken out, but I may use a thicker than factory recoil lug, different stock/scope set up, etc., and I am likely being too precise with these measurements when they will be different in the end anyway, but this is just some base line calculation numbers to go off of, it will be within a a few ounces.

I have a 338 Norma
Stiller TAC 338
M5 bottom metal with Accurate 3 round mag
Iota Kremlin stock
24 in proof sendero CF barrel

Still doing load development..working with 250 berger s EH and 265 grain Accubonds..will report more when I have it dialed in.

Don't know what recoil without a brake would be, but ALOT. I wouldn't touch off a round without one!!!

Cody, So with the #5 contour +4 rounds onboard, without brake....it would be pushing 9 pounds real hard! With those 300's @ 2700 or so ....recoil would be pretty respectable! :) I threw together some estimated data points and validated, the recoil would be indeed.... "respectable"! But, the performance would also be pretty respectable! Good Luck, looks like a winner! Maybe you can take out a big Nugget Canyon buck this fall! ;) memtb

Last edited:
Cody, So with the #5 contour +4 rounds onboard, without brake....it would be pushing 9 pounds real hard! With those 300's @ 2700 or so ....recoil would be pretty respectable! :) I threw together some estimated data points and validated, the recoil would be indeed.... "respectable"! But, the performance would also be pretty respectable! Good Luck, looks like a winner! Maybe you can take out a big Nugget Canyon buck this fall! ;) memtb
Ya, this rifle will NEVER be shot without a brake. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.