Anyone shooting a 24" 338 Norma mag?

Cody, By my estimates.....it's pretty close to the recoil of my hunting rifle! Not really pleasant from the bench! :D But, not bad from typical shooting positions when hunting! ;) Good Luck with the build.....should be a great rifle/cartridge/load!

We hunt in Lincoln County occasionally, if we bump into each other .....I'd love to see the finished product. memtb

20" krieger MTU contour 338 Lapua using 91g of H1000. Shooting 300 hybrids at 2455. Defiance action. I loved the short barrel, nodes are very easy to find. It does slow it down quite a bit. I've always been curious about taking a 6.5 Weatherby or 30-378 Weatherby that already shoots in the 3500-3200 respectfully and chop a barrel to 20"

QUOTE="codyadams, post: 1615761, member: 87243"]Was recently thinking about this, a sub 9 lb .338 Norma with a 24" barrel plus brake would make a fantastic handling "everything" hunting rifle, especially since I hunt in grizzly country often. Considering the efficiency of the Norma case, I still think you would be able to get the 300's into the 2700 fps range. But that is just speculation, does anyone actually have a 24" (or shorter) barreled 338 Norma (or possibly RUM/Lapua) that they wouldn't mind sharing their loads/experience with me? It would be greatly appreciated!![/QUOTE]

In my 338 RBH (RBros improved version) I run 300 grand Berger's at 2875 easily in a 24" Proof. Weighs 7lbs for the bare rifle and recoil isn't bad due to the fat bastard brake.

TMR, what power are u using? I'm getting 2780 with 300 bergers in a 26" krieger using retumbo

I'm running a 338 NM AI.
Defiance Deviant
Proof Research 28" 9.4T w/Terminator T3
Manners T5A w/ Seekins LM DBM
Jewel HVR
Using a 300 gr Elite Hunter, 88.5 gr H1000 and CCI 250's my velocity here in MS is 2738. Used it to kill a really nice bull elk this past fall in WY, it absolutely hammers and recoil is nothing with the T3. Did some drop validation when I got to WY, shot out to 990 yds had to bump velocity in my Kestrel w/AB to 2750. When I began initial testing, I really wanted to get to the 2850 + range with the 300 Elite Hunter using either Retumbo or H1000. I would have to review my testing results, but seems like I started seeing pressure around 91 grs. Will probably pull this barrel and sell, then get another just like it and chamber to 338 LM AI to get the velocity to what I hope will be close to 2900 FPS. I know I could use other powders to get above the 2738 velocity I'm currently getting, but I only trust the Hodgdon extreme powders going from one temp extreme to another.

Cody,
A few years back I chopped my .338 RUM down from 26" to 20" to run suppressed (was way too long for everyday/everything carry). It dropped 200 fps with the same load, 2800 to 2600 fps with 300gr Bergers. It now has a 24" barrel and would push them to 2750.
I did shoot the thing (>10 lbs) without a break for a while and it will sure get your attention. The 4 port self timing beast brake really tamed it down.

Well components are coming together, the only thing I'm waiting on at this moment is the Manners EH-1 stock in elite arctic camo, should be here september/october, so likely not in time for this season, but that's ok, will be a fun winter project.

All the parts minus optic, rings, and the stock weighs 5.9 lbs. That is not counting the weight that will come off when 1" of barrel shank is cut off, 2" of the muzzle is cut off, and is chambered and tenon/muzzle is threaded. I'm Thinking that will account for roughly half a pound or so, maybe a little more, and drop that weight to 5.4 lbs for all that. Add roughly 2-2.125 lbs for the stock, that puts the bare rifle right at 7.5 lbs, then choose an optic to go in the Tally light weight rings (4 oz combined). So I can go up to a 20 oz scope and keep it under 9 lbs, or go up to a 28 oz scope and be at 9.5 or less. Pretty excited for this build!!

My 338 Norma..shoots 250 bergers pretty good too...added a genII little bastard to it...made it a ton more pleasant to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 110
I am getting a barrel spun up soon for a 338 NMI. 26". Going to run 250's in this one As I already have an edge that shoots the 300's so good.

Alright, here is the weight all spun up and put together!!!
20190817_210832.jpg
20190817_210330.jpg

5.184 lbs!! Went with a titanium MBM 5 port beast brake, and the barrel is 24"+ brake. Aluminum bottom metal, Wyatts extended centerfeed box, and an x-mark pro trigger just for weight (still need to get one). Still waiting on stock (+32-34 oz with bedding roughly) so bare rifle will be right about 7.25 lbs. Add .25 lbs for tally rings = 7.5 lbs, then the optic I want, the VX-5HD 4-20x52, 23.3 oz, puts me almost exactly (but just under) 9 lbs.

So finished weight of this rifle is going to be 9 lbs, give or take roughly 3 oz depending on the actual stock weight, pillars, bedding, and so on. This is gonna be a nice handy rifle, especially compared to my 13.75 lb, 29"+ brake .260 AI ha ha!!

Can't wait to see the stock!! Manners EH-1 in Elite Arctic Camo!! This is gonna look good!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.