338 Norma Mag

Mark L

OK, search function didn't show up anything.

Building a 338 Norma Improved.

Since Lapua isn't releasing (from what I can tell) any brass, what is everyone using? Norma or Peterson? Pros/cons?

When researching Peterson, it seems they had a "first run" with .0580 at the web and then changed to .0583. Have they fixed this and if I order any do I need to verify "first run" or not?

Anyone care to share their load experience for somewhere to start. I have Retumbo and H1000.

Roger that cjuve.

My Proof barrel will be here today. Then it's time to take a little drive down to Mr. Gradous' shop. :)

Pondering which bullet to go with also. Berger, Hammer, Sierra.....

You should check the reamer design. The 338 NM should have a .007" larger shoulder than the .300 NM. But Peterson .338 brass does not. Necking up Lapua 300 NM brass is another option. I have (50) pieces of Peterson select brass you can try out. It has .583 web. It's tough brass. Consistent.

Yep, trying to research bullets now. Hopefully some of the guys that have experience with them will chime in. Hammer and cutting edge are tweaking my interest, but it's hard to get away from the Bergers....

I would run 300 grain Bergers or SMK. I tried the 250's and they wouldn't shoot in order to equal performance of 300's.

I'm getting my 338 Norma Improved in 2 days. Have fire forming loads all done. I did a heavier barrel at 24" Broughton 5.75, it's a sendero contour with a T3. I am going to start with H1000 and cci 250's with 300's. Should shoot 2750-2800 with short barrel. That's all I want.

I have a 338 NM that I am currently working up loads in. So far I have had good results using Both H1000 and RE33 with both the 300gn Bergers and 285gn Hornady ELDM bullets. I use Federal 215M primers and Norma brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.