338 Norma Mag

new shooter

Has anyboddy built a 338 Norma Mag on a 700 long action ? If so give me the phone # of the gun smith. Thanks for your time. Joe

R BROS Rifles on this site has built some.

Called him. He said it would take a lot of work. I got the filing he did not like the 338 Norma. He said i sould go with a edge or 338 ultra. but i whant a rifle i can get loaded bullets off the slef if need be. No edge

Having one built as I type this. I decided to go with a Surgeon 1581XL.

I know it doesn't answer the 700 question, but thought I would share my decision in case you decide to consider an alternative.

Called him. He said it would take a lot of work. I got the filing he did not like the 338 Norma. He said i sould go with a edge or 338 ultra. but i whant a rifle i can get loaded bullets off the slef if need be. No edge

There is no advantage to buying off the shelf ammo for long range hunting.
You will want to reload your own to get the best performance out of your rifle.
Do not let factory ammo be a determining factor.
There is plenty of info on the 338's on this site, but bottom line if I were to do one on a Rem .700 bolt it would be a 338 RUM or EDGE, PERIOD!
Go with a .750 bolt for the 338 Norma or Lapua based rounds for a safety factor.

If you r going to single shot it use the Lapua and buy shelf ammo,,if u r going to load into a magazine go Norma so u can shoot the 300 gr sierra,s without shoving them down in the case and save for a custom action..in the end u will like it better.

i just received mine a week ago,

006-1.jpg

Last edited:
I recently acquired a 338 Norma Mag Rem 700 built by Mike's Gun Sales and Service Home Page
It has a PTG bolt with AR style extractor, 26" Rock Creek barrel with brake, AICS 2.0 stock & magazine. AICS Parker Hale bipod.

I have no direct experience with the gunsmith MGSS as I bought the rifle from it's original owner.
It's well made. It's heavy, 18 lbs with the scope and bipod so recoil is relatively mild.

As to cost of ammo:
~100 grains VV-N570 $0.48
300 Grain Sierra SMK 0.55
primer Federal 215MB .04
Norma brass per case $2.00
So under $2 per shot for 3 or more shots per case.
Brass is readily available.
Black Hills 338 NM 300 SMK loaded ammo is $5.65 per shot (midwayusa).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.