338 Norma mag

LRHKiller

Got my 338 Norma mag back from the gun smith, first fully custom build went with a defiance rebel action, proof 9.4 twist, mc millian game warden edge tech fill, seekins mag , fat bastard brake , timney Calvin elite trigger, rifle weighs in at 8 lbs (without scope mounted) ,the only bullet powder combo I've tried is. h-1000 and 300 gn smk, getting half inch groups with this combo at 200 yrds, with 87.7 grns of h-1000 moving 2795 fps, who else is shooting 338 NM please share ur load data

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_083346726.jpg
    IMG_20180209_083346726.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 377
Is that a bull barrel proof? I'm thinking about ordering one of those for a rebarrel job. Looks darn sharp

How is recoil? I'm thinking about building a 338 Norma that will be about 8.5 lbs finished weight. I jave been shooting one that os 11.5 lbs and it is flat pleasant with a terminator T3, but 3 lbs may make it not quite as nice.

How is recoil? I'm thinking about building a 338 Norma that will be about 8.5 lbs finished weight. I jave been shooting one that os 11.5 lbs and it is flat pleasant with a terminator T3, but 3 lbs may make it not quite as nice.
Finished weight being 8.5 lbs is pretty light for that NM. Not sure which brake you'll go with but pretty sure none will make it a pussycat. You'll feel that 338 NM when you pull the trigger. I hear guys say that a brake turns there 338 Lapua mag into a 243. Not sure what brake there using but the rifle must weigh 25 lbs for that scenario. A 15-17 lb 338 Lapua w/300s is about equal to a 7 mag with 168s. Brakes work great but they can't take more than 35-40% of recoil away. Be prepared for a little more recoil than with an 8 lb gun.

Finished weight being 8.5 lbs is pretty light for that NM. Not sure which brake you'll go with but pretty sure none will make it a pussycat. You'll feel that 338 NM when you pull the trigger. I hear guys say that a brake turns there 338 Lapua mag into a 243. Not sure what brake there using but the rifle must weigh 25 lbs for that scenario. A 15-17 lb 338 Lapua w/300s is about equal to a 7 mag with 168s. Brakes work great but they can't take more than 35-40% of recoil away. Be prepared for a little more recoil than with an 8 lb gun.
Like I said though, the 11.5 lb 338 Norma that I just finished getting built (carbon six carbon barrel, stiller tac 338, manners EH1-A stock) recoils about in between my unbraked 13 lb .260 AI and 12 lb .308 did. Just shot 19 rounds from the prone position the other day and it did not cause me even slight discomfort, and it has way less recoil than my cousins 12 lb 7mm rem mag sending 180 vld's. That Terminator T3 brake is amazing. That's why I was hoping taking 3 lbs off would make recoil something like a standard factory (8-9 lb or so ready to hunt) 30-06 or 7mm rem mag, but wanted to talk to someone that has experience with this same/similar set up. The O.P. has a Fat Bastard brake on his 8 lb bare rifle, so finished would be probably 10 lbs with that sig scope, and the T3 brake reduces more recoil than the FB brake (according to brake comparison videos of the two side by side on the same rifle) but my rifle will also be about 1-1.5 lbs lighter, so it would likely even out. Add8ng all these things up in my head comes up with one conclusion, but I would like to see if people with hands on experience would have something different to say

Like I said though, the 11.5 lb 338 Norma that I just finished getting built (carbon six carbon barrel, stiller tac 338, manners EH1-A stock) recoils about in between my unbraked 13 lb .260 AI and 12 lb .308 did. Just shot 19 rounds from the prone position the other day and it did not cause me even slight discomfort, and it has way less recoil than my cousins 12 lb 7mm rem mag sending 180 vld's. That Terminator T3 brake is amazing. That's why I was hoping taking 3 lbs off would make recoil something like a standard factory (8-9 lb or so ready to hunt) 30-06 or 7mm rem mag, but wanted to talk to someone that has experience with this same/similar set up. The O.P. has a Fat Bastard brake on his 8 lb bare rifle, so finished would be probably 10 lbs with that sig scope, and the T3 brake reduces more recoil than the FB brake (according to brake comparison videos of the two side by side on the same rifle) but my rifle will also be about 1-1.5 lbs lighter, so it would likely even out. Add8ng all these things up in my head comes up with one conclusion, but I would like to see if people with hands on experience would have something different to say
Well my experience is different for sure. I'm using a Ross Shuler 4 port beast type brake on my 338 Lapua improved. Kicks about like a 300 WM. Of course I'm shooting 300 grain bullets about twice as heavy as the 300 WMs. Also 106 grains of powder is a dump truck load. Maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples. Only know that my experience doesn't reduce my rifle to a 260/308. Its still easy to shoot. I can run 50 rounds down range and it's not unpleasant. The brake helps alot with the way I feel recoil also.

Well my experience is different for sure. I'm using a Ross Shuler 4 port beast type brake on my 338 Lapua improved. Kicks about like a 300 WM. Of course I'm shooting 300 grain bullets about twice as heavy as the 300 WMs. Also 106 grains of powder is a dump truck load. Maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples. Only know that my experience doesn't reduce my rifle to a 260/308. Its still easy to shoot. I can run 50 rounds down range and it's not unpleasant. The brake helps alot with the way I feel recoil also.
Ya. I'm mainly just hoping it won't be painful is the biggest thing ha ha. I will be sending the 300 grain Bergers around 2700-2800, using around 90ish grains of powder, your probably closer to 3000 or maybe more with the same bullet, but the beast brakes are pretty effective as well. Before I got into long range I shot sporter weight 30-06's with 190's, light 300 wm's with 190's and a couple light 7mm mags with 175's, none with brakes no problem, so I can handle recoil, I just don't want it unbearable.

This video gives me hope though....or at least will really beat down my ego if the recoil is too much ha ha. This is with a T2 as well, not the bigger T3 I will be using.

Ya. I'm mainly just hoping it won't be painful is the biggest thing ha ha. I will be sending the 300 grain Bergers around 2700-2800, using around 90ish grains of powder, your probably closer to 3000 or maybe more with the same bullet, but the beast brakes are pretty effective as well. Before I got into long range I shot sporter weight 30-06's with 190's, light 300 wm's with 190's and a couple light 7mm mags with 175's, none with brakes no problem, so I can handle recoil, I just don't want it unbearable.

This video gives me hope though....or at least will really beat down my ego if the recoil is too much ha ha. This is with a T2 as well, not the bigger T3 I will be using.

I've seen a ton of those brake vids and I think they are tough to judge actually felt recoil. I think you'll be at or under 7mag recoil tho. That's just my opinion as I know that 338 Norma is close to the standard lapua. I was hoping for 308 recoil but I guess I'll take any break I can get short of a fill value beat down.

Maybe sp6X6 will chime in, he's been shooting a 8.7lb 338 Norma for a while now. I've shot a buddy's 9 300rum with 230bergers on a few outings and with the crappy brake he has on there recoil wasn't bad. Everyone has a different tolerance and opinion on what recoils heavy to them. Best way is to find someone with a similar set up and shoot it for yourself. Judging off your comments I think you will handle it just fine. This will be a lightweight hunting rifle and it will have some decent recoil that will be to much for most. But for hunting and cold bore hunting practice it shouldn't be a problem. I've thought about doing a similar build with a 338 EDGE imp shooting 250 Bergers around 3200fps since I already have dies, formed brass, and a spare 700 action with a 3.990" mag box. But if building a custom from scratch the Norma would be one of my first choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.