Has anyone thought of making a .338 Norma Improved?

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Jarhead,
These are the only photos I have stored on photobucket at this time. The group was shot at 750yards if I remember correctly.

As LTLR stated, I dont think that you are going to reach your mark with the Norma. As he mentioned the Weatherby or the 338 Allen, the Norma has less case capacity than the lapua 107 h2o. I had pressure signs in my norma at 2840 w/300 berger.I am going to try the Hornady 285 gr. think this might be a better fit for my lighter rifle.

Last edited:
The Norma is more efficient because it's shorter and fatter than the Lapua. Think of it like a 7mm SAUM compared to a 7mm Rem Mag. My 7SAUM will match my 7RM but use less powder and easily fit into a short action.

actually, the saum cant hold a candle to the rem mag.... just sayin, it looses about 200 to 300 fps............... do your reasearch first, trust me i have, i was thinking would the time advantage in a short action be helpful on a spooked deer, or would i want the range and slap the the rem mag has so i have a better chance of putting him down at longer ranges if i can still see him...

As LTLR stated, I dont think that you are going to reach your mark with the Norma. As he mentioned the Weatherby or the 338 Allen, the Norma has less case capacity than the lapua 107 h2o. I had pressure signs in my norma at 2840 w/300 berger.I am going to try the Hornady 285 gr. think this might be a better fit for my lighter rifle.

its not always the cartrige, it can also be the extra two inches of barrel length that can get you up to 3 grand at the muzzle

actually, the saum cant hold a candle to the rem mag.... just sayin, it looses about 200 to 300 fps............... do your reasearch first, trust me i have, i was thinking would the time advantage in a short action be helpful on a spooked deer, or would i want the range and slap the the rem mag has so i have a better chance of putting him down at longer ranges if i can still see him...

My SAUM shoots the 180 gr Berger hybrid at 3045 fps with sub .5 moa groups out past 1k yds. I had a 7 mag but did not load it for the 180s. All the Rem Mag guys I know aren't getting over 3k with the 180s. The big advantage with a short action is the weight of the rifle. Most people don't really have to worry about it, but on a public land walk-in hunt every ounce you save counts.

Don't waste your time the 338 norma is an improved design to begin. Its a 338 Lapua case shortened so the 300SMK can be seated out were it belongs and still fit a standard mag box 3.6" loaded OAL. The body taper is at a minimum also. As stated the only thing to improve is the shoulder, and during testing and development of the cartridge it was determined that the best / most consistent results came with the current configuration.
Barrel length will help but the gains are not huge, the cartridege runs great out of a 26" tube. Both of mine shot very tight groups at 2800fps. RSM is the powder of choice for top speed and accuracy. R-22 ran about 2760fps max.
If you are looking for a nice easy to load for cartridge to run a 300 grainer 2750-2800 look no further. If you want 3000FPS improve a 338 lapua, take out the body taper seat the bullet where it belongs and put a shoulder on it and have at it, it will be almost a 1/2" longer than the Norma and require a longer action / set up but will get yu the 3000fps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.