Hammer Shout Out to Weatherby

Not sure why attitudes have to come to a thread like this. I just don't get it!! I get enough crap on the news everyday and night and come here from some good reading, knowledge, and news about things I enjoy and am passionate about. I hope ALL of you have a great evening. I'm tired of the insults I see here more and more.
+1, starting to sound like FB posts.

The future is here.....I shot this on 7-8-22 in my 257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard.

24" barrel 1:10 twist
IMR 4350 69.7gr
coal 3.795
92 gr Hammer
Measured with Magneto Sporter

View attachment 378701
Holy smoking copper! My question is, does the extreme speed yield a more dramatic wound channel / terminal performance, or is the main benefit more distance?

Holy smoking copper! My question is, does the extreme speed yield a more dramatic wound channel / terminal performance, or is the main benefit more distance?
Hopefully, I'll find out when I go deer hunting. I always hope for a one-shot, one-kill kind of thing. :)

Hi Steve, congratulations on the great contact and connection with Weatherby!!! As I read this I'm really excited and happy for you and for the company, and wish yas the best of luck and success with Weatherby. With that said, while I'm reading this thread, there's that little voice in the back of my brain saying,"Boy I hope they don't get so big that Hammer forgets this side of the market." And....I don't write this with any disrespect!!! It's great to be able to go to a site and find the bullet/s that you are looking for and... they're in stock!! Again congratulations on your latest adventure with Weatherby!!!
I work with Brian and Steve daily. The individual will always be the driving force of business. We truly appreciate the support because of people like you this has been possible.

SHows how little i know, I didn't realize the rpm was already a maximized 284, I just thought it looked like it. And I didn't realize how long it was. I bet they could get away with some stuffing, Nosler's getting away with it, but why bother with a 140-160 7mm if the 6.5 is doing fine at 140 for now. I get it.

I guess I also don't see why a manufacturer's lab couldn't figure out the absolute hammers, I think it'd be a perfect environment, especially Weatherby. Tight neck with a crimp and whatever powder they're putting in the next case down. Strict proprietary control over chamber and case dimensions. I do think that lower bore friction is going to be a thing of the future, I think BC can be dethroned or at least deemphasized back to sane levels. I know I'm saying that on a long range forum, but I think we can all agree the bell curve of shots capably made on creatures even here gets very skinny after 500. It's the 350-500 range that most hunters with average resources wish they could break through when they're on a really meaningful hunt. Maybe I'm out of it, but I can picture Weatherby being the people to say hey, we got a 140 grain 7mm over here doing 3350 out of a standard action 5 pound rifle with a handy length barrel. That's holding the top line of an elk at 500 y. Or a 6.5 123 grain doing 3500 in the same. We're holding one mil on a mulie at 550y and not breaking any jaws with a backpacking rifle, wanna come play with us?

Anyway I know it's a lot of hurdles, I just hope something innovative like the absolutes is part of the next wave of excitement when it comes around.
The days of mpbr are behind us- look at the 26 nosler. Accurate dialing repeatable scopes are here, ballistic rangefinders, chronographs, bullets that handle wind drift are here, once people learn that skill and can accurately place a bullet where they want without guessing they don't go back. How do you hold wind top line of an elk with a bullet that you don't know how far it's going to drift? Grass moving hold on his ears, trees moving hold on snout?

Weatherby has always been slow to change(15 years late on composite stocks, 75 years to ditch belted cartridges with radius shoulders et el, but I don't think they want to be stubbornly so moving forward, they'd like a larger market share and move out of the bougey niche category.

They've recently loaded more high bc long range bullets(bergers, eld-x)in their line to appease their customers.

They've offered lead free bullets since the barnes x bullet and are having a hard time sourcing barnes bullets. Enter hammer bullets.

Any legal department would tell you the absolute hammer is a nonstarter loaded the way guys on here load them. So the regular hammer hunter will fill that niche in the wby lineup.

The days of mpbr are behind us- look at the 26 nosler. Accurate dialing repeatable scopes are here, ballistic rangefinders, chronographs, bullets that handle wind drift are here, once people learn that skill and can accurately place a bullet where they want without guessing they don't go back. How do you hold wind top line of an elk with a bullet that you don't know how far it's going to drift? Grass moving hold on his ears, trees moving hold on snout?

Weatherby has always been slow to change(15 years late on composite stocks, 75 years to ditch belted cartridges with radius shoulders et el, but I don't think they want to be stubbornly so moving forward, they'd like a larger market share and move out of the bougey niche category.

They've recently loaded more high bc long range bullets(bergers, eld-x)in their line to appease their customers.

They've offered lead free bullets since the barnes x bullet and are having a hard time sourcing barnes bullets. Enter hammer bullets.

Any legal department would tell you the absolute hammer is a nonstarter loaded the way guys on here load them. So the regular hammer hunter will fill that niche in the wby lineup.
There's a lot of years of success with weatherby cartridges. I doubt that's going to change. I'd be willing to bet I can go down to the store and buy a weatherby and a box of premium ammunition and a decent scope and in 20 rounds be hitting a 6" plate at 1-600 yards without a chrono. These hammer bullets are very accurate and if the box info is as good as they're other I'd bet I'd have the same results. I wouldn't take a shot in high wind at long distances

There's a lot of years of success with weatherby cartridges. I doubt that's going to change. I'd be willing to bet I can go down to the store and buy a weatherby and a box of premium ammunition and a decent scope and in 20 rounds be hitting a 6" plate at 1-600 yards without a chrono. These hammer bullets are very accurate and if the box info is as good as they're other I'd bet I'd have the same results. I wouldn't take a shot in high wind at long distances
Cool- this is still the Long Range hunting forum right? Are you really talking about using box ballistics? Better have a 26" barrel since thats where weatherby gets those #s. If you have an older rifle or vanguard your SOL.
You could also use the readily available tools to put those rounds on target much further and in variable conditions. If you hunt in the west you can bet its going to be windy so you'd better have a plan to deal with it.

Cool- this is still the Long Range hunting forum right? Are you really talking about using box ballistics? Better have a 26" barrel since thats where weatherby gets those #s. If you have an older rifle or vanguard your SOL.
You could also use the readily available tools to put those rounds on target much further and in variable conditions. If you hunt in the west you can bet its going to be windy so you'd better have a plan to deal with it.
Yes this is the long range hunting forum but I'd say the majority of hunter's would be happy with out of the box kill shots out to 600.

Yes this is the long range hunting forum but I'd say the majority of hunter's would be happy with out of the box kill shots out to 600.
You'd be wrong to think box ammo balistics get you kill shots out to 600 without wind holds or accurate mv/bc.
Also wby would be wrong to think that's what their customers want as the majority of tje industry has proven otherwise