Hammer bullets

Gday

Now this is what I'm talking about
Yep you get it I gave up with bergers due to erratic results

The need to secure quickly & preferable on the spot is ever so important with tahr & chamois to a lesser extent also west or east coast also a little bearing

Elkhuntr247
What area are you going ?
Are you going with a guide as they will sort you out no doubt if solo I made a few mistakes of looking high as most of the good billies were not up on top

shot placement is part of the equation & study their anatomy with that time of the year the mains on billies are starting to fill out a bit so placement is a touch back from the summer ones I say just aim far leg if you can see it

Potentially you will stretch your barrel & watch those winds but most shots are under 500 ( once again the area you go will dictate this a bit ) some of my longest shots
& I'll put my longest for reference in here which was 1232 meters on tahr but I will admit I missed 2 shots prior to working out the wind & I can't emphasise enough practice & practice @ weird angles along with a few offhand shots as they are also a possibility so great to be prepared just incase

Overall may is a pretty good time to go as the boys are getting starting to get a little amorous but not full on

Wishing you the best
I'll never hunt tahr country again but so many good memories & if you'd like any other info just ask & hopefully I can help
I love tahr hunting man it's cool & shot one or two 😜

Cheers
Male Tahr are Bulls, not Billies.

Last edited:
Gday nztahr

You are correct & my muppet moment no excuse just had a bit of bad news & was not thinking straight sorry

Thanks for the pickup
Cheers
Ps tried to edit & include the quote for clarity don't know how & also had sorry & straight around wrong way but fixed now

Back to the topic. I use various Hammer hunters on deer. 124 in a 20" PRC, 117 in 22" 270wsm and 60 in a 20" .223. All driven hard but not dangerously so. I shot 79 deer during 2022 and a good majority with the Hammers. Apart from being eye wateringly expensive (including freight) they have never let me down out to around the 500 yard mark. Ive only found one shank, the rest have passed through. Meat damage has been what I would expect from a bonded bullet plus the petal damage

One stag that I shot head on at about 250 yards had excessive damage because I guess of the helicopter effect of the petals as the bullet travelled almost the full length of the animal down the rib cage.
Deer that I have shot at longer ranges have all expired within a recoverable distance but the 6.5 PRC hits are a little slower and there are more wobbles - not sure why. The bullet shank still passes through with the 6.5 longer range hits.

The .223 is extraordinarily effective and I have shot deer out to 300 yards with them. They mainly drop on the spot - likely a combination of me being more precise with my shooting and being mainly around 200 yards.

I haven't shot Tahr with the Hammers but have shot many Tahr , which are not difficult to kill, but as mentioned because of the terrain the bulls do need to be nailed on the spot or they can be lost down bluffs. 140 grain weight range Hammers at over 3000 fps would be excellent. These are majestic beautiful animals and I personally would not like to see them shot at with an inadequate combination or at a range beyond the shooters' capability. Remember, Aldo Leupold is always on our shoulder.

I haven't had any long shots with Hammers yet but they do kill.No chasing animals very far.
A few years ago my brother and I went hog hunting and I would have never used a 223 for hunting but he said it's like Thor's Hammer.
I shot 3 hogs,the first died on the spot and the second died within a few feet and the third was not a great shot as he was moving on and my brother finished him with one shot.Post mortem showed why he chose that 52 gr Hammer Hunter.Insides were liquid.Not a lot of meat lost but heart and lungs were liquid.
I was sold on them back then.
I bough some 180 gr 166gr and 152 gr 30 cal bullets,180 for 300 win mag,166 for 30-06 and 152 for 308 although a 124 would work just as good and more velocity.
Super easy for load development if you clean your barrel to bare metal before you ever shoot a Hammer.
Edit to mention,They are always in stock!Berger and Nosler and others can't say that
The 52hh has killed more deer and hogs in southeast oklahoma than EHD! You should see what the 69ah,70hh,73ah,83hh all do to one when hit with one at 4000 fps! Ha HA

I see a lot of guys running Hammer bullets these days, with some great results. I've ran burgers forever, and have seen great accuracy with them. But killing wise I haven't been super impressed. They dump some animals in their tracks. Some run off and we end up trailing them.

Just looking for your guys experiences with hammer bullets. Considering trying them in my 28 nosler.
Let me start off by saying that I have never used hammer boss in my 7mm STW. I'm hearing a lot of good things about shooting paper, accuracy, and velocity, but I came across this video and I'm including it here. Just saying watch it and you decide

IMG_0042.gif

Let me start off by saying that I have never used hammer boss in my 7mm STW. I'm hearing a lot of good things about shooting paper, accuracy, and velocity, but I came across this video and I'm including it here. Just saying watch it and you decide

I think you could read through the comments section of that video and know well enough that the guy is no fan of hammers and literally disses them for all kinds of stuff. I can make a YouTube video with a bias to make anything look bad. Every bullet manufactures products that are only as good as the end user and their capabilities. Bad shots are bad shots. I've not killed anything with them yet. But I've shot enough to know, nothing is perfect, especially me. Mono bullets are not cup and core so they will act different. And if you're not adequately twisted, you won't spin em enough or be stable and therefore you won't get optimal performance. I wonder how many have loaded up mono bullets with slow twists and wonder why something went wrong 500-600 yds out on an animal?

Elkhuntn247,

I started using them in 2016. Every year I killed a blacktail buck and a doe. That's fourteen deer shot with Hammers. Three didn't drop at the shot. The last one was a heart shot doe at 300 yards. She may have traveled about fifty yards. The others were bucks. One went about twenty-five yards and the other maybe fifteen yards.

Although I have tried to follow the posted twist rate on the Hammer data for the caliber I'm shooting, I found velocity to be a factor too. If you are driving them above 3200 FPS, the twist rate doesn't seem as important if the range is below 5 or 600 yds. For me they seem to hold accuracy to that distance and in my hunting rig that is what I'm looking for. And my hunting rigs are all less and some much less than 8 1/2 pounds with scope and loaded so I don't tote a 15 lb target rifle like some of my hunting partners.

Gday A/1-61
Here's a little more to add to @FlGunner

if only you could get to the full story it may amaze you
Here's a little snippet of what my mate Jared does

Uses other people's pictures & quotes them as being his own

Even went to great lengths to make one of those videos for me which was quite amusing

Removes anyone's replies/comments from his YouTube stuff that doesn't align with his or worse when you challenge with facts

The list goes on & on for which I have more than enough proof as it's straight from the horse's mouth

hope that meets your criteria on a little extra so one can get a better understanding on what lengths this person will go to to get his name out there

If my mate 😜 only put his skills to helping the new comers/generation our world would be a better place

We should unite as a whole not splinter & the truth would be a nice place to start

Cheers

The funny thing about the internet is that its full of people who have no clue but because they have enough inteligence to record and post a video they instantly become an expert.
Over the years, I've seen an absolute ton of posts that showed positive results with Hammers. I can't recall many negative, if any.
These are real world results from people who are not trying to increase their viewer base by painting themselves as an expert.

Real world results trump internet "influencer" garbage every time.

In all my born days (LOL never felt old enough to use that one before). Have I seen more necropsy's performed, by a bullet company, or the end users than Hammer's.
Your 10 posts in, and its understandable you haven't seen much of countering info to this video.

The goal from Hammer's beginning has been terminal performance. This has been tested all over the world. More than just it "killed 'em dead", but actual bullet tracking, and examination of anatomy post shot.

Animals from smallest to largest have been taken apart, before making statements such as this fellow has made.

I would wager a great deal he has never cut up an Asiatic Buffalo, (much less many) to track bullet path and corresponding destruction, while observing time to tip over. Then sharing videos from stalk to processing.

Recent Posts