Hammer bullets in short barrels? (Including absolutes)

Bigeclipse

All,

For me hammer bullets have always given me a bit more speed than standard loads in my normal barrel length rifles. I'm wondering how they perform in short barrels? Reason I ask is I'm going to buy a sig cross 16in 308 or 18in 6.5 creed and I'm wondering if I could maybe pick up some of the lost velocity by loading hammers or maybe even absolute hammers. Thoughts?

I don't have any data yet as I am waiting on my 20" 6.5ss to get done but I plan on running the 124HH and I've heard of guys getting up to 3200 fps in a 20"

Almost all of the Hammer bullets I've shot have been in barrels 20" and shorter. You'll see a greater velocity benefit by dropping down in bullet weight when switching to the Hammers, than you would by simply comparing them to the same weight lead core bullet in a short barrel.

In my experience, Hammers can give you enough of a velocity increase to make up for about 2" of barrel loss, so around 60-75 fps in the chamberings I've played with. The advantage to most mono metal bullets is the ability to drop down in bullet weight and still see good terminal performance and an increase in velocity.

All,

For me hammer bullets have always given me a bit more speed than standard loads in my normal barrel length rifles. I'm wondering how they perform in short barrels? Reason I ask is I'm going to buy a sig cross 16in 308 or 18in 6.5 creed and I'm wondering if I could maybe pick up some of the lost velocity by loading hammers or maybe even absolute hammers. Thoughts?
Here is my data for a 16" Ruger Youth in 6.5CM: https://hammerbullets.boards.net/post/29446

20" 308 Win

124 HH 3034 FPS with CFE223
124 HH 2965 FPS with Shooters World Precision

152 HH 2815 FPS with Shooters World Precision

166 HH 2650 FPS with N550

My numbers / charges are listed in the hammer load data but with the 308 and a 16.5" barrel I got the 124 HHs up to 3100fps before hitting pressure using RL10x and Peterson brass. I was pretty happy with that.

I lied. I guess I never sent the data to GL. Here it is out of my notes. Loaded to the last groove using virgin brass and RL10x.
95792159-B5BB-4DBA-B6CA-D14E961E4491.jpeg