Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

I'm paying attention. I'm a Hammer fan boy at this point. Plus, I just picked up my first vintage model 70 in 338 win mag and I intend on loading Hammers for it. Looking at 210 Power Hammers. Hoping to get between 3100 and 3200 out of them.
I think you mean the 205g Power Hammer? I don't think you can get that fast with the 210g Hammer Hunter.

I dont mind any hijacking for the purpose of sharing real results. However, if someone is asserting that the amount of time these two bears lived after the bullet impacted them was anything other than optimal, I will pick up my sword and weald it! Again, both bears went around 30 to 35 yards, but in actual time, one was expired in under 3 seconds and the other was under 8, with the death moan as evidence of his expiration. Unless you are shooting for central nervous system system, which we weren't, that is lightning fast expiration for heart/lungs shots.
Gday bang4thebuck
I'm in no way insinuating that the 181 has not killed those bears in a timely manner as that's good results
& as I've previously stated I know nothing about bears but I'll say with the utmost respect that you can get better results again on the average from impact to tip across the board
Bears I'm still 🤷‍♂️

How do I know this without yanking my own chain
I don't really know other than I test a lot & have tested a lot of brands & even by other companies other than hammer I'm highly rated on what I do & see from a terminal point

but I'll challenge any company to produce a even better pill as I'll show the bad not the good to those companies
Probably the best way is next time you chat to Steve ask him what I do & have done

I mean no disrespect to your thread or you so please accept my apology if my comments offended
Cheers

I dont mind any hijacking for the purpose of sharing real results. However, if someone is asserting that the amount of time these two bears lived after the bullet impacted them was anything other than optimal, I will pick up my sword and weald it! Again, both bears went around 30 to 35 yards, but in actual time, one was expired in under 3 seconds and the other was under 8, with the death moan as evidence of his expiration. Unless you are shooting for central nervous system system, which we weren't, that is lightning fast expiration for heart/lungs shots.
I have to say you are right. My bear did go probably farther. It rolled that far one step after the shot down the hill I shot him off of. Maybe he was alive while rolling but was clearly dead when we gat to him.

Gday bang4thebuck
I'm in no way insinuating that the 181 has not killed those bears in a timely manner as that's good results
& as I've previously stated I know nothing about bears but I'll say with the utmost respect that you can get better results again on the average from impact to tip across the board
Bears I'm still 🤷‍♂️

How do I know this without yanking my own chain
I don't really know other than I test a lot & have tested a lot of brands & even by other companies other than hammer I'm highly rated on what I do & see from a terminal point

but I'll challenge any company to produce a even better pill as I'll show the bad not the good to those companies
Probably the best way is next time you chat to Steve ask him what I do & have done

I mean no disrespect to your thread or you so please accept my apology if my comments offended
Cheers
No disrespect taken at all. I have a deep appreciation for those that deliver fact-based information. I've strived to be the same way. Hence the reason I brought the story full circle. Truth of the matter is Steve actually recommended a lighter bullet, and was sure it would perform superbly, but my decision on bullet choice was based on some minimums that the guide wanted to see (180 grain). Looking back on it, there were two guys in camp archery hunting one with a compound, one with a cross bow. The cross bow guy missed a toad at 22 yards, and the compound guy wounded a bear, and missed another, so I am not sure how or why there would be rifle minimums when they also hunt them with stick and string. I suppose the guide sees all kind of things, and since I asked, I got an answer. Fact is, next time, I won't discuss it with the guide, unless he asks me. My choices will be made strictly based on proven data from those that know. I think those of us that are still analyzing this type of information in the middle of the summer are just different, and do not represent what the guides typically see. Our guns are sighted, our data is verified, our loads are tuned, our choices are deliberate. No disrespect to those that aren't that way, but the guide is used to guys that are shooting borrowed rifles, mis-match boxes of ammo, 6MOA capability, somewhat unprepared clients. If i were a guide under those conditions, I would tell them to bring big guns with big bullets and increase the chances of success on marginal shots.

It's amazing how much "some" guides don't know about rifles/ammo/ballistics. I had a guide tell me that my Ruger autoloading Rifle in 44 mag wasn't enough gun for shooting black bears over a bait site that was 20yds away. A long shot would have been under 50yds in the dense underbrush. I had another guide tell me he prefers 30cal cartridges for whitetails because the friction with the air burns the bullets down to about 7mm before they actually impact an animal.

It's not the least bit surprising that some people don't realize the significant differences between traditional cup & core bullets and today's modern mono-metal bullets.

It's amazing how much "some" guides don't know about rifles/ammo/ballistics. I had a guide tell me that my Ruger autoloading Rifle in 44 mag wasn't enough gun for shooting black bears over a bait site that was 20yds away. A long shot would have been under 50yds in the dense underbrush. I had another guide tell me he prefers 30cal cartridges for whitetails because the friction with the air burns the bullets down to about 7mm before they actually impact an animal.

It's not the least bit surprising that some people don't realize the significant differences between traditional cup & core bullets and today's modern mono-metal bullets.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I've said similar several times!

If we are relying on many guides for accurate information pertaining to a hunting bullet……I'd rather take my chances with a Fortune Teller and a crystal ball! 😉 memtb

Gday If your going to quote things like that I hope it was from trying to be funny 🤷‍♂️
Cheers
^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I've said similar several times!

If we are relying on many guides for accurate information pertaining to a hunting bullet……I'd rather take my chances with a Fortune Teller and a crystal ball! 😉 memtb
Guides have very variable levels of knowledge of ballistics. We should not be to hard on them, primarily because the biggest influence on their ballistic perceptions is their experience with client with very varied skill levels. Ultimately they are the one who has to mop up the results of a bad shot. My guide for the Alaskan Black Bear hunt was excellent, but discouraged clients from using copper bullets because he saw variable performance from them, specifically inconsistency in expansion. After he saw the results of how our copper bullet worked on 2 bears, both shot with just a 308Win each DRT kills, he changed his mind at least about our bullets.

Guides have very variable levels of knowledge of ballistics. We should not be to hard on them, primarily because the biggest influence on their ballistic perceptions is their experience with client with very varied skill levels. Ultimately they are the one who has to mop up the results of a bad shot. My guide for the Alaskan Black Bear hunt was excellent, but discouraged clients from using copper bullets because he saw variable performance from them, specifically inconsistency in expansion. After he saw the results of how our copper bullet worked on 2 bears, both shot with just a 308Win each DRT kills, he changed his mind at least about our bullets.

And……I suppose that guides have not observed varying results from cup and core! 🤔

I'm not suggesting that they are bad guides…..but many, probably most have "very" limited knowledge of firearms, ballistic, or bullets! "That's my story and I'm stick'n to it" 😉😁 memtb

Last edited: