Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

Gentlemen,
I read an article by a black bear guide. He offered "handgun" hunting for black bears. Often cops would arrive with their duty weapon from .38's up to .41 Magnums. He mentioned there was an obvious difference in the bears' reactions to anything with a four in its name.

Gentlemen,
I read an article by a black bear guide. He offered "handgun" hunting for black bears. Often cops would arrive with their duty weapon from .38's up to .41 Magnums. He mentioned there was an obvious difference in the bears' reactions to anything with a four in its name.
do you recall if they were bait or hounds or spot n stalk? I'd think one of the first two

POST HUNT UPDATE ON HAMMER BULLETS!

Well, for those that remember how this post started, it was initiated to get feedback on performance of and suggestions for a Hammer Brand Bullet that would work well at short range. The initial assumption was that I would be shooting a 308 win. I had to send that rifle off to have tge bolt retired, so.I switched to a 300 WSM.

Short story is that the 181 grain Hammers really did a number on both bears that we shot. The shots were short, as expected. One bear was then through both lungs, the other was a heart shot. Neither made it more than 35 yards. And, that turned out to be very important as my son and I both bears out of the same stand, within 15 minutes of one another, and having two blood trials originating from the same thick woods can be tricky.

I wanted to give a special thanks to a very generous member who sent me two different weights of bullets to try out, and we ultimately killed both bear with bullets that were given to me by this generous member. You know who you are!

My 15 year old amd I had a great time with the team at Sask Can Outfitters out of Big River Saskatchewan. Vern and Norma run a first class outfit. Felt like home. Here are some pictures of our bear.

Attachments

• 20230609_085225.jpg
    20230609_085225.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230609_091245.jpg
    20230609_091245.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
POST HUNT UPDATE ON HAMMER BULLETS!

Well, for those that remember how this post started, it was initiated to get feedback on performance of and suggestions for a Hammer Brand Bullet that would work well at short range. The initial assumption was that I would be shooting a 308 win. I had to send that rifle off to have tge bolt retired, so.I switched to a 300 WSM.

Short story is that the 181 grain Hammers really did a number on both bears that we shot. The shots were short, as expected. One bear was then through both lungs, the other was a heart shot. Neither made it more than 35 yards. And, that turned out to be very important as my son and I both bears out of the same stand, within 15 minutes of one another, and having two blood trials originating from the same thick woods can be tricky.

I wanted to give a special thanks to a very generous member who sent me two different weights of bullets to try out, and we ultimately killed both bear with bullets that were given to me by this generous member. You know who you are!

My 15 year old amd I had a great time with the team at Sask Can Outfitters out of Big River Saskatchewan. Vern and Norma run a first class outfit. Felt like home. Here are some pictures of our bear.
Nice! Regardless of the size of the bear, I'm always impressed by how big the mitts on those critters are!

Glad to hear the hammers worked as intended and that you were shown proper hospitality in my home province Saskatchewan. It's a point of pride haha

Last edited:
Gday ginger man
What do ya think, Fordy, think they'd even make it 3yds with the 137HH or 154HHT? :)
Your a devil 😈
Don't know about 3 yards on bears as no history with them but from a statistics point it will be less than the 181 with the 137 hh
The 154 hht I've not tested yet so I'll compare that to the hht's I tested yes the 154 hht would also have secured that bear quicker also hopefully we get to put them in some buff scrubbies horses donkeys pigs dingos & deer plus a few of my other critters in roughly 20 days time & the interesting one you'll like is one of the rifles is a 308
Now the hht line overall shows a greater position from a stronger pill design than anything else I've ever seen/ used ( excluding true solids ) yes way less weaknesses but I haven't stopped trying to kill this pill & one test coming up will see if it passes that ✅✅

Please bang4thebuck I'm not trying to take away from your use of pill weight design it's your great results as that's what really matters iin creating those lasting memories & bringing the next generation along as they are the future so if we can have some time with them now 👍😎
that's precious imo
Cheers

I dont mind any hijacking for the purpose of sharing real results. However, if someone is asserting that the amount of time these two bears lived after the bullet impacted them was anything other than optimal, I will pick up my sword and weald it! Again, both bears went around 30 to 35 yards, but in actual time, one was expired in under 3 seconds and the other was under 8, with the death moan as evidence of his expiration. Unless you are shooting for central nervous system system, which we weren't, that is lightning fast expiration for heart/lungs shots.

I dont mind any hijacking for the purpose of sharing real results. However, if someone is asserting that the amount of time these two bears lived after the bullet impacted them was anything other than optimal, I will pick up my sword and weald it! Again, both bears went around 30 to 35 yards, but in actual time, one was expired in under 3 seconds and the other was under 8, with the death moan as evidence of his expiration. Unless you are shooting for central nervous system system, which we weren't, that is lightning fast expiration for heart/lungs shots.
Certainly not a effort to deprecate the performance and joy of a successful hunt! Just like to make aware of some other options that might eek out a little more DRT action coming from the Hammerhead cannon. Speed kills! Drive fast, take chances! 🤪 👿