Hammer Bullets and Hyper Velocity, The Misconception

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading his posts, and texts for some time, and I can't say about English, but a definite difference exist between American, and Australian.

I think this particular post suffers a bit from trying to put so much into a smaller package.

As for terminal ballistics I've yet to meet anyone more versed, and continually testing. Literally hundreds of animals from very small, to very large, just in the short time I've communicated with him. Not many can put together a load, and move to trying it on game straight from the bench.

Lot's of pictures and video, to round it out helps.
X-2

Did you find any of the shank at all? I find it difficult to comprehend that it just vaporized when it hit flesh and left a couple tiny petals behind.

It either went thru and thru with only expanding a tiny bit (hence the small petals) or the rest of the bullet is in the elk somewhere.

Ya'll should get some hammers to Nathan Foster. He has trialed, written and photographed details on virtually every hunting projectile and published it. His website https://www.ballisticstudies.com is a treasure trove of terminal ballistic knowledge.

FWIW, That's not to discount your mystery Aussie. At your description, I was sure you were speaking of him, except he is a Kiwi, not an Aussie. Oi!

Ya'll should get some hammers to Nathan Foster. He has trialed, written and photographed details on virtually every hunting projectile and published it. His website https://www.ballisticstudies.com is a treasure trove of terminal ballistic knowledge.

FWIW, That's not to discount your mystery Aussie. At your description, I was sure you were speaking of him, except he is a Kiwi, not an Aussie. Oi!
Farleg knows Nathan, They are on the same section of the library

Unemotionally, I posted a recent finding. The intent was to have honest exchange of information about a specific bullet in a specific situation. If that's not welcome here, no problem. Not trying dissuade a novice or anyone…I don't sell bullets, I buy/use them in multiple situations/applications. I've witnessed/made hundreds of kill shots on large tough game. If I hadn't seen it, I might throw a bs flag also.
BL: How can a problem be rectified if we can't discuss the potential problem? To ignore it would be wrong. Possibly, the post may keep someone from having a similar experience that doesn't turn out as well…lost game. If I've done a novice a disservice, my apology…not the intent. Two kill shots didn't produce an acceptable end state….I was lucky to get the third. I will send the unloaded bullets back to Hammer IOT further triage the event.
Don't apologize. That's how we learn. I still consider myself a novice and have learned more from this site than anywhere else.
Keep it coming, please.

I hope I can add to this thread without a distraction. Recently I was advised to checkout some new (to me) monolithic Bullets witha very high BC. They are Badlands Bullets from Yankton SD and feature a hollow aluminum cap, that works well in expansion, no matter the velocity. The owner, a Urologist, bought a CNC machine with his "pin money" and using thenbasis of his experience in Africa with Barnes Bullets created this design. The company is so new there is basically one employee and he turns out the Bullets directly for you, not for inventory. Initially I was put off by the light weight of this projectile, 125 grains for a 6.5 (1-8 twist max) and used them in my 6.5 Sherman with the same loading I used for the 143 ELDX that shoot so accurately from this rifle. The flattened trajectory was astonishing to me. The Leupold scope has several horizontal marks on its reticle and , rather unbelievably to me, they corresponded to all distances from 200 to an honest 600 yards! This seems to violate known physics to be shooting so flat, and I don't even want to know the velocity because I know what is going to happen to that Bartleins throat. Thank God this is a hunting, not a target rifle. I have not used that weapon for hunting yet, but want to.
WW

I hope I can add to this thread without a distraction. Recently I was advised to checkout some new (to me) monolithic Bullets witha very high BC. They are Badlands Bullets from Yankton SD and feature a hollow aluminum cap, that works well in expansion, no matter the velocity. The owner, a Urologist, bought a CNC machine with his "pin money" and using thenbasis of his experience in Africa with Barnes Bullets created this design. The company is so new there is basically one employee and he turns out the Bullets directly for you, not for inventory. Initially I was put off by the light weight of this projectile, 125 grains for a 6.5 (1-8 twist max) and used them in my 6.5 Sherman with the same loading I used for the 143 ELDX that shoot so accurately from this rifle. The flattened trajectory was astonishing to me. The Leupold scope has several horizontal marks on its reticle and , rather unbelievably to me, they corresponded to all distances from 200 to an honest 600 yards! This seems to violate known physics to be shooting so flat, and I don't even want to know the velocity because I know what is going to happen to that Bartleins throat. Thank God this is a hunting, not a target rifle. I have not used that weapon for hunting yet, but want to.
WW
Been trying some of them too. Seem more finicky to load than the Hammers and lower velocity, but the BC seems good. You really need to get a speed on them and tell us how they group, etc.

Just to add a little experience on elk from shots I've taken or witnessed taken. With the 181 hunters from a 30 Nosler, five elk taken with great penetration, one poor hit in the hind that broke the femur going thru, broke the other femur going out, bullet at 80% weight retention, found in the hide. Last week, I shot a mature bull with the 196, quartering to me very slightly, bullet entered just left of center, bullet was found just behind the off shoulder, excellent penetration with very nice retained weight, the bull just dropped in his tracks. The two largest bulls have been at approximately 200 yards, good tests of the bullet design with hits on bone. They are the best bullets I've used with very little bloodshot meat damage. That secondary benefit is rarely discussed but less meat waste than any bullet I've tried. The additional benefit is supporting a small business that's growing rapidly, and delivering solid performance.

Just to add a little experience on elk from shots I've taken or witnessed taken. With the 181 hunters from a 30 Nosler, five elk taken with great penetration, one poor hit in the hind that broke the femur going thru, broke the other femur going out, bullet at 80% weight retention, found in the hide. Last week, I shot a mature bull with the 196, quartering to me very slightly, bullet entered just left of center, bullet was found just behind the off shoulder, excellent penetration with very nice retained weight, the bull just dropped in his tracks. The two largest bulls have been at approximately 200 yards, good tests of the bullet design with hits on bone. They are the best bullets I've used with very little bloodshot meat damage. That secondary benefit is rarely discussed but less meat waste than any bullet I've tried. The additional benefit is supporting a small business that's growing rapidly, and delivering solid performance.
X-2 the minimal meat damage is a given and does deserve mention

They have been around for a number of years now.There are dedicated threads on them.Im not good with Search function,but ,lots of info there.Steve was a start up,and worked a full time job.While being a father,husband,and turned bullets in his "spare"? time.

They have been around for a number of years now.There are dedicated threads on them.Im not good with Search function,but ,lots of info there.Steve was a start up,and worked a full time job.While being a father,husband,and turned bullets in his "spare"? time.
Steve and Brian both, Brian worked 2 jobs up to last year

Yes its been a long road for many a businessman.Steve helped me with my archery shooting technique 20 years ago.We where at the shop 2 nights a week with league.I had a big hunt coming up and shot my bow everyday for a year plus.Steve was one of the top archers there

Unemotionally, I posted a recent finding. The intent was to have honest exchange of information about a specific bullet in a specific situation. If that's not welcome here, no problem. Not trying dissuade a novice or anyone…I don't sell bullets, I buy/use them in multiple situations/applications. I've witnessed/made hundreds of kill shots on large tough game. If I hadn't seen it, I might throw a bs flag also.
BL: How can a problem be rectified if we can't discuss the potential problem? To ignore it would be wrong. Possibly, the post may keep someone from having a similar experience that doesn't turn out as well…lost game. If I've done a novice a disservice, my apology…not the intent. Two kill shots didn't produce an acceptable end state….I was lucky to get the third. I will send the unloaded bullets back to Hammer IOT further triage the event.
Sounds just like society these days.
Products don't get better unless they have honest feedback. 👍🏼

Didn't realize my hammer guys were bow brothers as well. Being a bow hunter doesn't necessarily mean you're a good person, but it's a giant step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.