Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

For what it's worth . I took a very mature elk this past season at between 30 & 35yds. Using a 260 Rem with a "Badlands Precision Bulldozer " 125gr copper mono. Entered the left side at a very acute angle ( angleing left to right ) taking out two ribs. Crossed over, thru the heart & completely penetrated thru the right shoulder . Recovered just under the hide on the right side. This was with a 260 Rem & a 125gr copper mono. Pick what ever brand you like, Barnes , Badlands, or Hammer . They will all work. In your 308 , any 130 to 150 gr copper mono. Your choice. Before & after picture of the bullet.

Attachments

• Elk 005.JPG
    Elk 005.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 120
For what it's worth . I took a very mature elk this past season at between 30 & 35yds. Using a 260 Rem with a "Badlands Precision Bulldozer " 125gr copper mono. Entered the left side at a very acute angle ( angleing left to right ) taking out two ribs. Crossed over, thru the heart & completely penetrated thru the right shoulder . Recovered just under the hide on the right side. This was with a 260 Rem & a 125gr copper mono. Pick what ever brand you like, Barnes , Badlands, or Hammer . They will all work. In your 308 , any 130 to 150 gr copper mono. Your choice. Before & after picture of the bullet.
Gday hespco
This is where you & I look differently on things & preformance as a base
Now I'm the first to put up my hand & say that is a great result if any one needs to hear it louder a GREAT RESULT yep

Yes I'm not doubting this @ all but with the utmost respect we learn only a couple of things from your results & a example is that @ that impact & resistance it did a wonderful job & penertration length would be known even if you didn't measure it can be estimated within a bulls roar & so on
Yep no worries if that is what people do or if the company in this case badlands takes that information & puts it out that that is how our pills work they are also of the mindset a dead elk all good

Just watch that company if they take that attitude when I know for a fact that nothing goes like that %100 of the time but I don't say we'll that's a 1 off when it goes pear shape I want to know why it has & not all the time but with a pretty high success rate I do find out why yet still a lot I don't know or why but I'm no guru just been told I'm extremely good @ what I do yes I've been told I'm the best many have seen ( nw hunter guess that's my pi—ing match 🤫🤪 ) but I step away from that & say I do no a couple better & that is honest so my little brother also one the match 😜

Yes now enter my world & how anal I am
I don't dismiss the great results like yours it's the less than ideal result I concentrate on NOT to cause conflict it's to raise the bar of what we will hopefully get tomorrow & when I can replicate it over &over it becomes a little clearer well to me
Part of this involves a metal detector , tape measuring equipment , straight rods & data sheets to name my main kit
Then I go to work disecting & putting this information together that over the many years I have built a extremely valuable data base of where a pill has strengths & weaknesses & this I have only shared with a few that I have sounded out from discussions prior to releasing snippets

I'm sorry to do this but I've been burnt bad by misreading my information instead of asking for clarification as I have trouble expressing what I put on paper with clarity but talk I'm all for it as it flows way better for me
& I'm so sorry to do this but that's me

So we enter this world of the badlands 125 gr pill vrs say the 137 hh as a classic to explain the reason why I do what I do

On the face value no difference 👍get that
Now let's get the real bad part out of the way first
The hammer yep it was absolutely destined to fail big big time
& I don't hide behind when I state something I will show it with clarity & my clarity is critter after critter & while not elk it's still applies to them imo

So Steve & I had words & I remember his well " I'll go & shoot a elk & we will see " my response go get yourself a bloodhound to track the darn thing

He never got the chance because I showed repeatedly where it would fail
Not gel in real life yep tough critters to soft critters & the picture became pretty clear i think for Steve hmm maybe this D I k might be onto something he may have thought & a few designs were cut & sent to me I think first batch was 500 pills which I paid for as I don't want anything for nothing

This pill was way better & would take a elk without any worries but first time I'd seen Steve take hold of that bull & spun up another slightly different again
Hmmm testing again hey presto we now have the 137 we have today ( I call it the 138 for my peanut brain to remember)
Yes I called him out on a public forum so I won't hide behind oh the will be ok when I know it won't done the same with apex & badlands

Now today I have seen both Steve & Brian take it to the next level to get a even greater pill to market hence the delay in releasing their prototype as that is me holding things up as I've been waiting nearly a month for my 5 different versions to arrive can't remember how many but I think 350 is the number & what critters I use them on will take no more than 2 to 3 days to use & gather the data for release & this data won't be when it goes good it's trying to find the weakness that it can then be improved on not saying it will never fail but chances are way less than if Steve took the attitude of the old 137 will kill so all good yep he's past even the new 137 now 😇
Yes if Steve had of stuck his head in the sand & not asked why & dismissed my concerns I would have walked
I've got no skin in anyone's business just love doing what I do

Now I've not only done this with hammers I've done that with apex yet everyone else who tested that design couldn't get close to what I did in less than a box yet it was there they just couldn't see the wood in the trees but once again mark took on board & he has made adjustments for the benefit of all
Now I'll stop on companies who I've helped see what they claim is incorrect but it's a couple more

I've tried the same with badlands & yet I've been met with a different approach which is cool as I'm nothing important but I do know where their pills have a bad weakness just like the old 137 hammer but I am just sitting back till the penny drop moment comes yes it will & I believe Steve will no why it will also & why I suggested they give ea other the heads up on certain things
But solely upto them
No offence intended & the badlands will serve a lot of people well but I know what I will recommend

Hope it's not to abrasive as not my intention just trying to raise the bar & it will be what it will be
Cheers

Oh good grief people we ain't talking about an Alaskan coastal brownie here…a Saskatchewan black bear! 🤣. I live in Saskatchewan. Any "all purpose" hunting cartridge with literally any typical "hunting" bullet will be absolutely fine for our bears this is ridiculous arguing about.

That said out of a .308 id aim for a mid weight with a mono. I do like exit wounds…but the only thing a really heavy mono will do out of a 308 is kill slower

Oh good grief people we ain't talking about an Alaskan coastal brownie here…a Saskatchewan black bear! 🤣. I live in Saskatchewan. Any "all purpose" hunting cartridge with literally any typical "hunting" bullet will be absolutely fine for our bears this is ridiculous arguing about.

That said out of a .308 id aim for a mid weight with a mono. I do like exit wounds…but the only thing a really heavy mono will do out of a 308 is kill slower
Don't enter reality into this mental masturbation!

Gday hespco
This is where you & I look differently on things & preformance as a base
Now I'm the first to put up my hand & say that is a great result if any one needs to hear it louder a GREAT RESULT yep

Yes I'm not doubting this @ all but with the utmost respect we learn only a couple of things from your results & a example is that @ that impact & resistance it did a wonderful job & penertration length would be known even if you didn't measure it can be estimated within a bulls roar & so on
Yep no worries if that is what people do or if the company in this case badlands takes that information & puts it out that that is how our pills work they are also of the mindset a dead elk all good

Just watch that company if they take that attitude when I know for a fact that nothing goes like that %100 of the time but I don't say we'll that's a 1 off when it goes pear shape I want to know why it has & not all the time but with a pretty high success rate I do find out why yet still a lot I don't know or why but I'm no guru just been told I'm extremely good @ what I do yes I've been told I'm the best many have seen ( nw hunter guess that's my pi—ing match 🤫🤪 ) but I step away from that & say I do no a couple better & that is honest so my little brother also one the match 😜

Yes now enter my world & how anal I am
I don't dismiss the great results like yours it's the less than ideal result I concentrate on NOT to cause conflict it's to raise the bar of what we will hopefully get tomorrow & when I can replicate it over &over it becomes a little clearer well to me
Part of this involves a metal detector , tape measuring equipment , straight rods & data sheets to name my main kit
Then I go to work disecting & putting this information together that over the many years I have built a extremely valuable data base of where a pill has strengths & weaknesses & this I have only shared with a few that I have sounded out from discussions prior to releasing snippets

I'm sorry to do this but I've been burnt bad by misreading my information instead of asking for clarification as I have trouble expressing what I put on paper with clarity but talk I'm all for it as it flows way better for me
& I'm so sorry to do this but that's me

So we enter this world of the badlands 125 gr pill vrs say the 137 hh as a classic to explain the reason why I do what I do

On the face value no difference 👍get that
Now let's get the real bad part out of the way first
The hammer yep it was absolutely destined to fail big big time
& I don't hide behind when I state something I will show it with clarity & my clarity is critter after critter & while not elk it's still applies to them imo

So Steve & I had words & I remember his well " I'll go & shoot a elk & we will see " my response go get yourself a bloodhound to track the darn thing

He never got the chance because I showed repeatedly where it would fail
Not gel in real life yep tough critters to soft critters & the picture became pretty clear i think for Steve hmm maybe this D I k might be onto something he may have thought & a few designs were cut & sent to me I think first batch was 500 pills which I paid for as I don't want anything for nothing

This pill was way better & would take a elk without any worries but first time I'd seen Steve take hold of that bull & spun up another slightly different again
Hmmm testing again hey presto we now have the 137 we have today ( I call it the 138 for my peanut brain to remember)
Yes I called him out on a public forum so I won't hide behind oh the will be ok when I know it won't done the same with apex & badlands

Now today I have seen both Steve & Brian take it to the next level to get a even greater pill to market hence the delay in releasing their prototype as that is me holding things up as I've been waiting nearly a month for my 5 different versions to arrive can't remember how many but I think 350 is the number & what critters I use them on will take no more than 2 to 3 days to use & gather the data for release & this data won't be when it goes good it's trying to find the weakness that it can then be improved on not saying it will never fail but chances are way less than if Steve took the attitude of the old 137 will kill so all good yep he's past even the new 137 now 😇
Yes if Steve had of stuck his head in the sand & not asked why & dismissed my concerns I would have walked
I've got no skin in anyone's business just love doing what I do

Now I've not only done this with hammers I've done that with apex yet everyone else who tested that design couldn't get close to what I did in less than a box yet it was there they just couldn't see the wood in the trees but once again mark took on board & he has made adjustments for the benefit of all
Now I'll stop on companies who I've helped see what they claim is incorrect but it's a couple more

I've tried the same with badlands & yet I've been met with a different approach which is cool as I'm nothing important but I do know where their pills have a bad weakness just like the old 137 hammer but I am just sitting back till the penny drop moment comes yes it will & I believe Steve will no why it will also & why I suggested they give ea other the heads up on certain things
But solely upto them
No offence intended & the badlands will serve a lot of people well but I know what I will recommend

Hope it's not to abrasive as not my intention just trying to raise the bar & it will be what it will be
Cheers
Good read. I started using the Barnes "X" 6.5 120 gr mono in 1994. For sure took my share of elk with C&C bullets before that. Have taken elk virtually every year since then with a copper mono. A few seasons , two elk , when legal. Mostly the Barnes 120gr ,6.5. I do love the 6.5. Never had a failure. I have used the Hammer 121 gr 6.5 with equal success. Same results with the Badlands. I can not tell the difference in results between these three brands of mono's, with elk. They all have worked flawlessly. When I have talked with the folks at Barnes, Badlands, & Hammer, they have all been exceptional , & have bent over backwards with help. I'm just an old guy ( 78 ) that's been hunting most all my life. I do my best to tell it as I have lived it.
I think these forums are great that we can all converse, & share experiences. A pleasure talking with you fordy. . So far apart , but yet very close. This old guy is now going to bed. I need my beauty sleep. Got a bunch of snow here today, & I've got to plow snow in the morning.

Gday
Looks like this thread got derailed so before I completely derail it I'd suggest the 137hh with the scape goat I have no experiences with bears so mine is based off a good sample of various other critters & help from the ones on your side of the ditch who explained bears for me but really listen to the ones who know their stuff on these critters yep the good ones

Leads me to this derail @nrailer one thing I've learnt is Steve's character & as much as he is hated by some for their own pitiful reasons
The truth is his willingness to help & his availability to everyone
The biggest thing I've seen is his willingness to pay it forward & a lot may not know how he's been helped by other bullet makers in how to do things better or @ minimum another way
Yes he was helped & helps others
Now your copper sir I won't get into that but if you re read Steve's comments above I'd say that he has used your copper in his search of what he uses today
So I see this post of yours

So is this a position you can have a chat with Steve & see what ea has learnt & im sure he will pay it forward & hope you would do the same in return that way we all win ( I'm not saying ea divulge inner design or secrets just broadly )

All I would suggest is step back clear your head & look @ the big picture
That I hold hope you will do but some on here are beyond help & look forward to reading their attempts to deflect

Op sorry for derail
Just trying to smooth over & get a better outcome for us & the critter
Cheers
So, enlighten us all. What copper does Steve use? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get information.

So, enlighten us all. What copper does Steve use? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get information.
I can't speak to the actual metal itself but I suspect part of the equation is that none of the hammer manufacturing process work hardens the copper. Lathe turned and drilled? No broaching or swaging or anything like that?

Though I'm not sure the same isn't true of all copper monos….hmmm….

Last edited:
Where I come from, that's called gathering business intelligence! Elicitation using the naivete approach. ;)
I find it hard to follow fordy's thoughts but he makes some comments about copper which insinuates he knows something about copper alloys. I have seen pics of Hammers that look very similar to our bullets after high speed impacts. Hornady is not shy about disclosing the copper they use, Barnes obviously, because of the swaging process, has to use a soft copper that work hardens but retains ductility sufficient to petal. That means that it has to be gilding copper or half hard C110. Hornady uses the former. Finding out what copper other manufacturers use is easy. Just send a sample to a testing lab and get a result in 2 weeks. Makes no difference to us because we are very happy with the way the copper we use behaves in our hunting bullets. Not like we are so jealous of other bullets we feel the need to copy them. If it's a trade secret for them, we respect that.

I'm well aware of the divide that exists with copper lovers and haters. Copper is metallurgically complex. It is not easy to machine, but the C110 at least, has a ductility which we like and use. I have extensive experience with lead core bullets and as hunting bullets they leave much to be desired. Accuracy, though, is very good, but bullet behavior after impact is inconsistent. Penetration is also inferior limiting the impact angles that one can take on animals. I have been impressed with the penetrating ability of all copper bullets including Barnes, but when they don't expand, they don't kill quickly even when placed properly. The hard core lead fans may not change, but many will. My advise to all copper bullet manufacturers is press on. It's a huge market with room for everyone. We should have fun doing what we do.
If you ever actually want to know what I think or if I have any advice to give, let me know. There is another turned bullet manufacture that was willing to help us when we got started. I feel some obligation to pay it forward.

its interesting reading copper turned bullet manufacturers debate the subject, im just a consumer... I can only hunt with 1 bullet brand at a time. As a consumer over the years Ive developed a bias for certain brands Ive come to trust. I want to switch my hunting rifles to copper monos for reasons. But here's the deal with copper bullets, for me anyways, in at least one caliber I own and in general I find less options in copper bullets than traditional lead cup and cores. Another thing Ive learned as a consumer especially from covid influenced supply chain demands is not to bank entirely on one brand anymore. (This is one reason why I started to learn handloading my hunting rounds).

So its in my best interest that there are several copper bullet manufacturers to choose from. Since I can only hunt with 1 brand at a time I haven't tried the others, I will leave out who I chose for now.... because the point is, I want all of you copper suppliers to succeed and stay in business and I prefer to support "cottage industry" companies anyways. At some point I will try another and develop a load to have options. I look at the different brands and they are all great.
So whatever you makers do, work together and keep at it. Because someday when the mega corporations figure it out that all copper really is better you will have more actual competition than just bantering here in a forum, but I and many others will already be very established in your brands first and I stick with what works.