Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

Hammers are intended to behave differently on impact than ours. Has to be a different alloy that is more brittle. That is also true of Cutting Edge. Not really that important to us because we need bullet material with greater ductility to maximize petal deployment at low impact velocities. Allows our bullets to use the 250,000-300,000 rpm angular energy of the bullet to enhance the wound track and penetration at low impact velocity. That coupled with the very high BC for their weight gives our bullets effectiveness at ranges that exceed those of other bullets. That rapid angular rotation is not contributing much to the wound channel if the bullet has lost its petals.
Intriguing. I did think the badlands bullets looked "softer" "gummier" in the photos. This helps explain that.

Gday
Hammers are intended to behave differently on impact than ours. Has to be a different alloy that is more brittle. That is also true of Cutting Edge. Not really that important to us because we need bullet material with greater ductility to maximize petal deployment at low impact velocities. Allows our bullets to use the 250,000-300,000 rpm angular energy of the bullet to enhance the wound track and penetration at low impact velocity. That coupled with the very high BC for their weight gives our bullets effectiveness at ranges that exceed those of other bullets. That rapid angular rotation is not contributing much to the wound channel if the bullet has lost its petals.
Nrailer yes that's Intriguing as bfd said I'll also add interesting
1st sentence gotcha 👍

2nd sentence I would think that needs to be broken down into 2 parts
1st part " has to be a different alloy " 👍
2nd part " that is more brittle "
Could you please explain your definition of brittle now this if you wouldn't mind please include slip etc
( This is not to be a pain or argumentative as I have to reply to Aaron in another thread & this may also help both of us get some interpretations , me more , so I can relay correct information)

Rapid Angular Rotation (R.A.R ) is a new one to me for which I assume I understand where you're coming from but I would rather hear from you to clarify

Also on RAR is that for the whole wound channel & what is this based against , Your gen 1 or ?

BC Once again I think I know what your saying but I don't want to assume
Now I totally get if you have a high BC pill you get a higher impact velocity vrs a low BC pill @ a predetermined range so just clarifying are you comparing your mushroom mono vrs one that sheds petals with the same impact velocity or are you comparing a high bc vrs low bc @ impact eg say 500 yards the high BC pill has 250 fps more impact velocity & comparing that

Lastly for clarification
Does wound track include length & width of wound along the whole path
Penertration you are talking total penetration through the animal to where it will stop ( if you catch it )
& lastly how are your bc validated
Cheers

Gday

Nrailer yes that's Intriguing as bfd said I'll also add interesting
1st sentence gotcha 👍

2nd sentence I would think that needs to be broken down into 2 parts
1st part " has to be a different alloy " 👍
2nd part " that is more brittle "
Could you please explain your definition of brittle now this if you wouldn't mind please include slip etc
( This is not to be a pain or argumentative as I have to reply to Aaron in another thread & this may also help both of us get some interpretations , me more , so I can relay correct information)

Rapid Angular Rotation (R.A.R ) is a new one to me for which I assume I understand where you're coming from but I would rather hear from you to clarify

Also on RAR is that for the whole wound channel & what is this based against , Your gen 1 or ?

BC Once again I think I know what your saying but I don't want to assume
Now I totally get if you have a high BC pill you get a higher impact velocity vrs a low BC pill @ a predetermined range so just clarifying are you comparing your mushroom mono vrs one that sheds petals with the same impact velocity or are you comparing a high bc vrs low bc @ impact eg say 500 yards the high BC pill has 250 fps more impact velocity & comparing that

Lastly for clarification
Does wound track include length & width of wound along the whole path
Penertration you are talking total penetration through the animal to where it will stop ( if you catch it )
& lastly how are your bc validated
Cheers
The wound track includes the entire path through the animal. We verify the BCs with a lab radar and we encourage each shooter to do that because each rifle yields its own BC. Look at PDMs in the AB bullet library. Bullets have 2 forms of energy. Forward speed and rotational energy imparted by the rifling which stabilizes the bullet. Bullets which have sharp rigid petals are spinning at several hundreds of thousands of RPM. These petals act like blades liquifying the soft tissue reducing resistance allowing the bullet to penetrate further.

Gday
Nrailer thanks for the reply
The wound track includes the entire path through the animal. We verify the BCs with a lab radar and we encourage each shooter to do that because each rifle yields its own BC. Look at PDMs in the AB bullet library. Bullets have 2 forms of energy. Forward speed and rotational energy imparted by the rifling which stabilizes the bullet. Bullets which have sharp rigid petals are spinning at several hundreds of thousands of RPM. These petals act like blades liquifying the soft tissue reducing resistance allowing the bullet to penetrate further.

I would like to hear your thoughts on my previous questions that you haven't answered for which I can retype them if I was unclear on what I asked ??

Yes that's question 1 in this post

Question 2 if possible could you or anyone please give me a link ( yep I'm dumb & don't know what to search) on this "PDM's in the AB library "

Agree forward speed & rotational energy will help stabilise the bullet on average.

Brings us to another question
" bullets which have sharp ridgid petals are spinning hundreds of thousands of rpm . These petals act like blades liquifying the soft tissue reducing resistance allowing the bullet to penetrate further "
Question 3 where & or what are you basing this information off & or against ( if you quote a thing like "PDM could you please forward a link )

Question 4 ( kinda comes in Q3 but trying to keep separate so we can delve deeper ) where does the line or rough line ( fps impact or construction against resistance )
That this " liquefying the soft tissue "occur

In Q4 , A 30 cal if you have that would be most welcome & with different constructed bullets would be even better information but I'm open to just brand types & multiple calibers

Cheers

Go on….

I switched to Barnes copper bullets when they came out because I saw a bunch of sparkles in the wound channel on a deer. I didn't need to use ignorant prejudice to switch. I am convinced those who continue to use lead core bullets use prejudice, not ignorant prejudice to continue their direction. Just last week someone showed me an x-ray of an animal killed with the old fashion bullets. It confirmed what I saw decades ago.

I switched to Barnes copper bullets when they came out because I saw a bunch of sparkles in the wound channel on a deer. I didn't need to use ignorant prejudice to switch. I am convinced those who continue to use lead core bullets use prejudice, not ignorant prejudice to continue their direction. Just last week someone showed me an x-ray of an animal killed with the old fashion bullets. It confirmed what I saw decades ago.
Holy smokes. That says it all right there!

I understand what you're saying and do indeed know that lead fragments do get in the critter. I also know that it poses very little risk to us ingested in elemental form like that and is not readily broken down. Gets eliminated all the same. Things like tetraethyl lead (of leaded gasoline) are dangerous as all hell to even get on your skin but you'd think if it was so toxic as particulate matter then long time big and small game hunters should experience a statistically significant increase in incidence of neurological damage and disease (heavy metal poisoning) than the general population. No such data indicating as much has ever emerged, and they have done studies to try to see if it would.

Holy smokes. That says it all right there!
It says some things…doesn't say it all haha. Not being contentious either but the concern about lead in game meat is overblown…as @chav0_12 noted in a different thread, birds do indeed exhibit a far greater sensitivity to lead as a toxin hence the banning of lead shot and lead ammunition in condor territory. (The bottom feeders were munching up lead pellets from the bottom of ponds and being rendered infertile)

It says some things…doesn't say it all haha. Not being contentious either but the concern about lead in game meat is overblown…as @chav0_12 noted in a different thread, birds do indeed exhibit a far greater sensitivity to lead as a toxin hence the banning of lead shot and lead ammunition in condor territory. (The bottom feeders were munching up lead pellets from the bottom of ponds and being rendered infertile)
Oh I was focusing on the prejudice part... :cool:

Recent Posts