Hammer bullet concern

Ok, I think this needs to be restated. Load data that is posted is just a SUGGESTION where to start and what powder to use. This data is NO different than any other Internet data. You need to exercise caution and READ and RECOGNIZE your load development is with YOUR rifle and proceed with safe standard reloading practices. Know how to read and recognize early signs of pressure. Non of this data has been vetted with pressure testing under laboratory conditions.

I am writing this as a REMINDER to those who need a "Heads Up" just to provide a little kick in the 🐴 to make sure load development is done safely with YOUR specific rifle and not rely upon a specific load posted. Use standard ladder load development approach and you will be fine developing loads with Hammers. You will also save on components since you will see fast if the powder will generate the velocities you want to achieve.

I know a lot of folks here think this post is obvious but there are also others it may not be so obvious when looking at posted load data.
Muddyboots,
Thank you for the reinforceing of common sense.
G

I got some 124 hammer hunters to try out in my 6.5 ss
Getting 3250 ish with a mild load, just started testing them yesterday
They shoot ok not amazing but I should be able to shrink it some then they will be used on a big high country deer in about a month
Hopefully

I got some 124 hammer hunters to try out in my 6.5 ss
Getting 3250 ish with a mild load, just started testing them yesterday
They shoot ok not amazing but I should be able to shrink it some then they will be used on a big high country deer in about a month
Hopefully
You may want to switch powders. One thing I learned from Steve early on was not to force a specific powder. When starting load development and increasing charge in 1.0 gr increments to find pressure, I usually have a 1-1.5 moa group (or less) with all the shots (with the Magnetospeed on, too). If not, I start looking to use a different powder. Load development is usually under 20 shots total from start to finish.

That's good info thanks. If I can not get the us869 to shoot in my 6.5 300 in your opinion what next 140 grain hammers.

I'm not an expert by any means. There are lots of members here that are far more experienced in LRH and reloading than I will ever be. When I decided to start reloading, I searched far and wide to pick up the desired components for the three calibers I own. And probably spent more than I should have. That said, it was this forum that I discovered Hammer bullets. So I purchased some of those. I planned on testing all types of bullets - Partitions, Sciroccos, Accubonds, CTs, TTSC, ELDX, and lastly Hammers. Based upon what other members were using, and some PM advice (thank you, Butter Bean) not to mention Steve at Hammer, I started with the Hammer Hunters. I primarily meat hunt, and that is the main reason I started with them. Using recommended twist data, I was very surprised at the accuracy from the get go. So much so, that I have not loaded any of the others as of yet. I planned to use these loads on an Antelope and Elk hunt this year, but unfortunately the draw gods were not with me. So unfortunately I will not be able to post results on their effectiveness this year. I do have a hog hunt planned in late November, so that will be a good opportunity to see how well they work. If they perform as well as they do accuracy wise, I can see no reason to look further. Prior to reloading, I always used Nosler Partitons in a factory load, and was never disappointed in their performance. But I like the idea of non lead, and for the hog hunt in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, leaves me no choice other than copper. I'm not a "fan boy" and will shoot whatever proves to be the most efficient in my rifles. But I like what I see so far.

I regards to some members that for whatever reason seem to dislike anything Hammer - the solution is easy. Skip it. I'm not a Creedmore or PRC guy - which I'm sure are very fine calibers - I'm not interested, so I just don't open those topics. Pretty simple really. No sense in getting all twisted up over it. There are plenty of other topics here to enjoy. And thanks to all of you for the information you post here. I have learned things from you that would have taken extensive time and money to 'learn the hard way." Blessings to you all.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert by any means. There are lots of members here that are far more experienced in LRH and reloading than I will ever be. When I decided to start reloading, I searched far and wide to pick up the desired components for the three calibers I own. And probably spent more than I should have. That said, it was this forum that I discovered Hammer bullets. So I purchased some of those. I planned on testing all types of bullets - Partitions, Sciroccos, Accubonds, CTs, TTSC, ELDX, and lastly Hammers. Based upon what other members were using, and some PM advice (thank you, Butter Bean) not to mention Steve at Hammer, I started with the Hammer Hunters. I primarily meat hunt, and that is the main reason I started with them. Using recommended twist data, I was very surprised at the accuracy from the get go. So much so, that I have not loaded any of the others as of yet. I planned to use these loads on an Antelope and Elk hunt this year, but unfortunately the draw gods were not with me. So unfortunately I will not be able to post results on their effectiveness this year. I do have a hog hunt planned in late November, so that will be a good opportunity to see how well they work. If they perform as well as they do accuracy wise, I can see no reason to look further. Prior to reloading, I always used Nosler Partitons in a factory load, and was never disappointed in their performance. But I like the idea of non lead, and for the hog hunt in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, leaves me no choice other than copper. I'm not a "fan boy" and will shoot whatever proves to be the most efficient in my rifles. But I like what I see so far.

I regards to some members that for whatever reason seem to dislike anything Hammer - the solution is easy. Skip it. I'm not a Creedmore or PRC guy - which I'm sure are very fine calibers - I'm not interested, so I just don't open those topics. Pretty simple really. No sense in getting all twisted up over it. There are plenty of other topics here to enjoy. And thanks to all of you for the information you post here. I have learned things from you that would have taken extensive time and money to 'learn the hard way." Blessings to you all.
Starting out reloading, finding and using Hammers has just reduced your antacid bill by at least 80 percent. Great bullet! Good luck on the hog hunt.