Another Hammer Hunter Bullet?

antleredacres

Wow, Hammer Bullets have me excited. Just acquired a Sako action with Lilja Barrel rifle chambered in 250-3000. I've been searching but I'm not finding much information concerning load data for this oldie but goodie chambering. If anyone has any recommendations for which bullet/powder would work well for deer that would be extremely help full. Thanks in advance.

Sako fan here... What action model is it? Barrel length, twist, varmint or hunter style profile? Inquiring minds want to know! 🤣

I think the 250-3000 rifles are 14" twist? We designed the 67g Shock Hammer specifically for this cartridge in the old rifles. It has proven very effective to 300 yards in the the old rifles.
not to hijack the thread, but what happens with this bullet in a modern fast twister? or do you just recommend a different weight bullet? Thanks!

I took 2 deer last year with my 250AI and the 75 HH at over 3500 fps. DRT. I did a ton of testing with various weights and these bullets never fail. Full penetration with every hammer in the calibers i use them in. <.5 accuracy

not to hijack the thread, but what happens with this bullet in a modern fast twister? or do you just recommend a different weight bullet? Thanks!
I run the 67gr sh at 4300fps in a 7 twist barrel with no issues. It's the only combo I've ever seen that will split a water filled gallon milk jug in half like it was cut down the middle with a band saw.

Last edited:
When I was selecting a starting load for my 300 wm using Hammer Hunters, I simply used load data for a Barnes TSX BT as my starting reference. I backed off 10% from the posted min, then worked up.

Barnes data was similar to what I was getting from Gordons Reloading Tool. Velocities were almost the same too, with the Hammers moving about 120 fps faster than the published speeds for the Barnes.

It worked for me. Not saying it will work for you, but Barnes does have data for your rifle.

I took 2 deer last year with my 250AI and the 75 HH at over 3500 fps. DRT. I did a ton of testing with various weights and these bullets never fail. Full penetration with every hammer in the calibers i use them in. <.5 accuracy
That sounds like a bullet I need to consider. Mine is not the AI. Do you have a powder that you believe would be good in my standard 250-3000?

That sounds like a bullet I need to consider. Mine is not the AI. Do you have a powder that you believe would be good in my standard 250-3000?
The powders that shot best in my rifle were SW Match Rifle, IMR-3031. MR gave me 3539 fps and .264", 3031 gave me 3563 fps and .196". 4.2 and 6.3 SD respectively. I tested 10 different powders