104 gr Heavy Hammer Hunter

Adipose

Can't find hardly any info on this bullet. Has anyone tried these in a 257 WBY or any 25cal for that matter. Care to share experience and load? Much appreciated.

This bullet has never been very popular. The 92g Hammer Hunter is by far the best selling 25 cal.
Thanks RockyMtnMt, I am leaning towards the 92gr myself just because of others experience and popularity. I'm just a little surprised the 104gr isn't more popular in the big quarter bores with 10 twists, even though it would have a bit less muzzle velocity it looks like it would gain around 100yrds in terminal ballistics with the higher BC unless I'm missing something?

When using estimated velocity numbers If using many peoples minimum standard for deer of 1800fps and 1000 ft/lbs of energy the 92gr maximum distance is 550yrds. Whereas the 104s would get you to 650yrds. I do realize most probably arnt looking at shooting long range with a 257wby. And maybe why most choose the 92gr for a laser beam at 300yrds and under

Thanks RockyMtnMt, I am leaning towards the 92gr myself just because of others experience and popularity. I'm just a little surprised the 104gr isn't more popular in the big quarter bores with 10 twists, even though it would have a bit less muzzle velocity it looks like it would gain around 100yrds in terminal ballistics with the higher BC unless I'm missing something?
I agree with you 100 percent. So what did you end up doing????

I agree with you 100 percent. So what did you end up doing????
I haven't quite made a decision yet, but I am leaning towards picking up a box of 104gr to test out. It just seems like it would be an awesome round in the 257wby.

The 104gr has a very similar BC to the Barnes LRX 101gr.(which is the other bullet I am contemplating) but I still cant figure out why the 104gr Hammer isn't more popular. Thought maybe others were having stability issues in a 10 twist or something, but haven't read any issues that would sway me toward the 92gr thus far.

Heavy hammers were designed to stabilize in a slower twist than your regular hammer hunters. In design they have more bearing surface in contact with the rifling, therefore more pressure for given powder charge, so more than likely slower velocities than your standard HH / AH.
I'm able to comfortably hit 4K with the 92s in my 257 bee. With my numbers that's 1007 ft lbs and 2220 fps at 800yds. I haven't tried the 104s, but I bet I'd be maxing out around 3500 fps? So using 3500fps you'll see 1011ft lbs and 2092fps at 775yds. So if 3500fps is doable, and the published bc is close, they're pretty close….but 3500fps is no where near as cool as 4K!lol

The 104g Hammer Hunter was originally listed as a 9.5" twist bullet. Since it is nearly a flat base we changed the min to 10". Lack of boat tail makes them easier to stabilize. Outside of some extra weight, I don't think the 104g will ever catch up to the 92g Hammer Hunter with it's speed advantage well beyond usable hunting distance, if at all. For some the extra weight feels better and confidence in your setup should not be overlooked. If a person is more comfortable with the heavier bullet, they should use it.

We killed a muley doe with the 92g Hammer Hunter out of a 25x47 Lap at a bit over 500y. Frontal shot and the bullet was recovered in the rear ham. Dropped to the shot. I personally like that bullet.