Gun Recommendation after shoulder surgery

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks

A specialty pistol might work for your dad.
No recoil hitting your shoulder for sure.

We have section here for those too: https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/specialty-handgun-hunting.29/

If I can help you in any shoot me a PM, and I will send you my #
email: [email protected]

Lots of good suggestions listed. Another one is to use the rifle he is used to and likes. I had significant shoulder surgery and tried the factory reduced recoil loads my granddaughter was using. It is like a light push rather than a kick. Her 7mm-08 with reduced recoil loads have taken 6-7 whitetails and mule deer.

Hodgen has some good information on how build your own reduced recoil load but I would just get a box or two of factory loads in case in another year he is back to normal.

Hello good people, sorry to hear about your dad, I've been there . If money doesn't have a large effect on the rifle. I got the Kimber Hunter in 243, the rifle weighs in at 5. 3 4 lbs plus scope. Made a big difference. Good luck

My kids started using 6.8 SPC when they were 8-9 yo. Far less recoil than even .243, and more than plenty for deer out to 200.

Slight increase in recoil over .223, but absolutely did not cause them to flinch or get trigger shy. And my kids are most definitely not magnum-absorbing bruisers!

Get him a 6.5 Grendel 99 grain Hammer Hunter bullets and a muzzle break. About as low on recoil as you can get while still having a valid hunting round for the yardage you spoke about. Howa 1500 mini action . comes with threaded barrel. Around $450.00
That would be about perfect

Get him a 6.5 Grendel 99 grain Hammer Hunter bullets and a muzzle break. About as low on recoil as you can get while still having a valid hunting round for the yardage you spoke about. Howa 1500 mini action . comes with threaded barrel. Around $450.00
And darn good guns!

I tore my shooting shoulder rotator cuff about 3 years ago and worried it might cause me grief as I could barely lift my elbow level with the shoulder for the first year.
I agonised about calibers and, though it's not completely healed settled on 308 in a ruger #1 two and a bit years ago, after I found I can shoot my 3" 12 gauge off the shoulder with little adverse effects and in 308 don't really start to feel recoil until the bullet weight is up to 165 grains. The recoil of the 308 does not begin to compare with heavy waterfowl loads through the 12G, which is a winchester model 23 SBS of about 7 pounds weight.
BTW I'm almost 78 years old. I now prefer 308 loads using 130 grn Barnes TSX bullets at approx 3150 fps mv, as I can barely feel the recoil.
One of the guys at the range says that you can reduce the perceived recoil by having one of those pink guns :rolleyes:
BTW my suggestion for 308 is made with a view to hunting use not repeated range firing.

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks
When is his surgery...shoulder replacement or just rotator repairs? Took me 5 months before I was shooting 338 lap again comfortably, 90 days before I shot my 300 bee, everyone is different. But with what others have said the 7-08 is very light and shouldn't be an issue...have Dad shoot a .223 first, then 243 or 6.5 then his 7. He will know. But not before 60 days is my recommendation! Been there, done it, have the roadmaps on Both shoulders! Best of luck to Dad!