Gun Recommendation after shoulder surgery

JasonAL

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks

Ar15 in 6.8spc would work perfectly. Those 120gr sst bullets will kill anything in Alabama out to and beyond 200y. Very mild recoil, no reason to go longer than 16" on the barrel, so a 6lb rifle is easy to do. Very mild recoil.

My Dad fell down 2 years ago and sprained his ankle, knee and dislocated his right shoulder trying to catch himself. Couldn't raise it over his head for the better part of a year. He went to a 257 Roberts with 100 grain bullets. Probably 8-10 lbs of recoil. It never bothered him. I like the 6.8 SPC listed above as well. Nice light push. Hope he heals up and gets healthy. My Dad's 78th birthday is today. We're planning a bull hunt for him and hope we can get lucky.

Why not his 7mm-08 with the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 90 or 101 grain Hammer Hunters?
With less weight leaving the barrel comes less recoil.

Cheapest and easiest, as I don't think that you'll lose much recoil unless you get a lot smaller in caliber or add a brake.

Why not his 7mm-08 with the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 90 or 101 grain Hammer Hunters?
With less weight leaving the barrel comes less recoil.

Cheapest and easiest, as I don't think that you'll lose much recoil unless you get a lot smaller in caliber or add a brake.
Yes that is an option. Currently the rifle weight is an issue for him. I have two different rifles that are about 6.5-6.8 lbs scoped I'm going to get him to try this week.
I will add I do reload and have plenty of H4895 for reduced loads.

Yes that is an option. Currently the rifle weight is an issue for him. I have two different rifles that are about 6.5-6.8 lbs scoped I'm going to get him to try this week.
I will add I do reload and have plenty of H4895 for reduced loads.
Which stock is on it?

Weight is a double edged sword. Harder to lift, but it mitigates recoil.
Shooting sticks or a shooting tripod may help.

39-41 grains of H4895 with a 120 Ballistic tip is a great deer killer. I used that in my daughter's 7mm-08 when she was 12 years old and 76 lbs. I believe we used 40.5 and got 2750ish out of her 20" Browning Micro Hunter. Shot 5 shot groups in one ragged nickel sized hole. Excellent on deer and hogs.

Which stock is on it?

Weight is a double edged sword. Harder to lift, but it mitigates recoil.
Shooting sticks or a shooting tripod may help.
It's the factory stock with a limb saver. I believe it's his off hand side so it's picking the rifle up is the issue. He mainly hunts from ladder stands and shoot house so most of the time there is a rest.

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks
Well, neither... I say try a T/C pistol in something like .30 Herrett if you're hand loader, if not .30-30 Win or even a .35 Rem or perhaps something below .30 cal he'll have the ability to support it in his weak hand helping with weight and recoil. Good luck Cheers

223 in any gun he likes if he is interested in something new or as stated a mild handload with light bullets in that 7mm-08 would probably work. 223 is more than enough gun for deer at 150yds I personally like the Barnes or Hornady all copper bullets in about the 55gr weight for deer.

My dad 73 now had shoulder surgery and talked him into taking it easy that first season with a 22-250 and he is still shooting it couple seasons later. The first 10 hunts or so he took both guns the old reliable 270 but it has been just the one after he shot his first deer

Lol

Buck