Gun Recommendation after shoulder surgery

It sounds like the recoil isn't the issue but maybe weight and weapons manipulation. Hopefully his left arm won't have too much pain and he'll have a rapid recovery. If he could just rest his left arm on a bench or rest and all other manipulation done with right hand might be the easiest on him. So maybe a really smooth bolt action or ambi charging handle on a AR. A BAR would be on the table too but that could get costly. I hope it turns out well for him.
Thanks. He has 2 bars already. 270 and 30-06. Both are heavy, almost 7lbs without an optic

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries, 2 left and one right. I had my right shoulder rebuilt after a treestand incident at age 64. Rotator cuff and both anterior and posterior labrum were torn. The bicep tendon was also torn loose and needed to be reattached. I am right handed and found shooting rifles from .22LR-300 WM and shotgun(including slugs) were not a problem after a couple of months. The recoil part was never an issue. I actually went elk hunting the 6 months after surgery and carrying my pack and 300 WM never bothered me. What bothered me most was shooting a pistol as it requires my arm extended out. Leverage on the shoulder is where the pain was. It will be more of an issue if the shoulder in question is his support arm. I think your Dad will be fine if it's the shooting shoulder having surgery, especially with a 7mm-08. Especially if hunting season is several months after surgery.
Wow. Your experience was different than mine, I had 3 bad motorcycle accidents that all damaged or broke my right shoulder. I also have broken my left twice. That is beside rotator tears each time. My cuff injuries were about the same as yours but I had broken bones as well. The first and second healed poorly and the surgeon left bone chips. This last time I have had corrective surgery on both shoulders and am healing very well. I suppose your type of injury is more typical. Even so. I doubt that I would be able to take the punishment you did. I agree about the weakness. It takes a while. Hopefully the OP will have an experience more like yours

Use the other shoulder. Would not take long to get used to doing so.
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Start practicing left handed ,if he's right handed.
Use one of the many great ideas for caliber , just use a right handed rifle, and he will get used to reaching over ,if its a bolt.
Then when his shoulder is healed , he can shoot right or left handed.

When is his surgery...shoulder replacement or just rotator repairs? Took me 5 months before I was shooting 338 lap again comfortably, 90 days before I shot my 300 bee, everyone is different. But with what others have said the 7-08 is very light and shouldn't be an issue...have Dad shoot a .223 first, then 243 or 6.5 then his 7. He will know. But not before 60 days is my recommendation! Been there, done it, have the roadmaps on Both shoulders! Best of luck to Dad!
Sorry to hear about your dad needing surgery... was nice seeing someone that had the surgery chime in... and lots of excellent recommendations! This forum has been the absolute best in terms of getting honest and reliable opinions! I have also had shoulder surgery. I worried how I would be impacted but after about 7 months of doing everything they told me I don't really notice anything other than occasional stiffness. One suggestion I havnt seen is actually getting a shoulder pad... most people get them just to use on the range to mitigate long sessions. If I could find mine I will gladly sent it (I too live in S Alabama). If memory serves the one I have is from P.A.S.T. Prayers for a speedy recovery for your dad my friend.

For right shoulder (and right handed) I have a BB 243 sitting in the safe. Been there 30 years. Hunted with it 6 times. Glad it's here. <1/2" at 100yd. Tournament winner.

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks
Which shoulder. Had reverse shoulder replacement in left shoulder and need in right. My left arm can hold a rifle up, but not for long. Right shoulder recoil sensitive, based on position. Prone is a no-go. Sitting is best. Long as my upper body can move backwards I an OK. Offhand depends on weight of rifle. If hard to hold steady, accuracy definitely suffers.

It is now going on mid Feb and surgery not done yet? If so, it is going to be really tough sledding for him this fall. The recovery timeline will be right at typical hunting start for begin of shooting for him. I have had 3 surgeries on rt shoulder, last one 4/1/21. Prior one 12/18 where the rt shoulder was completely rebuilt. All 4 rotator tendons torn, bicep tendon displaced, bone cyst, torn labrum and bone spurs. It was easy 7 months before I could shoot and it was .243. I tried 300WSM and 300WM but it was not tolerable at all. It was 9 months before I shot my 30's.

I am 71; 6'4" 255 lbs so I have plenty of mass for recoil but even then, it was July before I could shoot after the last surgery 4/1/21. I pushed it a bit since I was building a rifle during recovery (.270TH) that I couldn't wait to shoot. Turned out fine, little ouchy but very tolerable. BUT I believe my body mass had everything to do with it. I was shooting my 30's by end of August.

If your Dad is of slight build, the recoil absorption will be an issue IMO. The older you get, recoil seems to creep up on you as well. I have good friend at 76 that dropped back to .270 cause recoil was causing horrible flinch. He is of very slight build.

Lots of suggestions here but his age, body mass, surgery timeline, actual damage repaired, recovery timeline will all be major factors in not only when he will be comfortable to shoot but what cartridge with comfort. Older folks can be more frail than others and need to adjust their hunting "styles" to accommodate facts of life getting old. I can shoot my 30's but I prefer my .270 with 156HH. It just seems more fun for me to use it.

Option I would suggest is the 7-08 with 90 gr Hammers that will reduce recoil immensely, be laser, kill DRT especially at the range given.

Good suggestion of PAST recoil pad, I use it and definitely reduces felt recoil.

LINK: PAST recoil pads

Thanks for all the replies. The surgery is scheduled for next month. A lot of different ideas have been mentioned have to wait and see how he recovers to which direction to go

I had a particular nasty rotator cuff, muscle detachment repaired a month before deer season. I went out hunting with the BIG awkward sling that holds your arm bent and angled. I shot a coues buck with an AR-10, 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting was not a problem for me, dragging the buck out was. My brother and sister-in-law, drug it out for me, over a mile.

@JasonAL if your dad is as hard headed as mine, make sure he sticks with the post op PT. Those folks (most of them) know what they're doing. If he follows the therapy plan his chances of recovery and not re-injuring are greatly improved.