Gun Recommendation after shoulder surgery

Do you reload???????
If so load light with a firearm he likes!!!!
Light pills, light powder charge can make a two year old shoot a 308 all day with no pain that night.

I have been through this 3 times. I used an AR15 in .223, killed a huge 14 pt. Minnesota buck and plenty deer with it. Ignore posts about using 308 etc. They haven't felt the pain. Eventually, years, I was able to upgrade to 7-08 Tikka with a muzzle brake. I just had surgery on my right shoulder. I expect to be able to use the 7-08 by fall I hope but no shame in using an AR in .223, 55 gr soft points work just fine for heart shots. It depends on legality in your state. A light bolt action might work too.
I would avoid 6.8 and other heavy bullets for a year. .223 is plenty depending on how he heals. I have broken my right shoulder and torn rotator 3 times. for the first year or more weight and recoil can be very painful.
I am 74 but healthy and heal well. I am thinking about trying a 6.5 Creedmoore or .243 as well. Don't rush the guy. Better to heal well than to rush it and have long term pain.

Attachments

• 14 pt in woods..jpg
    14 pt in woods..jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks
If he is hunting with someone who can carry his gun or if he is hunting from a blind just get a heavy gun with a really good muzzle break. With that he could shoot almost anything. A heavy braked 7mm-08 would be fine.

Apparently most of you have never had shoulder surgery. If you haven't you are not helpful.

My dad is needing shoulder surgery this year and needs something lighter/less recoil for this fall. Anyone went through this personally what would you recommend? Bolt action, AR15?
He currently has a T3X 7mm-08. We're in south Alabama, shots under 150 yards on Whitetail. Prefer to have at least a 4x-6x max magnification scope.
Not sure how he will recover as far as being able to lift his arm, range of motion etc. Would just like to gather information beforehand.
Thanks
I have had 3 shoulder surgeries, 2 left and one right. I had my right shoulder rebuilt after a treestand incident at age 64. Rotator cuff and both anterior and posterior labrum were torn. The bicep tendon was also torn loose and needed to be reattached. I am right handed and found shooting rifles from .22LR-300 WM and shotgun(including slugs) were not a problem after a couple of months. The recoil part was never an issue. I actually went elk hunting the 6 months after surgery and carrying my pack and 300 WM never bothered me. What bothered me most was shooting a pistol as it requires my arm extended out. Leverage on the shoulder is where the pain was. It will be more of an issue if the shoulder in question is his support arm. I think your Dad will be fine if it's the shooting shoulder having surgery, especially with a 7mm-08. Especially if hunting season is several months after surgery.

Stick with the 7mm08 and add a muzzle break and limbsaver or kick eze pad...6.5 or 243 wont be much less recoil. .350 legand with a break or .223 with 60g partitions would be best option.

Apparently most of you have never had shoulder surgery. If you haven't you are not helpful.
I had a total shoulder replacement, titanium. On the operating table the surgeon said I'd never shoot again, screwed off the 300 mag barrel and chambered up 5 7mm mag barrels to elk hunt in Montana last fall. Shot around 3500 rounds in prep for the hunt, no problems with good muzzle brakes and a shoulder pad. Built my son in law a 300 win and shot 100 or so rounds, no problem. Therapist told me to put away the 500 Nitro for 6 months to allow calcium to solidify the joint. I'm 70 years old, and destroyed my shoulder from 50 years of competition in multiple disciplines. I know the pain, but if the surgeon did a good job and you are pain free, good 5 vertical ported muzzle brake and stay below 25 foot pounds of felt recoil.

Got a variety of responses so far. He is right handed and it's his left shoulder needs full replacement, hence it's more of a rifle weight problem rather than recoil.
In the running I have the following. 1&2 are currently the lightest I own.
1. Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 20" 6.5lbs scoped.
2. Remington Model 7 300BLK 16" 6.5lbs scoped
3. AR-15 pistol 6.5 Grendel 12" 7.2lbs scoped. (22.5oz scope)
4. Build him an AR pistol or rifle in 223, 300BLK, or 6.5 Grendel

Not sure he would like/want an AR, he has never shot one or handled one. Thought about the Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel but they only make the heavy barrel version and don't like the mag setup, I'd have a ton of money tied up into it to equal the Model 7 I already have.

Got a variety of responses so far. He is right handed and it's his left shoulder needs full replacement, hence it's more of a rifle weight problem rather than recoil.
In the running I have the following. 1&2 are currently the lightest I own.
1. Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 20" 6.5lbs scoped.
2. Remington Model 7 300BLK 16" 6.5lbs scoped
3. AR-15 pistol 6.5 Grendel 12" 7.2lbs scoped. (22.5oz scope)
4. Build him an AR pistol or rifle in 223, 300BLK, or 6.5 Grendel

Not sure he would like/want an AR, he has never shot one or handled one. Thought about the Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel but they only make the heavy barrel version and don't like the mag setup, I'd have a ton of money tied up into it to equal the Model 7 I already have.
You might have answered this already but will he be shooting from a blind?

Yes most of the time. Although some of our stands are up to a half a mile walk to where we park.
It sounds like the recoil isn't the issue but maybe weight and weapons manipulation. Hopefully his left arm won't have too much pain and he'll have a rapid recovery. If he could just rest his left arm on a bench or rest and all other manipulation done with right hand might be the easiest on him. So maybe a really smooth bolt action or ambi charging handle on a AR. A BAR would be on the table too but that could get costly. I hope it turns out well for him.