Recommendations Please 1000yrd gun

sealdoggy
Is the gun going to be used for competition or just hunting? What are you going to be hunting?
Crow Mag

Sealdoggy

what is your experience doing BR quality reloading and do you have the equipment? Neck turning and wildcats require more equipment and at an least experienced person to work with you setting it up.

For straight 1k BR, you could not go wrong with a straight 6.5-284. Good brass, bullets and easy to reload. Depending on whether tight neck or not, as to whether you have to neck turn. Go with JLK 140 or Clinch River 147 gr bullet and H4831SC or MRP to start.

For LR hunting and BR, recommend a 30 cal. Probably easiest would be 300 Weatherby. Same thing as far as neckturning, good brass, and easy to reload. Try Clinch River 216 or JLK 210s and MRP2, Retumbo, H1000. Now you have various improved versions of the 300 weatherby that push a 240 gr from 2850-3000 fps and that will stop anything you want to shoot. A good 300 WSM will push a 210 JLK to 2900-3000 FPS with 30" barrel and max loads.

Best buy for the money is good used BR light gun 17 lbs and under. You can find one that originally cost $2500 or more used for $1000-1400 normally on net or at matches. Many times comes with dies and already has loads worked up. Worst case can shoot for one year while learning and rebarrel for $450 in any caliber.

[ 06-24-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

I'm new to this topic as well, but I'll tell you what I've decided on for a long range rig. After crunching a lot of numbers on ballistics programs, it can arguably be said that the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag is the flattest shooting cartridge for hunting purposes. It's close contender the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner is slightly behind, but we're splitting hairs comparing them. My reasoning for going with the 7mm RUM is because it supposedly is more accurate because it headspaces on the shoulder instead of the belt like the 7mm STW does. I'm looking at getting a Remington Sendero 700 in this and tinkering with it. A custom job would probably be the best but financially this is probably the next best thing for me. The best advice I can give you with this, as any firearm purchase, is to research extensively your choices. Talk with other shooters, gunsmiths, dealers, and of course these forums. Once you sift through all the data, the choice will be clearer. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.