Gun Recommendation after shoulder surgery

@JasonAL if your dad is as hard headed as mine, make sure he sticks with the post op PT. Those folks (most of them) know what they're doing. If he follows the therapy plan his chances of recovery and not re-injuring are greatly improved.
FINALLY, someone mentioned Postop PT! It is critical and will determine the speed of recovery and ultimate outcome. Two years ago (when I was only 75, shoot left handed) I had left rotator cuff repair and biceps tendon reattached. I used a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine for 6hrs/day x 2 weeks to get rapid return of range of motion. Then I started outpatient PT once a week for an additional 3 months and did strengthening exercises at the gym. I was able to comfortably hold my 11 lb 300 WM and shoot it at the range six months after surgery.
Everybody is different going into surgery and in their recovery, but DO THE PT, starting 2 days after surgery with CPM, if prescribed. Shoulders are notorious for freezing up rapidly after injury and surgery.

My older hunting buddy had a similar issue at 65. Switched from his '06 to his 243 for a season. I would also look at a wearable shooting recoil pad. My buddy liked it so much he wears it for all range trips now. If the injury or surgery happens close to or during hunting season things just might have to wait.at the beginning when you can't even lift the weight of your arm hunting and shooting has to take a backseat but you can work recovery and PT like a mad man.

Lost a lot of use and recoil ability of my right shoulder a few years ago, its as good as its ever gonna get now after a year of PT. I can put a couple of heavy recoil rounds on the right shoulder but there aint no way I could freehand any rifle left handed! I'm ambidextrous but for those saying use the other shoulder have never had to do it, it aint that easy!
I gave the Stryker pistol a try but dont like the need for a rest to make it work...for me.
My solution has come in the forum of lite rifles and calibars. The CZ527 and Tikka lites shooting 6.5 Grendel and 6.5Sweede are favorites. Putting a brake/suppressor on the 30-06 Tikka altralite solved the recoil issue but didnt help the handeling one bit! Never been an AR fan but the 6.5 Grendel is changing that as it turns the AR into a viable hunting unit as long as you keep it lite and simple.
So how does this help you? Call the therapist as many bad names as he has to but do it. Let it heal and figure out then what will work, hopefully a lite gun works for him.

FINALLY, someone mentioned Postop PT! It is critical and will determine the speed of recovery and ultimate outcome.
Ha! Yes, I've witnessed more than one relative / friend who thought they were smarter than the PT & DR's.....only to go back for round 2 which was worse than round 1!! I can only hope if / when I go through this I remember not to be a big dummy ;)

FINALLY, someone mentioned Postop PT! It is critical and will determine the speed of recovery and ultimate outcome. Two years ago (when I was only 75, shoot left handed) I had left rotator cuff repair and biceps tendon reattached. I used a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine for 6hrs/day x 2 weeks to get rapid return of range of motion. Then I started outpatient PT once a week for an additional 3 months and did strengthening exercises at the gym. I was able to comfortably hold my 11 lb 300 WM and shoot it at the range six months after surgery.
Everybody is different going into surgery and in their recovery, but DO THE PT, starting 2 days after surgery with CPM, if prescribed. Shoulders are notorious for freezing up rapidly after injury and surgery.
Great. My doctor said to not start therapy until 6 weeks out or risk retearing repairs