Gun cleaning question - what's your last step with the bore?

jjohns29

I've been using butch's on my customs for a while now and always thought I needed to run some type or rust inhibiting oil as a finisher after getting all my copper and residue out. I was at my gunsmith's shop the other day and asked what he recommended and said he just used butches, cleaned it out good, and ran a few dry patches to finish up. Said that Butch's had some type of lubricant already in it.

What do you guys think about this? My first thought was that not actually stopping the chemical reaction of butches with some type of oil, might harm my barrel in the long run. What is everybody's process after getting the copper and fouling out?

Once I'm done cleaning, I push several dry patches down the bore with a jag. Then I spray G96 synthetic Gun oil or now, Royal Purple gun oil on a patch and up the barrel from the muzzle end and soak it. I NEVER store a rifle without some gun oil down the tube.

I've always pushed a patch with a light coating of Kroil after getting the copper out. Seemed to prevent rust and maybe it was in my head, but I thought it caused a little less fouling or at least the fouling was easier to clean out after a day at the range.

Simmilar to Derek M.
After Im done with the solvent,and dry paches, I use EEZOX, wich is a synthettic Lube, but I run a pach thru, then dry pach it a few times. I dont leave them "wet". So far no rust, checked at the range with a dry pach a couple times before shooting just to see. So far so good.

I'll add an addendum to my previous post. It really depends on where I am when I clean my firearms prior to them going back into the safe. If I'm at home and clean them, they get Kroil sometimes also. If I do it at the range, they are more than likely getting Royal Purple or G96. I usually don't take the Kroil out of the house.

Prior to shooting any rifle, I send about 3 dry patches down the bore as I never like to shoot a wet bore. Don't want to chance bulging the barrel. I shoot them dry.

My last step is to run a patch through with Kroil, then one dry patch. This leaves a very light film of Kroil in the bore. This was the method suggested to me Kirby (Fiftydriver) although I don't remember that he was specific about Kroil, I think he just said a lightweight (non-teflon) oil.

oops.... I forgot my socks, does this still count??:)

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I feel much better about the way I've been following up with Kroil seeing that others recommend the same.

Related to that, I read somewhere on another forum where a few people recommend pushing a light kroiled patch before going to the range. Someone swore by it actually. Besides easier cleanup, what would be the advantage? I think I'd be afraid of bulging the barrel.

Last edited:
I usually run an oil patch (either Hoppes Benchrest 9 oil, or Wally's), and then one dry patch; after cleaning with copper solvent and prior to storing or shooting the rifle.

I always use a patch of gun oil as the last set. It's just a matter of how much. If the gun is going away for a long storage, I'll put a few wet patches through. If I plan on shooting next week, I'll send one wet and maybe two dry.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts