Bore Cleaning ?

longgunshooter

i know its a run patches until they come out clean but bear with me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

what do some of you use, CR-10,sweets 762? what else?

how good are the foaming cleaners?

im thinking of letting one of my rigs sit overnight with cleaning solution in it...any suggestions?

what do i plug the barrel with?

Thanks

I'm not a big fan of Sweets or CR-10, however, I've used both on occasion. If you use any aggressive ammonia based cleaner I would not exceed the maximum soak time indicated on the bottle.

For overnight cleaning I prefer "Wipe Out" which appears to be both barrel friendly and effective. For heavy copper deposits I would suggest using Wipe Out Accelerator before appling the bore foam. No bronze brushes are necessary, which is preffered by many shooters.

For routine bore leaning I use Butch's Bore Shine and have no complaints. Periodically, I will do a more thorough cleaning with JB compound or Barnes CR-10. If I just feel like letting the guns clean themselves, I'll blast them with Wipe Out.

I just finished cleaning my xr-100 with wipeout and I highly recommend it. Won't stink your wife out of the room either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I must say I was skeptical of the bore foams, but I had two rifles that I had been shooting regularly, .22-250 and a 300 RSAUM. The .22-250 had about 40 or so rounds down the barrel, and the 300 had close to 30. I cleaned both the way I normally would, at that time, and then put Wipeout down each barrel and let it sit overnight, about 30 hr total. The .22-250 barrel had deep navy blue liquid come out the muzzle when I patched it out. The 300 had just the slightest baby blue on the patch.

With that, I modified my cleaning routine. I used to rely on CR-10 to get all the copper out, but obviously with three cycles of following their printed directions and getting clean patches, there was still LOTS of copper in the barrel. I also used to use JB, but I switched over to IOSSO bore paste. It is more like a bore cream, but it is nonabrasive unlike the JB. It does a very good job every couple hundred rounds to remove some of the crust that may have built up so GMTEC can get under it and with some Kroils get it out. Then I'll Wipeout foam it again over night, and get a little more fouling out.

The accelerator is a great investment too if you don't have the luxury of time to wait. In one hour with the accelerator in the bore first, Wipeout will get most of the fouling out. I have found that it does not change the impact point of any of the rifles I have used it in. I look at the accelerator as more of a good thing. Its a great product that I would highly reccomend.

I used the Outer's foam in a pinch a time or two, but after that was patched out clean, Wipeout allowed to sit over night behind it came out blue.

I was finally able to get som Montana 50-BMG to compare against the Wipeout in my barrels. It may have been a curse because since I got it I have not been able to pull a trigger once. ARGH! I am just trying to find the most streamlined methods to clean my rifles for the situations I face and different time-lines. An example would be, you are deerhunting and your sweet thang 'accidently' knocks over your rifle and plugs the bore with dirt. What would you do to clean it out and not worry about changes in impact out to say 500 yards? I know what has worked for me in that situation, and I was lucky that my wisdom to have not cleaned out the back of my Tahoe and gun cleaning supplies from my last range session allowed me to whisk out the dirt, clean it up and keep on hunting with no fear of the hunt being screwed up.

Longshooter,
I just recently did a little house cleaning on my cleaning stuff. Ive got a can of wipeout with just a little juice left in it if you want it. Ill send some accelerator too. I think wipeout is great stuff. Ill let is set in the bore overnight, and the nastiest blus sludge youve ever seen comes rolling out of the muzzle when you run that first dry patch. Ive used cr-10 as well, and it works, but is more labor intensive than the wipeout. Definately not the stuff to leave in the bore overnight, and you can't plug it because it has to have air to work. Ive just started using montane extreme50bmg, and its great too. faster than anyhting ive found for sure. My typical cleaning process goes....
soak the bore with GM TEC, run a brush a few times, let it set for 5 min, repeat, set for 5, repeat... all with no patches. patch out, then do one more brush cycle, by this time, the patches will have a lotta blue on them, and all the powder/carbon fouling is gone. If im in a hurry, ill run a nylon brush saturated with 50bmg, and let it set for 10min or so, then pathc it out. usually takes 3 rounds of the 50bmg and its clean. if im gonna let is set overnight, ill accelerator it, then foam it, and path it out in the morning. I used to run a patch of CR-10 after the wipeout to verify all copper was gone, but not anymore.
al of the above is in referance to my worst fouling barrel... a factory 300WM savage.
My suggestion: get you a can of GM top engine cleaner for carbon and powder. then some 50bmg, and a can of wipeout for copper and pic whatever copper solvent youve got time for. Email me and ill get you a sample or two.

wow, sure if your willing to send some samples id love to take you up on it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THANKS!!!

abinok, have you ever tried Forrest bore cleaning foam?
If so, how does it compare to wipe out?
Forrest bore foam has been around sice 1994 and the makers of Sako seem to approve of it. Seems to have the same application method as wipe out.
I have some, but cant get any wipe out locally.

im not familiar with the forrest foam you speak of... the only other stuff ive used was outers. The funny tyhing was... it seemed to work fine the first appkication, but after that, it was really really weak. Not sure whats up with that. I was so annoyed with it I haven't tried another can to see if its a fluke. The wipeout is so good as a "set and let her soak a while" cleaner that I can't imagine anything better. The GM Tec is brutal on carbon/powder fouling with only a few brush strokes, and when im in a hurry, the 50bmg is super fast. Faster than CR-10, faster than copermelt, faster than hoppes benchrest (come on guys... that was a joke... oh... nevermind) faster than anything ive ever used. Its not ever (so far) a one application product if ive got 20-30 rounds down the pipe, but its rarely more than a 3 application product... and thats on the bad foulers. my 243 is one application... clean.

It really is awful the blue sludge that the wipeout makes from copper fouling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Get some when you run out of your current stuff (provided of coures that youre happy with your current stuff) and you won't be disappointed.
Ill go a step further...

If you believe in the stuff youre using... give some away... there are guys reading this right now that think hoppes #9 is the answer to their bore cleaning needs, and thats sad. I wish I could have all the time back that I spent running brushes and patches those first couple of years before I first tried CR-10... and I haven't even oppened the bottle of stuff in about a year!

Really? The carrier musta packed it on the back of a snail riding a glacier or something! Let me know what you think!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.