gun cleaning

20, this is a long running contest as to what bore solvent is best, most will do the job. Two things I always use is a quality bore guide "Lucas" and my bore scope to verify I've cleaned the entire bore to my liking. Of course factory barrels foul sooner, customs may go 3-4 times longer. Good luck

How many here clean at the range?

Also how often do you clean? After every shooting session? Every so many rounds? Other?

When I go to the range, I normally take 3 or 4 rifles to test or just shoot so sometimes when I am through shooting one, I clean it while waiting on other rifles to cool down. also this saves having to clean three or 4 rifles in a row at home (I don't like leaving rifles un-clean over one or two days.

On the issue of how well to clean, I prefer to clean to no fouling each time to minimize excessive brushing. When a barrel is cleaned often it takes very little effort and little or no brushing for it to come clean. I have spent 3 to 4 hours to clean some barrels and feel that cant be good for it.

A quality barrel that is kept clean requires very little maintenance.

How much to clean is different if you talk to different people, just like the solvent they use so you must find your comfort zone in this area.
I have used almost all of the solvents mentioned, and have tailored my cleaning and solvents to my needs and the barrels needs.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.