Cleaning ammunition

MarioT

Hey guys. Its been a bit sinced I posted here but everytime I have I recieved the help I needed.

A while back I purchased some Winchester Super-X and they have been through a winter. They are stored in a safe. I just opened the boxes today to look at how they were doing. The cases (and I think a bit on the bullets?) have a blackish looking substance on them. It looks like it is from the oils on my fingers back when i touched them last. Well I was wondering, will it be bad to use ammuntion like this? How should I go about cleaning them? I have some BRASSO here at the house.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Just to be sure MarioT can you get a photo up of what you have?? I don't think it would be a problem but can't be sure until I see what it is your describing.

HP

Sure. I will try to get a picture up later on today or early tomorrow. Thanks for the responce. I was getting worried that no one cared...

Here are the pictures:

bullet-1.jpg

bullet-2.jpg

bullet-3.jpg

bullet-4.jpg

These are the worst of the lot (Winchester Super-X 150 gr. Power Point). The other Super-X's, 180 gr. Power Point and 165 gr. Pointed Soft Point have a little bit of the stuff on them. Not nearly as much though.

Last edited:
I wipe/polish my brass with 000 steel wool if it gets ugly, wipe it clean afterwards with a clean dry cloth (to get all the steel off the brass).

Yeah. I was going to use some steel wool, not sure what kind I have though. I just have the brasso laying around, so i thought about it. I'll try to pick up some of the steel wool soon.

Thanks for the help.

Mario

They look fine just stained so Dave is right get the steel wool on them. I have used brasso on cases before I got me a case tumbler:D Was that a good buy or what:D.

For the avoidance of doubt

DO NOT TUMBLE LIVE AMMO TO CLEAN IT UP, ONLY TUMBLE EMPTY CASES (WITHOUT A PRIMER)

Brasso

Hi all just an important warning don't use brasso on cases as any trace left behind can eat through the case removing the Nickle from the brass alloy. This can cause britthe cases that explode when fired and cause pin holes and seperatioms.

As mentiomed the safest way is to use steel wool I use OOOO as it is the finest.

Personaly I would not worry about them I would make sure they have dried completely then wipe off any fingerprints with metho and just shoot them next time out.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Well I used some 0000 steel wool and scrubbed the cases. They are cleaner then they were before :). I probably wont be using any brasso.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.