Cleaning ?????

wildcat

Hey guys, I have a question regarding cleaning. I went shooting last Friday and I only put 15 rounds through my 220 Swift. When I went to clean her, it was super hard to get the bore brush through the barrel. My rod was bending heavily at the beginning of the barrel, once it was through the first part of the barrel, it went through smoothly. The other times I have cleaned her, it was never this hard to get the brushes through the barrel and yes I am using the correct size brushes. Has anybody else had this problem or is this common with 22 caliber rifles. Please, any information would be great.

[ QUOTE ]
I went shooting last Friday.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildcat,

Did you wait a longer time before cleaning than you usually do?

Other than that, I am at a loss.

Someone wouldn't have pulled a cruel joke and replaced your normal cleaning rod with a 17 cal one would they /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Yes, I did wait about 1 day before I cleaned. I also used the right rod. I think my brushes might be a little larger than advertised.

That would seem to make the most sense. After you mentioned it I can also recall finding variability in brushes. One in particular was a 30 cal brush I picked up, that was of a very small diameter. It is a 7mm brush now.

Jim

Sounds like carbon build up in the throat and first part of barrel.Try soaking it with a wet patch of GM top engine cleaner then brush and patch. It might be a long time buildup or a rough throat holding the fowling.
OldBear

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.