G7 BR2 or Swarovski EL Range

live2huntmt

I am debating on purchasing either a pair of Swarovski EL Range 10x42's, or a G7 BR2 Rangefinder and a pair of Vortex Razor HD 10x42's.

Pro's and Con's of both?

This will be to accompany my 338 AX.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

G7 is so much more than just a range finder. I do not believe anything else on the market even comes close in its price range.

The G7 is great out to about 800. It does not do spin drift or coriolis. How about the Swaro's and a Kestrel 4500AB for the ultimate set up.

Just completed a Wyoming hunt for antelope and a mule deer/whitetail hunt in Alberta giving the new G7 a thorough workout. Having used both the original G7 and a Terrapin/Kestral/Shooter combo for the last 5 seasons I will have to say that the new G7 gave effortless ranges and accurate ballistic outputs in difficult cover well beyond my expectations. The highlight of my season was taking an antelope buck and two does in heavy sage from a single shooting position on a bluff within 15 minutes. The buck was taken at 658 yards, the second doe at 788 yards, and the third doe at 1181 yards. My buddy served as my spotter and manned the G7 after a 10 minute explanation on the use of the G7's "Trutargeting" ranging capabilities. Getting "accurate" ranges with my buddies Swaro's in the heavy sage on the longer shots proved to be very difficult throughout our hunt. They are nice for their intended purpose of binocular capability and typical ranging, but putting them against a ballistic rangefinder is comparing apples and oranges. I can't say enough about the performance of the new G7!!!! Went on from Wyoming to take mule deer and whitetail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 98
1400 REALLY !!! It may range that far but to believe it gives you an accurate firing solution at that range is just wrong. I know a lot of you use and love the G7. However, you have told me that you start doing additional math at extended ranges. Even the TV boys start adding to their solution when shooting at 1000+. Yes I am old and slow,but when I pull the trigger I want the best firing solution I can put together. The 4500 AB adds spin drift, coriolis, aerodynamic jump, and gives you a wind solution. If that hasn"t convinced you, I will give you one more hint. Which unit does the military use?

I have shot antelope and coyotes with the G7 out to 1200 yards, along with countless first shot hits on rocks beyond that. While the G7 doesn't correct for spin drift or coreolis, they are straightforward mental adjustments that can be made very quickly given the effects have been understood beforehand using a ballistic program. For example, using my 6.5x284, spindrift between 1000 and 1200 is .5MOA left windage correction added to my wind dope. When shots get beyond 1050 yards I correct for coreolis. My latitude is generally constant where I hunt, I correct 1-2 clicks(considering the range) in the appropriate direction up or down for an easterly or westerly shot. Yes, really, it works.....and it is much much faster than entering values into a calculator.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts