Frustrating morning Remington 700 went... click!

Are these reloads? If so, you are most likely sizing the shoulders back too far, creating excess headspace. That means the cartridge goes a tad too far into the chamber for a good primer strike.

.375 H&H is belted. Not likely he's going to move the belt.

Only commenting because my late uncle was Frank Wells. Not that Frank Wells but same name. I think the other guys are on the trail with bad primer/FP Spring.

Was the gun stored for an extended period with the bolt cocked? Potentially causing the firing pin spring to weaken over time?

Not likely but possible I suppose....

I thought that keeping a spring compressed didn't weaken it but frequent compression/decompression did.

It could also be a primer that was not seated deep enough. When I first started using Wolf primers. Their cup is harder and the anvil sticks up out of them more that others and when I seated them with my Lee hand primers you feel the anvil hit the bottom of the pocket but I found that I needed to apply more force to actually have the primer cup hit bottom of the pocket compressing the anvil against the pellet in the cup. I had fail to fire problems until I figured this out. On the first strike the primer looked like it was a very light strike because it was shoving the primer deeper into the primer pocket. Usually it would go off with the second or third try.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.