Frustrating! sako extractor?

Have you pulled your bolt and checked how well the cases hold on the extractor, if your just giving it a light tap to get them out it sounds more like the extractor is just not getting on the rim correctly. Compare the rim and grove between the Nosler and Rem, often times different brands will have a thicker or thinner rim or a shallower grove.

Have you pulled your bolt and checked how well the cases hold on the extractor, if your just giving it a light tap to get them out it sounds more like the extractor is just not getting on the rim correctly. Compare the rim and grove between the Nosler and Rem, often times different brands will have a thicker or thinner rim or a shallower grove.

Good idea! ill go check!

this is the second firing on this brass and the guy I got it from full length sized it. i ran it through my neck sizer just to be sure i had the neck tension i wanted so i know its not that.

That's interesting. The only other thing I could think of on the sizing side of things is that maybe the guys sizing set up didn't bump it quite enough for your chamber.

I had a similar fight with my .300 RUM that I built on a Stevens 200 action only I was using Reloader 25. Mine was a temperature issue though. At 50 degrees I could shoot all day with no problems. At 80 degrees I could shoot two at two minute intervals and then the third one would stick.

its actually a little cooler now than it was when i worked up the load it was 58 degrees this morning.... I will tinker a little bit today and let you guys know if i figured anything out.

There is a good chance that your once fired Nosler brass was fired in a chamber larger than in your rifle so the brass memory allowed it to swell to the size of the original chamber in which it was fired. You will most likely not have a problem with the new Nosler brass.

There is a good chance that your once fired Nosler brass was fired in a chamber larger than in your rifle so the brass memory allowed it to swell to the size of the original chamber in which it was fired. You will most likely not have a problem with the new Nosler brass.
Brass memory? I have never heard of this. i cant imagine brass being able to swell and stick in the chamber like that with anything less than an over pressured load

by the way i stuck a piece of brass in the bolt and gave it everything i had and i couldnt make the extractor fail. so its looking like im gonna back it off a smidgen and see what that does for me.

I took it out this morning with some shells I loaded with a 1/2 grain less (89.5) and no stuck cases and I am still at about 3100 fps. so I am going to mess with it some more with this combo, (more groups and get a bigger sample of velocity. But hopefully this is it I would really like to get a bunch of shells loaded up so I can put this sucker to work.

Mike, You are running close to over max. So you may want to consider further load work up from a large batch of powder of the same lot. That way you won't go to another pound and have stuck cases again. Last time I changed lot numbers it was 30 FPS difference on a 91 gr. charge.
Just a thought.

Jeff

Mike, You are running close to over max. So you may want to consider further load work up from a large batch of powder of the same lot. That way you won't go to another pound and have stuck cases again. Last time I changed lot numbers it was 30 FPS difference on a 91 gr. charge.
Just a thought.

Jeff

yeah I am planning on testing it some more and maybe even seeing what 89 grains is like. I have a bunch from the same lot so I am going to put it through some tests which include shooting it during the hot part of the day and letting my shells sit in the hot chamber for a few minutes before i shoot them. I am going to try and make them stick basically and if I fail then i will feel pretty comfortable. I feel that I am on the right track though. I just need to find my safety zone, where I know I wont have any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.