Forming 6.5 prc from 300 prc

Turbo2160

Hello everyone.. just wondering if anyone else has tryed to make 6.5 prc brass out of 300 prc brass.. I'm supper new at brass forming and could use some pointers.. As I just keep folding in the necks.Sorry no pictures as I just whent back to work and forgot to take some.. I'm using
- Once fired hornady 300prc brass
- trimmed to 2.050
-Amp annealed
-imperial sizing wax
- Co-ax press
- RCBS & Redding & Hornady "FL"

Hello everyone.. just wondering if anyone else has tryed to make 6.5 prc brass out of 300 prc brass.. I'm supper new at brass forming and could use some pointers.. As I just keep folding in the necks.Sorry no pictures as I just whent back to work and forgot to take some.. I'm using
- Once fired hornady 300prc brass
- trimmed to 2.050
-Amp annealed
-imperial sizing wax
- Co-ax press
- RCBS & Redding & Hornady "FL"
In the past I have necked down 7mm to 6.5 but I did it in small increments using a bushing die and then turned the necks. Not sure if you can go from 30 to 6.5 without issues or not as I have never tried it myself.

Yeah, not even close to being the same case. Unless you're trying to build a 6.5-300PRC? If so then neck down and let her fly!

Attachments

• 15955806-0248-4406-A429-A55D41009AFF.jpeg
    15955806-0248-4406-A429-A55D41009AFF.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 225
this can be done but it is a lot of work with a high failure rate. but if your determined to try start with a 338 RCM die then a 300RCM die shortened .090. to get to 7mm use a Hornady neck sizing die and last your 6.5 PRC die. turn necks to .015 after 338 RCM die and again at the end when you're at 6.5 PRC.
once fired brass is the most difficult to reform new is a lot easier. anneal after 338 sizing and again before 6.5 sizing. don't over lube cases thinking it will be easier it wont help only make a mess. apply pressure to press slowly and evenly and you will actually be able to feel the brass flowing as you go don't just run brass in like your resizing. slow and steady and be patient

Are you trying to make a necked down 300 prc? Or trying to form standard 6.5 prc brass from 300 prc? Because the 6.5 and 300 variants are completely different and I can't see that working out.
I am trying to form 6.5 prc brass from 300 prc brass

Short action vs Long action.

If new, you may be better off selling the 300 PRC brass and trying to find 6.5...

Short action vs Long action.

If new, you may be better off selling the 300 PRC brass and trying to find 6.5...
Ya I know what u mean.. I'm like everyone elts on the waiting list for brass.. I have lots of ADG, Lapua and Hornady.. I was hoping to experiment with the Hornady brass before going to the good stuff..lol

I am trying to form 6.5 prc brass from 300 prc brass
What folks are trying to relay is that despite the three common letters at the end, there is no direct relationship between the two cartridges.

Practically speaking, it would be like trying to form .308 cases from 30-06 parent cases. The "30…" at the front doesn't mean much for ease of forming brass from the other.

Last edited:
First of all, this not the 6.5 PRC case in section. It's another cartridge case being used as an example of the taper inside cartridge cases:

1647354529736.png

Looking at the inside of the case illustration you will see a taper in the case wall. Note that the thickness of the wall increases the further down the case as you proceed. Trying to use the longer .300 PRC case and shorten it to the 6.5 PRC dimension only creates a lot more work for you and your tools. In fact, this increased work results in what you call crumpling. Too much resistance to the reducing factor of the dies being used.

Since both of these cases are in high demand, I suggest that you consider using a slightly different case until the pressure on the supply chain eases a little more.

Here is a supply of the 6.5 GAP 4S cases:

https://www.gaprecision.net/hornady-6-5-mm-gap4s-brass.html

The case has a little more capacity than the 6.5 PRC and has been used under the name 6.5 SAUM as well. I've shot this cartridge since it was under development at GAP. Skip all the hard work and aggravation, buy what's available until the supplies recuperate.

Push comes to shove, the 6.5-284 Shehane gives up nothing to the 6.5 PRC. I do use this cartridge in a intermediate length action with a magazine length of 3.2 inches. The twist rate is faster in order to accommodate the longer, heavier bullets when needed.

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
making 308 out of 06 brass is easier than you think. I made a bunch of it for the kids locally last year when you couldn't find 308 anywhere.

for those that say it isn't going to happen think again. You wouldn't believe the things i have formed, all it takes is the right stuff and will to make it happen

making 308 out of 06 brass is easier than you think. I made a bunch of it for the kids locally last year when you couldn't find 308 anywhere.

for those that say it isn't going to happen think again. You wouldn't believe the things i have formed, all it takes is the right stuff and will to make it happen
Ha—I knew it was only a matter of time before a creative and resourceful member chimed in!

Nothing is impossible. Not all things are reasonable for the average Joe without strong guidance. Perhaps you can walk OP through how you would approach the project.