Flute or not?

This is what Lilja says about fluting on their website one might think they know what they are talking but as we all see even experts on the subject have different opinions

Fluted Barrels

Fluting barrels for both competitive target and hunting rifles is quite popular. There are two advantages to using a fluted barrel. Improved accuracy is one advantage because of increased barrel stiffness. If we compare a fluted barrel to one that is not fluted, both weighing the same, the fluted barrel is stiffer. This is because the fluted barrel will be of a larger diameter than the unfluted barrel of the same weight and length. Increasing the diameter of a barrel greatly increases its rigidity. Fluting may also allow for a longer barrel, if weight is a consideration. Another advantage to fluting is the increased cooling rate of the barrel because of the greater amount of surface area exposed to the air. Please look at our FAQ section on fluting too

Flute yea flute it, it looks cool, it works as far as cooling faster,it reduces a slight bit of weight not worth noting!, it does not change POI, it does not aid in accuracy, it does not detract from accuracy, it adds resale value,it does look cool, and it's your rifle do as you please! Flute the F out of it!

Everyone needs to watch the sniper 101 video posted on the thread. Mathematics and patterns don't lie! I have been watching his video series. He is awesome. Don't flute...worried about weight? Lift weights....

at the sake of not trying to argue here I'll just say this, I try to use common sense when it comes to how things are made and used and I'm sure we will all have a difference of opinion on this as we've had, but I understand how barrel steels function as well as heat treating of metals works and as was pointed out in the vid its about harmonics and the proper distribution of heat, the other thing folks forget about is barrel makers and gun manufactures are a business and are out to make MONEY:D most folks have no knowledge of info that I posted in the video and therefore tend to believe what people tell them who are trying to remove MONEY {as much as they can} from your pocket, add bling and they will come:rolleyes: and most people are satisfied, so IMO as was stated the math does not lie! the firearm industry has to create new bling every once in awhile to keep sales moving and money roll in! lets take a Glock hand gun shall we? notice the trend we have today? almost all firearm manufactures make a pistol that's basically a Glock! WHY you may ask? because that's what sells! thank you thank you I'll be here all week:D

I used to be a big fan of fluted barrels mostly because of looks, but not so much anymore. I like my unfluted barrels just as much, but that's just me. If you look like the looks of a fluted barrel and it's worth the extra cost to you, then by all means get a fluted barrel. There is very little practical benefit to a fluted barrel.

An unfluted barrel of the same diameter will be more rigid than a fluted one, period. A fluted barrel of the same weight will be slightly (not greatly) more rigid than an unfluted barrel. Basically you loose about one contour size of weight and rigidity with fluting. So a #6 unfluted barrel is going to weigh about the same as a #7 fluted and have close to the same rigidity.

It's true that more surface area will dissipate heat quicker. However the increase of surface from fluting is minimal, maybe less than 10%. So you can shoot maybe 10 rounds to 9 to keep the barrel at the same temp.

Those are the math and science facts.

If the looks are worth the extra price to you, then do it. But that's all you're paying for.

If you set aside an assumption of more tactical BS (which is hard to do anymore), and consider how planned fluting might be beneficial, I think you'll see that it actually can be.

There are as many levels and types of fluting as you can plan, and some cases provide a great deal of weight shedding while still increasing rigidity over a same weight non-fluted contour.
For instance;
Let's say you actually carry a hunting gun in the field and shoot at game off a bipod(instead of a bench rest). You're in a hilly area with fence lines and streams to cross, and you've figured out that your limit is ~11lbs worth of gun.
With this, you wouldn't build a 17lb gun for the sake of barrel rigidity. Right?
You wouldn't go 5-6" too short for the cartridge for the sake of barrel weight. Right?

You might consider what the OP is considering; Go with a very heavy taper/non-taper, at plenty of length to burn the powder(inside the bore), and use enough fluting to reach the weight goal.
You won't have the rigidity of a 17lb gun, but you'll have more than an 11lb gun without fluting, and still make your weight.

This is not expensive, and if the barrel does happen to shoot well he can get it melonite treated, to more than make up the cost in barrel life.
I say it's not so easy to dismiss a plan like this, that works, once you've accepted rational goals.

You are never going to have an 11 lb rifle be as rigid as a 17 lb rifle with the same length barrel... not even close.

Your stock is going to weigh 2-3 lbs, your scope is going to weigh 1 1/2 - 2 lbs, your action is going to weigh 2-3 lbs and lets forget the ammo and bi-pod. So on average, your rifle minus the barrel is going to weigh 6-7 lbs. That is 5 lbs of barrel to 11 lbs of barrel best case. No way. I don't see how you could remove more than 10-15% of the barrels mass without seriously affecting its integrity.

itll change the harmonics but not in a bad way... could be good, bad or no change.. more than likely no change.. but itll look cooler in my opinion. and shave about a half polund

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.