Barrel Flute Finish

Edd

I recently received my first custom fluted barrel. The dimensions of the flutes for length width and symmetry appear to be perfect. I was surprised at the poor finish of machined surface of the grooves. Is this normal or do some barrel makers have a nice shinny machined surface finish on the grooves?

I'd say that is is not "normal", but is far from uncommon.

Many use a ball end mill, but it is not the optimal use for the tool. It's easy to leave a less than perfect finish.

Have you talked to your barrel supplier about it?

Have you talked to your barrel supplier about it?
No I haven't, I intend to use this barrel.

I need to order another barrel soon and will talk to them before I order another one. What brand of barrels have a slick shinny finish on the grooves.

Loss, what am I losing?
TIME! Unless you just like waiting. I've been fitting and chambering both cut and buttoned for 20+ years. No practical difference. Order a cut from most any maker and wait and wait and wait,,,, I can have a Hart or Broughton in hand in 8 weeks or less. I've used both and either make honest 1000yd. shooters in the hands of competitors or capable varminters. A good barrel, no matter how it's made, is just that,, a good barrel. Other than that, it's just a "mind set". :D

For the amount of barrels I'm going to need in my lifetime, I think I can plan the lead time. I don't have to set and wait for a barrel to arrive. I've got way too many things to do to waste any time.

But back to the question on slick and shiny grooves. What cut rifled barrel makers have it.

For the amount of barrels I'm going to need in my lifetime, I think I can plan the lead time. I don't have to set and wait for a barrel to arrive. I've got way too many things to do to waste time.

But back to the question on slick and shiny grooves. What cut rifled barrel makers have it.
Ya' can't have a discussion with a closed mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.