First Pdog shoot

SomeITGuy

First time Pdog hunt

Hey guys, so my father-in-law is taking me on my first pdog hunt in a few months and I'm looking to start stocking up on a few things. I'm a moderately avid shooter with a decent collection of stuff, so what I had thought to bring was a nice volquartsen 1022, a nice 5.56 I built, and just for a bit of excitement, an LWRC REPR in 7.62x51. I hear a lot of people talking about other calibers, but unfortunately that's all I have to work with for the time being.

So with that, would all 3 rifles work for the shoot or is there one that you'd leave behind (I'd want to take at least 2)?

Also, what economic ammo would you recommend and how much?

And finally, I was planning on bringing my suppressors for all three. Is it worth it or would it just be a hassle?

Thanks for all the help!

-Some IT guy.

I would take all 3, and the suppressor if legal where you're going.

The 5.56 may be the most useful depending on how well it shoots. The 22's are fun, but red mist is funner.

Awesome!! Thanks for the advice! I just didn't want to be lugging around something that I might not get a lot of use out of!

I've never used a 22 rim fire in PD's But this year my friend brought his 17 wsm and he just took care of everything close and I only shot at the one's over 150 yards.

It has been my experience that spring hunts require lots of bullets because of all the half grow pups. You can take out the adult when 6 of them are sunning and the pups don't know enough to seek cover. Non hunted 60 acre colonies. I have shot each ar-15's till they were hot and I was on to my third rifle waiting for the first one to cool. Hunted adults can turn into a shooting and then waiting game. If you show up at a field and there are already dead dogs everywhere It can be a slow day

The most I have ever shot in three days is 1340 223 rounds, This year I used about 600 243 rounds.

I'm not sure if you reload or if your rifle likes them, but I'm such a big fan of the Hornady 40gr Vmax bullets (223 Rem). Incredible velocity and accuracy that most people won't even believe out of my AR 15.

I'm not sure if you reload or if your rifle likes them, but I'm such a big fan of the Hornady 40gr Vmax bullets (223 Rem). Incredible velocity and accuracy that most people won't even believe out of my AR 15.

Fiocchi loads that bullet, and it works good in the bolt guns I've shot it in. Generally available. Bass Pro shop, Cabela's etc.

I've never used a 22 rim fire in PD's But this year my friend brought his 17 wsm and he just took care of everything close and I only shot at the one's over 150 yards.
out the adult when 6 of them are sunning and the pups don't know enough to seek cover. Non hunted 60 acre colonies. I have shot each ar-15's till they were hot and I was on to my third rifle waiting for the first one to cool. Hunted adults can turn into a shooting and then waiting game. If you show up at a field and there are already dead dogs everywhere It can be a slow day

The most I have ever shot in three days is 1340 223 rounds, This year I used about 600 243 rounds.
It has been my experience that spring hunts require lots of bullets because of all the half grow pups. You can take

Depending on volume-one can get a a decent 17HMR, for the difference in ammo price, a good step up from .22 LR

Bring all three, and some bore cleaning supplies for all three too. Depending on how much the dawgs have been shot at the .22 might be a stretch.

What is your twist, barrel length, and FPM ? It has to be up around 12-14 twist. I originally bought a 1:7 and 20 inch ar and 55 gr bullets went through the paper side ways at 100 yards over 3000 fpm I could only use 75 gr. bullets+

AR 15 20 ish barrels need 1:9 for 55 gr I bought a couple match 20 and 24 inch 1:8 and 1:9 and 62 - 80 grain work

......What is your twist, barrel length, and FPM ? It has to be up around 12-14 twist. I originally bought a 1:7 and 20 inch ar and 55 gr bullets went through the paper side ways at 100 yards over 3000 fpm I could only use 75 gr. bullets+..........

Interesting-I have a Tikka with 1-8" it has shot all bullet weights to 75 grains without issue.

Accuracy has been best with the 75 grain match ammo, but everything else shoots good enough for sage rats, out to 200 yards. We certainly don't get them all, but no indication of instability in 2 years of shooting high volume sage rats.

Mostly the 53 grain V-max, but 40's included. We don't shoot the heavies much as the don't offer the the launch or splat factor of other choices, and they tend to skip a bit.

Interesting-I have a Tikka with 1-8" it has shot all bullet weights to 75 grains without issue.

Mostly the 53 grain V-max, but 40's included. We don't shoot the heavies much as the don't offer the the launch or splat factor of other choices, and they tend to skip a bit.

Have you chronoed any of these loads? MY 1-7 and 1-8 have the 55 grain flying through the paper at odd angles at over 3200 fps at 100 yards. You have to get down to about under 2800 to use 55 in a 1=7 and 2950 with a 1=8

What is your twist, barrel length, and FPM ? It has to be up around 12-14 twist. I originally bought a 1:7 and 20 inch ar and 55 gr bullets went through the paper side ways at 100 yards over 3000 fpm I could only use 75 gr. bullets+

AR 15 20 ish barrels need 1:9 for 55 gr I bought a couple match 20 and 24 inch 1:8 and 1:9 and 62 - 80 grain work

I did a write up on it here;
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f111/moa-challenge-157578/index6.html#post1131449

It's a 1:9 twist, 16 inch barrel. I have a chrono but have not chronographed these loads yet. I only stated the velocity is high from what the reloading manuals state.

The picture I posted in that link is exceptional accuracy. However, that bullet + powder combo shot all loads well. None of the loads I tested shot over 3/4 of an inch. It appears to me that specific AR15 REALLY likes that Hornady 40gr vmax bullet for some reason. It breaks most of the "rules" I've learned about accuracy.

Just to prove to myself it was not pure luck, I've repeated this same test multiple trips to the range.

What's ironic is I got that AR because it's only 5.8lbs. I did not intend on it being so accurate. But now I'm scared to make any changes to it at all, so it's staying 100% stock! :)

Edit - one more thing. I've tried a couple bullets in the 69gr range and neither of them shot very good at all out of that same AR.

Have you chronoed any of these loads? MY 1-7 and 1-8 have the 55 grain flying through the paper at odd angles at over 3200 fps at 100 yards. You have to get down to about under 2800 to use 55 in a 1=7 and 2950 with a 1=8

No chronograph to this point. Essentially all factory loads. Rifle has been spring sage rat shooting for the last 2 years, 500 rounds a day minimum. Mostly youngsters shooting, but the Fiocchi 40 grain V-Max, as well as the Hornady 53 grain Superperformance have been minute of rat to 200 yards.

Me and a buddy went out 2 years ago and he was using an AR 5.56 and .22 rim fire and I brought my .17hmr and .22-250 and I used the .17hmr for everything within 150-200 yards and it does an awesome job on them. Would highly recommend .17hmr its a great little round and boy does it make the dogs pop.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts