Long Range Pdog

jerrschmitt

We have been shooting the same spot for four years. It's public land and holds about 120 acres of Prairie Dogs. Usually, three or four of us camp there for five days and have plenty of shooting without moving.

My buddy Mike was shooting a BSA single shot bolt action that I had put together and I was shooting my 6mm BR Remington. Mike had installed a 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster mil dot scope in Leupold rings and a 20 moa base. We had shot it on the local range out to 600 yards to verify the 1000 yd dope sheet that I made up from an Excel spread sheet. We had a wind meter to help us gage the wind and a Target rich environment to play with.

6br032.jpg

Mike decided to try for an old dog that had been popping up at around 850 to 900 yards out. It was the farthest hole we could see. I had measured the distance to the road when I made my 836 yard shot a few years earlier so I knew this guy was going to be close to 900 yards.

09doghunt069.jpg

We figured Mike needed 21 minutes of elevation and 9 minutes of windage to connect. He dialed in the dope, set up the shot and squeezed it off.

I was watching the dog and as Mike fired, the dog ran for his hole, then ran the other way, then back toward his hole, then died. At 900 yards his 75 VMAX has slowed to around 1400 FPS so the splat factor is gone. The time of flight for that round is 1.290 seconds so Mike was able to get his scope back on the dog in time to see him expire. We walked out to the dog and took a GPS measurement. When I entered it into Google Earth we found the distance to be 915 yards.

Mikeshot2.jpg

Mike's shot hit that dog in the head and he swears that's where he was aiming.

09doghunt075.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts