First Pdog shoot

Great thread.

I would like to go this coming season, is the best time to go in Mid May? I read all over that if you're late you'll be hunting towns that have been shot at for weeks, and I don't want to shoot and wait for dogs to pop up again...

I have a friend in Valentine, NE to stay and and would like to travel less than an hour one way to find the towns. Should be plenty of opportunity on the reservation?

I plan on bringing a 22-250 bolt, and 2 AR's in 223.

We have always gone out mid may - early June to exploit the pups. Bring every gun you can. Many a trip ID leave one caliber and wish I had brought it. I never hurts to have too much firepowah. smallest I bring is the 17hmr....

You can't take too many rifles or ammo! One year I took an HMR and it did good work under 150 yds. Last year I took a Ruger 77 /17WSM, along with several other rifles. It became my fav! I hit one at 303 yds. and any under 200 were blown up! Red mist! I believe mufflers are legal in S.D. ( I shot them anyways). Shooting suppressed is 100 times more fun!

Hard to go wrong with an accurate 223! Definitely bring the mufflers! Sooo much more enjoyable shooting with cans. As always, be sure of what's in the background where you are sending those pills. I have heard ricochets from just about all bullets fired. The ground is usually very hard and even varmint bullets at high speeds will still go zinging off.
The 17HMR is a fine 200 yd. rimfire, but the 17 WSM is even better!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts