EPIC PDog HAMMER TRAIL

I think the length and surface bearing area contribute a lot to the heat generated in a barrel - maybe as much as the powder blast itself. If you've ever gone downrange and found a bullet you've just shot in the embankment - it is smoking hot and probably not due that much to the powder blast. Also most match grade barrels are tighter at the muzzle causing even more friction and heat. I have always looked for "cooked" meat around the bullet, but the bullets I use mainly leave exit holes on the way out!! This is the reason I like bullets designed with less bearing area for their length - less friction, higher velocities with less wear and tear on the barrel. I also think having multiple bullet gas checks to prevent the gas from escaping around the bullet makes them more efficient.
They also get hot from friction in flight. How hot I don't know.

They also get hot from friction in flight. How hot I don't know.
They get really hot. Friend of mine got shot 4 times in Afghanistan from about 10m. The 1 bullet that impacted the edge of his plate and was thankfully caught by his plate carrier burned his belly like a branding iron. And that was from an AK with 50 year old ammo. He's got some wild stories once he's had 8-10 beers lol

The Hammer trails are fun, daughter has been getting her 6.5 Creedmore tuned up at 600 and 1000 yard for elk this season and it's fun to watch them roll out there and smack targets. Goal is to get a Hammer trail smoking a long range bull this year!!!

My cousin in northwest Texas has been using 124 Hammers in his 30-06 for the past 2 years for deer and hogs, and loves 'em! He says that it's the best deer combo he has found in over 40 years of hunting. He and his boys do a lot of deer hunting there!