First long range bull elk

Ultramag45

I shot this 342 inch 7x6 on the last day of my New Mexico elk hunt... conditions were tough not many bulls around, due to the weather... very windy and cold... I glassed this bull from 1200 yards and got to within 535yards . One shot from the 338 RUM and the rest is history..... It may not be Long Range to some, but with that wind of about 20 -30 mph, that was a shot of a lifetime for me, with more to come when Shawn gets done with my new Rifle......
carlsbull2.jpg

carlsbull.jpg

carlsbull3.jpg
gun)

A very good shot in difficult winds. Different looking antlers.

I am thinking about hunting New Mexico because I was hoping to avoid snow.

Beauty of a bull! Lots of character. Fine shot under challenging conditions. Doesn't get much better. Nice work and congrats! Thanks for the story and pics.

hunting all season, tough conditions, taking a great bull on the last day with the shot of a lifetime. it doesn't get any better than that. this hunt will be one of your fondest memories. congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
535 yds with 20-30 mph wind is a great long range shot!

Did you have to make any adjustments for a difference in elevation?

Bernie

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.