First bedding job! Axis/Boyds

DryShave

As the title says, this is my first attempt at a glass bedding job, the bedding compound is presently curing and I really hope I am not creating a one piece rifle.
The project is to create a very affordable rifle with which I can learn the ins and outs of long range shooting. This is not my idea of an "ultimate" long range rig, but an affordable first effort.
The action is a Savage Axis in 30-06.
The stock is a Boyds featherweight thumbhole.
I got some grade 5 bolts from the fastener store and cut their heads off. These align the action to the stock. I drilled holes around the two bedding areas to allow the bedding compound (JB Weld) to grip the stock. I then coated the action and bolts in release agent (Sno-Seal), applied JB to the stock and lightly clamped in place.

Pics below,

C6E2E3AD-6DDD-40D1-BA72-D9D4180F95A7.jpg
[/URL]

21052274-6980-458B-9FA7-96042AC9E028.jpg
[/URL]

732A5E45-1906-417D-A225-4C9D4A0901B7.jpg
[/URL]

4313E143-221C-4F55-981F-701B0BE377FA.jpg
[/URL]

I'm wondering what the results will be since the lug is physically attached to the action. Just wondering how much play will be left after the bedding job

It's 20 hours since I clamped it together. I really had to work at it to get the action out of the stock. What I found is my release agent didn't work around the front action screw. When the two pieces separated, a good chunk of the stock came out with the action. See pics.
So it's time for round two. I cleaned off the action, reapplied a heavy coat of release agent, scuffed up the areas to be redone, reapplied the bedding compound, and clamped it all together.
Lessons learned? Don't skimp on release agent. Don't give up if things don't go perfectly the first time.
I will update in 24 hrs.

8130CF21-2F99-4C36-A6B0-BDCBDCA7CDEF.jpg
[/URL]

48A8E312-1F1F-4627-8A71-2CD8DB220D44.jpg
[/URL]

59C32CEC-9160-4672-97EC-B63F282B281C.jpg
[/URL]

76F8F1FD-7378-4C53-AF0D-BDCCFD2FB3A8.jpg
[/URL]

I use Kiwi Neutral shoe polish for my release agent, works everytime. I hope you are successful this time.

+1 on the KIWI ! after the KIWI sets up a bit, use a tissue to lightly polish to a smooth finish, that way the bedding will have a smooth finish instead of being rough and streaky E

I'm wondering what the results will be since the lug is physically attached to the action. Just wondering how much play will be left after the bedding job

midwesthunter, this recoil lug is glued into the stock. There is no noticeable play between the lug and the action once the action is set in place, even before being bedded. The lug is lightly tapered at the top to allow the action to fit easily over it.

It is a strange setup though when compared to a rem700 or other integral recoil lug action. Others have found great success turning them into consistent shooters though.

Even the initial semi-failed bedding job sure firmed up the side to side play in the action to stock fit, hoping for good improvement in consistency at the range!

Dry, +2 on the Kiwi neutral. For all you first timers to bedding, the splines/grooves on the barrel nut of the Savages must be filled with modeling clay flush with the edge. The unfilled groves will lock to the stock if bedding is applied to that area. Haven't heard of this happening, but the possibility is there.

You can also tape the barrel nut. I filled my grooves with clay then taped over the whole thing to ensure free float from the lug forward. I also used Johnsons wax with no problems.

Things turned out better this time but not perfect. The thick layer of boot sealer(see pic) worked only marginally, still allowing some compound to stick to the action. I would warn anyone considering a similar project to avoid this product.
As you can see from the pictures, I didn't put any compound in front of the recoil lug. From the lug forward is all free floating. I am working on the theory that any contact in this area will cause deflection as the barrel heats, and therefore vertical shot stringing. My barrel is short at 21" and should not inflict unusual strain on the action.

A29B419C-BA53-4C77-9E41-68DD3292EB83.jpg
[/URL]

55DBCE4B-BA19-4D61-BAD5-EE2991A1FE66.jpg
[/URL]

D5475D83-7772-40C4-A68D-D25E95E76965.jpg
[/URL]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts