New Rifle and Bedding job!

Well I think I am going to get one of these DNZ mounts. I found a DNZ Tactical 30mm with 20 MOA for $120 and it looks very solid! It has 4 screws per ring and 4 screws mounting the base to the receiver, looks tough as nails!I posted a picture of it below.

dnz mount.jpg

Mud, do you think I would be better going with the mount that has 2 screws per ring or the Tactical model with 4 screws per ring?

Mud, do you think I would be better going with the mount that has 2 screws per ring or the Tactical model with 4 screws per ring?

I would go with the 4-screw Tac model, honestly. Mine came free on a rifle I bought and pulled apart to build a custom out of. That gray and black B&C Medalist on my .30-06 AI also came off that same rifle I pulled apart. Funny how those two pieces ended up back together. LOL

BTW, anyone who tells you that you can't open the barrel channel on a B&C Medalist Classic to accept a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour barrel is wrong. These pictures prove it can be done. :D I've read alot of internet posts of people saying it can't be done... That combo makes for a lightweight long range capable rifle, that weighs around 10 lbs and is very packable.

I would go with the 4-screw Tac model, honestly. Mine came free on a rifle I bought and pulled apart to build a custom out of. That gray and black B&C Medalist on my .30-06 AI also came off that same rifle I pulled apart. Funny how those two pieces ended up back together. LOL

BTW, anyone who tells you that you can't open the barrel channel on a B&C Medalist Classic to accept a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour barrel is wrong. These pictures prove it can be done. :D I've read alot of internet posts of people saying it can't be done... That combo makes for a lightweight long range capable rifle, that weighs around 10 lbs and is very packable.

I was leaning towards the Tactical model as well. Looks more heavy duty and bigger built compared to the standard model. I also like the 20 MOA that is built into this mount, don't know if I will need it with the .300WM, but if I plan on shooting beyond 1000 yards it will be nice to have.

I like that stock! That rifle looks like a very fine rifle that is capable of long shots and won't drag you done when packing it around!

That rifle was a custom build. That action started life as an old .270 ADL, and that barrel was a factory Remington Varmint 26" .308 Win 1:12 barrel.

I had my smith blueprint the action, true the barrel threads and lug shoulder, hand-lap the bore, re-crown, and rechamber to .30-06 AI with his "tight chamber" reamer (standard neck dimensions, but the body expansion is reduced so the brass barely expands). I kept the barrel at 26", for velocity reasons, and because I don't believe in shorter barrels for LR rifles. Then had him open the barrel channel, and bed and float.

I haven't finalized load development yet, but I'm thinking I will stick to the 62gr of 7828 SSC behind the Berger 185 VLD, with a Fed 210M primer in R-P brass (free range pickups :cool: ). So far that is showing the most promise. Someone ran my gun/load specs through QL, and it said that it should be pushing the 185's around 2900 fps. Which is pretty stout.

That rifle was a custom build. That action started life as an old .270 ADL, and that barrel was a factory Remington Varmint 26" .308 Win 1:12 barrel.

I had my smith blueprint the action, true the barrel threads and lug shoulder, hand-lap the bore, re-crown, and rechamber to .30-06 AI with his "tight chamber" reamer (standard neck dimensions, but the body expansion is reduced so the brass barely expands). I kept the barrel at 26", for velocity reasons, and because I don't believe in shorter barrels for LR rifles. Then had him open the barrel channel, and bed and float.

I haven't finalized load development yet, but I'm thinking I will stick to the 62gr of 7828 SSC behind the Berger 185 VLD, with a Fed 210M primer in R-P brass (free range pickups :cool: ). So far that is showing the most promise. Someone ran my gun/load specs through QL, and it said that it should be pushing the 185's around 2900 fps. Which is pretty stout.

Nice! I knew you had a .30-06 AI but didn't know if you finalized the loads. A 185 at 2900fps is wicked for an '06 class cartridge! Check out those Berger Match Hybrid 185s, they have a BC of .569, which is a little better than the 185gr Hunting VLD. I ran some numbers through a ballistics calculator comparing the 185 Match Hybrid vs. the 190 Hunting VLD for my .300WM. The 190 has a BC of .570 but the 185gr Hybrid nearly matches the 190's BC but can be pushed faster. In the end, the 185 did a little better than the 190 at ranges out to 1000yds according to the calculator.

I'll have to look for the 185 Match Hybrids. Thanks for the tip. That rifle was going to be a temporary build, but everything went together so smoothly, and it handled so well, and it just shoots so **** good...Not to mention the purchase of the $120 set of dies...I couldn't bring myself to tear it back down to build a .280 AI. I'll just find another nice ADL or old BDL to pull apart for my .280 AI build.

I'll have to look for the 185 Match Hybrids. Thanks for the tip. That rifle was going to be a temporary build, but everything went together so smoothly, and it handled so well, and it just shoots so **** good...Not to mention the purchase of the $120 set of dies...I couldn't bring myself to tear it back down to build a .280 AI. I'll just find another nice ADL or old BDL to pull apart for my .280 AI build.

I think they are technically called a 185gr Match Hybrid Target, but yeah they are a very efficient bullet. Would give you just a little better ballistics without suffering anything. Great to hear it shoots so well. I have always been into wildcats and I keep saying I'm going to have one, and one day I'm definitely building one. When I burn out my barrel or get tired of my .243, I've already decided I want a 6.5mm and I'm leaning towards a .260 or .260 AI.

BTW, I found a DNZ Tactical 30mm Remington base with 20 MOA in stock on SWFA so I believe that's where I will be ordering it. Can't wait to start shooting it! Already have my brass prepped. Just waiting to finish the rifle before charging any cases and seating any slugs. Going to start with a minimum or mild dose of 7828. In my experience, factory Remington's can easily handle max loads so I'm not afraid to load hot but I'm also looking for the accuracy. Will have to see where I end up!

Had a chance to shoot yet?
I have been impatiently waiting to hear your results.

I'm sorry I haven't updated you all yet. Have been really busy lately and just ordered my DNZ mount the other day. Went with the Tactical model with 30mm rings and 20 MOA built in. Should be here early next week, so unfortunately won't get you results until next week if the Prom weekend isn't to hectic. Hang in there, I will get the results posted as quick as I can.

I'm sorry I haven't updated you all yet. Have been really busy lately and just ordered my DNZ mount the other day. Went with the Tactical model with 30mm rings and 20 MOA built in. Should be here early next week, so unfortunately won't get you results until next week if the Prom weekend isn't to hectic. Hang in there, I will get the results posted as quick as I can.

Prom? You know that money for a tux, dinner with your date, and flowers can buy a lot of ammo and rifle parts!! I went and did 5 stand with my old rem 870 and a couple of my highschool buddies during my prom. Never regretted it! :D

Prom? You know that money for a tux, dinner with your date, and flowers can buy a lot of ammo and rifle parts!! I went and did 5 stand with my old rem 870 and a couple of my highschool buddies during my prom. Never regretted it! :D

Haha tell me about. Oh well, I'm still able to afford everything for shooting so might as well go out for a night ha!

I received my DNZ mount today and got it torqued down onto the action and mounted my Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 MOA as well. Have not yet shot it but love this rig already! It feels very solid and the scope is crystal clear and has very positive clicks. I bore-sighted it today and I have 60 MOA of elevation up in the scope, I am so glad I ordered the mount with 20 MOA built in! The mount was a breeze to install and took less than 30 mins. Looking forward to breaking the barrel in and shooting some groups and getting some distance with it. The whole rig was definitely money well spent and all of that work over the summer has sure paid off! I posted some pictures below. Tell me what you all think so far!

IMG_20150429_194717.jpg

IMG_20150429_194820.jpg

IMG_20150429_194447591.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.